Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That is some story! ^
Agree, what a nightmare.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
When we had the catering strike we actively encouraged customers to bring their own food and drink.
Quite. But BA also gave out those delightful blue boxes containing food and wine, which I found was better than what was being served prior to the strike.

H
Old May 14, 2014, 12:51 pm

I always travel with a corkscrew. It's attached to the house keys on a key ring. Never had any problems with airport security:

True-Utility-Corkscrew

It's quite robust and does the job. Travelled with it for 3 years now.

Palmer
Old May 14, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes that's a good idea but I would only do it if travelling in economy though.
Why?

It can often be better than the food onboard even in F. For the sake of 12.50 you have a guarantee that you will have something you like to eat too. In the context of dropping a few thousand pounds on a flight this is cheap "insurance" that you will have something you like to eat.

Now that dinner in CE amounts pretty much to 3 small prawns on some lettuce, I may pick up my Plane food habit again. It is just a shame there isn't an outpost at LCY although Panopolis have takeout picnic boxes.

I used to do this all the time.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: FT
i would think this would be allowed on a plane.

http://www.amazon.com/MONOPOL-Two-pr.../dp/B0002WZR4K
Old May 14, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Life before the liquid ban, BYOB in 2003, posted on Airline Meals, but my pics, both on AA F...

Ch d'Yquem 1990, glass mega over-filled

Pichon Baron 1997, over-filled glass again (ISTR the meal was from J because the food/wine match was better. what a winetard I am!)
Old May 14, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Palmer
I always travel with a corkscrew. It's attached to the house keys on a key ring. Never had any problems with airport security:

True-Utility-Corkscrew

It's quite robust and does the job. Travelled with it for 3 years now.

Palmer
My experience- years and years through LHR and JFK with one of these no problem.

One trip through LGW say goodbye .
Old May 14, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, Miles and More Frequent Traveler, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Why?

It can often be better than the food onboard even in F. For the sake of 12.50 you have a guarantee that you will have something you like to eat too. In the context of dropping a few thousand pounds on a flight this is cheap "insurance" that you will have something you like to eat.

Now that dinner in CE amounts pretty much to 3 small prawns on some lettuce, I may pick up my Plane food habit again. It is just a shame there isn't an outpost at LCY although Panopolis have takeout picnic boxes.

I used to do this all the time.
will give them a try next week!
Old May 15, 2014, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I don't understand the corkscrew debate - how do the crew open the bottles of wine they serve onboard - surely they can't all be screwtop?
Old May 15, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by dsk7
I don't understand the corkscrew debate - how do the crew open the bottles of wine they serve onboard - surely they can't all be screwtop?
On long-haul and mid-haul flights there will be a corkscrew onboard but not on any short-haul flights.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by dsk7
'Xactly. Not sure where it's kept these days, before AVOD with the old video tape system it was kept in the tape library case in F.
Old May 15, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Riedel Os [well, the toughened restaurant ones] sound like a good idea for airlines. BA F glasses are of calvinist proportion I presume mainly to force thirsty customers to pace themselves (no one wants pissed pax) and not to deplete an expensive, constrained resource (the sauce), I doubt enjoyment of the contents really figured much in the design plan.

Speaking as a wino, QR's J product is really good - Lanson '99 fizz and then 2009 Brane Cantenac, 2008 Grand Puy Lacoste, etc
Old May 15, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Life before the liquid ban, BYOB in 2003, posted on Airline Meals, but my pics, both on AA F...

Ch d'Yquem 1990, glass mega over-filled

Pichon Baron 1997, over-filled glass again (ISTR the meal was from J because the food/wine match was better. what a winetard I am!)
Eccelent wine choices! Setting the standard for wines (de)served...
Old May 16, 2014, 2:45 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
That's handy to know. Are the whites chilled?
They are.

That is the reason for buying it there, instead of in the 'Tax Free' shop.

However, I belive they have some bottles in a fridge in the 'special selection' area.

bjorns
Old May 16, 2014, 2:55 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I find the idea all a bit strange.

What next.....BYOLobster?
Done that as well.

Brought my own lobster, other forms of seafood and even had an 'Afternoon Tea survival kit' made up by one of the Deli's in Stockholm.

I asked for a tray without the sandwiches an laid up my own meal on the plate.

When the cabin crew where dispensing the trays with afternoon tea, one of my fellow passangers pointed to my tray, and said that he'd rather have same as I was having.

I turned to my fellow passanger and told him it was a crew meal, but sometimes, if you asl nicely, some crew member may agree to swap.

The CC within earshot ran off to the galley and a lot of laughter and giggeling was heard, before they reapeared several minutes later.

bjorns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.