Search

I interviewed with BA this week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:52 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I interviewed with BA this week

So. I had an interview with BA this week for their Leaders for Business Graduate Scheme.

I had high hopes but after meeting some people in the HR recruitment team I decided to withdraw my application.

One thing that stood out - when mentioning improvements I discussed the constant cost cutting and outsourcing of products. I explained that it is my firm belief that outsourcing is bad for the brand and is ruining customer loyalty, and that on ground and in air products are risking being degraded as a result. They said that my opinion was "a bit too aggressive" for a job interview and negative comments were not seen as conductive for a job interview. I poked a bit more at this but won't go into much more detail as it was rather ridiculous how I was made to feel.

From the reminder interview I got the impressions they want people who will save the company money at any expense to their brand. The questions were largely based around making savings and looking for ways to improve efficiency with the same budgets. I'm all for it - but not when the savings are degrading the brand. And I stood by my statement.

I withdrew my application the same day.

If this is the attitude of people recruiting at BA for their future managers then god help us.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Your post is very interesting. It probably accords with what many regular flyers see. Many business plans involve making cuts whilst trying to maintain quality. The regular flyer notices the effects daily, the occasional flyer is unlikely to spot a difference.

Pointing out the error of their ways seldom brings rewards if they are not receptive.

The sound of the lone silver trumpet is drowned out by the brazen horns.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
You've got to accept that efficiency is the name of the game nowadays, but I do agree that you have to balance that against having a product that stands up well against its competition. There is a case of a cut too far.

Sounds like it wasn't an ideal match then?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Shocking? Yes
Surprising? No
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Did they know that you are a regular traveller with BA and so had first hand experience with the product from a customer perspective?

Another tactic would have been tell the what they wanted to hear, get the job and start working on the inside to make a difference.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rxfleming
I got the impressions they want people who will save the company money
Yes it's called making a profit.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:12 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Quote:

I got the impressions they want people who will save the company money

Yes it's called making a profit.
I was wondering when you would make your comment Hiddy. Ever the optimist.

You know I currently work for a company that makes a profit AND takes a great deal of care, effort and time with clients to really understand what they want. Sometimes each project isn't profitable but in the end it balances the books out through loyalty!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sounds like you had a lucky escape.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Thanks for sharing. About what we all thought.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or

One thing that stood out - when mentioning improvements I discussed the constant cost cutting and outsourcing of products. I explained that it is my firm belief that outsourcing is bad for the brand and is ruining customer loyalty, and that on ground and in air products are risking being degraded as a result. They said that my opinion was "a bit too aggressive" for a job interview and negative comments were not seen as conductive for a job interview. I poked a bit more at this but won't go into much more detail as it was rather ridiculous how I was made to feel.

From the reminder interview I got the impressions they want people who will save the company money at any expense to their brand. The questions were largely based around making savings and looking for ways to improve efficiency with the same budgets. I'm all for it - but not when the savings are degrading the brand. And I stood by my statement.

I withdrew my application the same day.
These programmes are not looking for a strong understanding of the business - you will learn that on the job - instead they are looking for a broader skill set that indicates you will make a good manager. Being able to make persuasive arguments will be valued, but you will need to be able to persuade senior people, including those whose decision you are challenging; it's far better to focus on what is better about what you're recommending rather than point out the flaws of others' action - that's the easier part. This will also indicate how well you work well in a teamwork environment.

You don't detail their response, but describe it as ridiculous, in any organisation you should expect to be challenged on your views and be able to deal with that well, even where the response of others is robust or less than constructive. Often in these interviews a degree of provocation can be revealing.

You say that you withdrew your application. Why? It doesn't seem from your account that either side were enthusiastic. If you were piqued that will tell them something too.

I do wonder whether aviation enthusiasts, unless with a degree of self-awareness, are disadvantaged over those with a more passing understanding of the business.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dan72
You don't detail their response, but describe it as ridiculous, in any organisation you should expect to be challenged on your views and be able to deal with that well, even where the response of others is robust or less than constructive. Often in these interviews a degree of provocation can be revealing.
+1

The realities of running a company are a bit different to the pipe dreams of a few frequent flyers on an IBB.

It sounds like the OP went in to the interview as if he was a secret shopper there to give feedback.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Interviews are not a one way street they are an opportunity for both parties to get a clearer idea of the drivers of the other.

I don't think cost control necessarily means worse service or products. I firmly believe it is often possible to control costs AND improve service (by increasing budget on things which really add value and cutting it from things which don't) but this is difficult to pull off. It is far easier just to make simpler cuts.

So I think where the OP went wrong here was failure to probe the balance here rather than just the overall direction.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:27 am

I was wondering when you would make your comment Hiddy. Ever the optimist.

You know I currently work for a company that makes a profit AND takes a great deal of care, effort and time with clients to really understand what they want. Sometimes each project isn't profitable but in the end it balances the books out through loyalty!
You mean you work for a company that has a strategy to make profit in the future as well? How novel
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Interviews are not a one way street they are an opportunity for both parties to get a clearer idea of the drivers of the other.

I don't think cost control necessarily means worse service or products. I firmly believe it is often possible to control costs AND improve service (by increasing budget on things which really add value and cutting it from things which don't) but this is difficult to pull off. It is far easier just to make simpler cuts.

So I think where the OP went wrong here was failure to probe the balance here rather than just the overall direction.
First impressions are important though aren't they? From both parties point of view. From the way the OP worded his post, he certainly suggested there was very little of the desired balance provided by the BA interviewers, which is a shame if that's the case.

I think we would all agree that BA has got to find the right balance, and they may be right that they need to focus more on cost control/reduction and less on maintaining product quality/competitiveness. The problem is from our perspective all we see is the quality champers being replaced...
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by layz
Did they know that you are a regular traveller with BA and so had first hand experience with the product from a customer perspective?

Another tactic would have been tell the what they wanted to hear, get the job and start working on the inside to make a difference.
Absolutely. I wish you had gone in and been in "interview" mode rather than "disappointed" customer mode. Then you could have worked to improve the product from a customer point of view rather than just a cost perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.