Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
avoiding afternoon tea

On a recent trip LHR to FCO in CE, to avoid afternoon tea, I ordered one gluten free meal for me and one Muslim meal for my husband. I was going to order him a Kosher meal but had heard that those might be Kosher sandwiches and figuring by getting two different meals, we might cobble together one edible meal.

The gluten free meal consisted of a cold salad plate with thinly sliced chicken, a small amount of vinegar rice, and pickled ginger. I don't know if it was a play on deconstructed sushi, but with cooked chicken? This came with a fruit salad and a gluten free roll that I skipped.

The Muslim meal was the same cold chicken salad plate, fruit salad, and instead of a gluten free roll, a plain wheat roll.

The taste was sort of meh, but given that I don't eat bread or cakes, a substantial improvement over afternoon tea. I thought the portions, especially the fruit salad, were way too meager. Two paper thin slices of melon plus a single grape. Maybe for a Band 1 which needs to be finished quickly this is okay, but if you had substantial transits or weren't able to have a proper meal earlier on, likely to be hungry
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
MAD-LHR

Roast chicken and bacon salad roll, with a salted caramel bun

Was okay. Personally I'd prefer a larger sandwich in place of the bun.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
LHR-CPH in Y at 9.55am. So according to the wiki it is a band 3 brunch offering . Do I need to order veggie or will there be veggie options without ordering.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Usually no hot food, but also thought no afternoon tea on LCY flights? Can't remember if I've ever flown from LCY in the tea time window, it's definitely no brunch. Last time I did this to/from FLR there were two pretty nice cold dishes for lunch in CE.
It was a peppered mackerel filet on greens with potato salad or chicken and chorizo and roasted vegetable salad. All served with three canapes and a delicious almond cake.

It beat both the afternoon tea on the similarly timed flight down from LHR AND the dinner offering on the northbound flight to LHR.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by sts603
It was a peppered mackerel filet on greens with potato salad or chicken and chorizo and roasted vegetable salad. All served with three canapes and a delicious almond cake.

It beat both the afternoon tea on the similarly timed flight down from LHR AND the dinner offering on the northbound flight to LHR.
Yup, that's pretty much as I remember it.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
JER-LGW enhancement?

Recently flew 2770 and 2777 in Y (LGW-JER) and on the 2770 there was a filled croissant, muesli/yoghurt and orange juice as per the guide at the start of the thread

However on the 2777 coming back, it was only crips or cookies - no main snack which should be served according to the guide.

Is this a recent 'enhancement' or did they just run out!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
In Y that is the snack that is expected on a band one evening flight

as per the guide

UK Domestic
On all short domestic flights the service from 09:30 onwards is the same and that is your choice of Lily O’Brien’s chocolate chip cookies, Kent crisps or Thai Street Food savoury snack, served with your choice of beverage.

Euro Traveller
On Band 1 flights, the offering matches UK domestic

(OK Its not lily Obriens now)
The Thai Street Food is basically a bag of peanuts and dried fruits with some spices and is just a choice along with the crisps and biscuits.
If that was not in the basket then they may have run out on that flight

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jul 29, 2016 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ahh yes - missed the 'or' between the crisps and thai food snack.
Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:37 pm

We are on Band 3 CE Dinner flight from LHR to NCE . What is current dinner? Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
CDG breakfast Euro Traveller service on Saturday offered the alternative of a museli bar AND shorbread biscuits in cellophane.

On the return 'brunch' flight on Wednesday morning, the basket was handed round with great anticipation, but the bags of crisps were very small. (However the lemon cookies were amazing with coffee).

It was my general impression that that tea/coffee paper cups have shrunk.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sandy12
We are on Band 3 CE Dinner flight from LHR to NCE . What is current dinner? Thanks
There isn't 'a' current dinner. For the period they rotate two or possibly three sets of choices. If dinner it will be a hot dish (e.g. One of the current offerings is cod with wasabi mash and grilled vegetables but it isn't the only one) or a salad with a hot element (e.g. Salad with grilled chicken skewers). You'll also get one slice of cheese with chutney and a pot dessert.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:21 pm

Thanks Orbitmic, That is just what I wanted to know.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I was on a LHR Band 2 flight on Saturday, and the sandwich box in Y has been enhanced even more--it was just a small ham and cheese roll, with no sweet bun. On the plus side, it was low in calories.

I'm glad I ate in the terminal. I would have preferred crisps to go with my G&T (but I won't tell BA that because it will play right into their enhancement scheme).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I was on a LHR Band 2 flight on Saturday, and the sandwich box in Y has been enhanced even more--it was just a small ham and cheese roll, with no sweet bun. On the plus side, it was low in calories.

I'm glad I ate in the terminal. I would have preferred crisps to go with my G&T (but I won't tell BA that because it will play right into their enhancement scheme).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Surely the roll/bun duos are only on band 3 flights. Anyway, didn't we hear that these are being enhanced away??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.