Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I must vent my frustration on behalf of us vegetarians - we too want the afternoon tea! However we are subject to salads time and time again. Thre's no reason why BA couldn't give us 3 veggie sandwiches. Only on Club World have I have a proper afternoon tea. very frustrating!
I wish I could declare myself vegetarian only for afternoon tea purposes! Salad instead of the horrid sandwiches sounds like heaven!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I wish I could declare myself vegetarian only for afternoon tea purposes! Salad instead of the horrid sandwiches sounds like heaven!
You can, although you have to do it manually per segment. I suggest low-salt though which usually yields something pleasant like a chicken or salmon salad.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stifle
You can, although you have to do it manually per segment. I suggest low-salt though which usually yields something pleasant like a chicken or salmon salad.
Now I'm really interested! Can you actually order a special meal on a single segment on a multi segment itinerary? I never realise and it sounds very useful to know indeed!! ^
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Now I'm really interested! Can you actually order a special meal on a single segment on a multi segment itinerary? I never realise and it sounds very useful to know indeed!! ^
It is and I use it every time afternoon tea is the offering but don't shout too loudly or the functionality will be enhanced.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes you can. If the urge strikes you you can even order a different type of meal for each segment. I imagine it'll get enhanced soon so that we can be served meals more appropriate to the time of day.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I do it all the time. The seafood meal is usually a salad and in my opinion is much nicer than the afternoon tea sandwiches.

When BA used to offer drinkable champagne in CE I quite liked my custom afternoon tea of salad, scones and champagne.

When I had the seafood breakfast it was part of a larger itinerary where I was connecting to F. I certainly wouldn't want to have a special meal in F as it'd limit my choice but you can allocate it per leg.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Am flying with the kids to MLA in club which is band 4, ex LGW at 16:00 and ex MLA at 14:20 what can we expect food wise, afternoon tea both ways? if so I am tempted to order them childs meals.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Magnus77
Am flying with the kids to MLA in club which is band 4, ex LGW at 16:00 and ex MLA at 14:20 what can we expect food wise, afternoon tea both ways? if so I am tempted to order them childs meals.
Band 4 doesn't get afternoon tea so you will get a proper meal of some sort.

It's bands 1-3 that get the dry nano-sandwiches.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by layz
I do it all the time. The seafood meal is usually a salad and in my opinion is much nicer than the afternoon tea sandwiches.

When BA used to offer drinkable champagne in CE I quite liked my custom afternoon tea of salad, scones and champagne.

When I had the seafood breakfast it was part of a larger itinerary where I was connecting to F. I certainly wouldn't want to have a special meal in F as it'd limit my choice but you can allocate it per leg.
Brilliant, thanks for that! Will certainly consider it for afternoon tea - or indeed, if BA mess up our seat assignments again for "brunch" as they randomly moved us from row 1 to row 7 the other day and of course no choice by then but the ghastly Panini, which I could easily fantasise throwing at WW's face!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
But remember as of 1 October the seafood special meal is no longer going to be offered along with a few other types of special meal. So now we need to find another alternative to that mayonnaise laden carb fest they pass off as afternoon tea.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Seafood meal to Orly earlier..

Flight scheduled to leave at 16:40... didn't leave until closer to half 5.

Afternoon tea was the standard service.. whatever you think about it, I don't think afternoon tea is a meal appropriate to the time of day after 16:00.

Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Particularly as you won't have taken off until after 5pm which is 6pm in France...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Particularly as you won't have taken off until after 5pm which is 6pm in France...
Well exactly. On flights leaving LHR to the continent 3:30 at the latest would be the appropriate cut-off time.

Afternoon tea at 6pm at the destination is completely ridiculous, whatever the view on the merits of afternoon tea as a choice.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I like the afternoon tea, but it should really only be served from 14:00-16:00, not 17:00 as is currently the case.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Dinner in ET on LHR-PRG (B3) in early August: Chargrilled chicken & roasted tomato flatbread.

Brunch in CE on PRG-LHR (B3) in early August: Cold plate option. Sorry about the photo quality (and food, ahem).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.