Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
I do not enjoy the hot croissant served on brunch flights on Band 1/2 brunch flights nor am I enamoured with the continental plate. I'm therefore thinking of ordering a seafood meal, what could I expect on such a brunch flight?
I can now answer my own question. The brunch seafood meal consists of a fairly tasty prawn salad served with an (unnecessary) packaged roll with the addition of the bread/pasty basket it is miles better than the standard "continental" and hot croissant option which is just stodge.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Unhappy

I took the Gatwick Shuttle from GLA yesterday morning (Via Southampton due to weather at LGW), and I have to say I was disappointed with the cooked breakfast, and I’m normally a fan. It used to be similar to the Breakfast on the LHR shuttle, however they have changed it to what is probably a cheaper version which now includes baked beans. Come to think of it, last time I was in the Galleries lounge everything contained Baked Beans, do you think someone has got shares in Heinz?

Now... I can’t stand baked beans, so much so that if the wife eats them she is placed on a kissing ban, and if they are on my plate I won’t touch anything else on the plate (It's the vile sauce that gets me most), I did enquire about the continental breakfast however they don’t have them on the LGW service, they only have standard and vegetarian, and guess what they both contain baked beans. I have encountered this before on the LCY service however the crew gave me a crew breakfast (Bacon roll) which I thought was above and beyond, however no such offer on the LGW service, which is fine why should the crew give up a decent breakfast roll for me.

Why can’t they just have the same standard (NON BEAN) breakfast on all domestic flights? The LHR breakfast would be perfect if they swapped the pitiful slices of pan loaf for the bread roll which still exists on the LGW flight (Thank goodness for the bread roll, at least I didn’t go hungry).

I have another LGW breakfast flight in a few weeks so I went in to request a special meal only to find that this option doesn’t seem to be available on domestic flights, is there a way around this? I suppose I could always change my flight to LHR although that will make my onward travel a bit more complicated.

Am I expecting too much, or am I just weird? I would just like less Beans and more consistency!

Last edited by TRISTAR1979; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:57 am Reason: Spelling Error
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Oh. Wow. Beans are a great addition, in my opinion (I am a bean lover).

But, I agree there should be consistency across the service.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I too love the beans.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
I hate the beans for the same reason as TRISTAR1979, the sauce.

The fact that it would probably have spread around everything
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Discussing afternoon tea service with the cabin crew on my flight yesterday, they said that the little cake in CE afternoon tea is about to be enhanced, with the official reason being "passengers prefer scones". They were as nonplussed about it, and the afternoon tea in general, as I was.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Yes, I think we had that discussion somewhere else (I can't remember where). I can take or leave the little cake thing. It's normally pretty stodgy. I prefer the scones. But if they are removing the cake, they should upgrade the wee sandwiches!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985
I too love the beans.
Lol
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by stifle
Discussing afternoon tea service with the cabin crew on my flight yesterday, they said that the little cake in CE afternoon tea is about to be enhanced, with the official reason being "passengers prefer scones". They were as nonplussed about it, and the afternoon tea in general, as I was.
I wonder where they got the passengers' view from ?

And, seriously, is that the major feedback that BA has received about afternoon tea ?!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I doubt it very much.
It is just another cut back / cost reduction.

We have lost the warm element (mini Cornish pasties etc) and now the cake.

Sooooooo..... What next?!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
Scheduled to depart up to 9.30 to be pedantic, ie a 9.20am flight leaving an hour late due to delays will still serve breakfast.
Due to the weather delays on Monday, I had my breakfast at 1pm instead of 9:10am.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
How can it be called Afternoon Tea if there isn't any cake? I thought that was a required component.

Will they actually increase the size of the scones to compensate this, and make a point of coming round more than once, which isn't always the case in my experience?

I think the afternoon tea is insulting as it is, and the very last thing it needs is another 'enhancement' - although this is, I suppose, another reason to always request a special meal if on an Afternoon Tea service.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
I can now answer my own question. The brunch seafood meal consists of a fairly tasty prawn salad served with an (unnecessary) packaged roll with the addition of the bread/pasty basket it is miles better than the standard "continental" and hot croissant option which is just stodge.
I wish I had done that. On yesterdays 11:30 TLS - LHR they had just one meat plate which was taken by the lady in 1A. The rest of us had to make do with a "fruit plate" which consisted of 5 small slices of fruit and a solitary grape. And of course as much as we wanted from the "stodge basket". The delightful FA was very apologetic and said that she kept feeding back info that they needed to load more meat plates, but it never made any difference.

Made the mistake of combining the fruit with two bottles of monopoo. I am still suffering from acid reflux as a result.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Photograph of dinner BGO-LHR on BA759 27th July.

Pork Belly with Vegetables and Spinach (Or Tandoori Chicken), washed down with plenty of Champagne and Glenlivet - meal was surprisingly delicious, given the disappointment of breakfast on the way to BGO on the 26th, which the purser made up for with limitless champagne

Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GK1981
Photograph of dinner BGO-LHR on BA759 27th July.

Pork Belly with Vegetables and Spinach (Or Tandoori Chicken), washed down with plenty of Champagne and Glenlivet - meal was surprisingly delicious, given the disappointment of breakfast on the way to BGO on the 26th, which the purser made up for with limitless champagne

I hope I'm gonna get it on my flight to prague this evening then

Hopefully it'll make it up for the embarrassing selection at T3 GC. I've gone to No1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.