Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A flight deck with a difference

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

A flight deck with a difference

360 view from Space Shuttle Discovery's flight deck. OT other than I flew BA once to see a launch, but interesting nonetheless:

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discover...deck-opf_6236/
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Lots of buttons, I wouldn't be able to help myself from pressing them!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:00 am
Suspended

Nice, although it's set-up for orbit so missing the 2 seats normally at the back during launch/landing. Very crowded place!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonrp84
Nice, although it's set-up for orbit so missing the 2 seats normally at the back during launch/landing. Very crowded place!
It was taken mid-decommissioning so there's a few bits and pieces missing unfortunately ^
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just back from Florida and at long last (after 12 previous visits to the sunshine state)managed the Kennedy Space Centre tour. Completely blown away by it all, an amazing place to visit, bags of technology and some of the exhibits are incredible. Highly recommended

Great image btw ^
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Blue
Yes it was the highlight of our first trip to Florida last November
Not least because we inadvertently found ourselves in the queue for the simulator ride
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
A Dell laptop, amazing that the things ever got off the ground!

Do any of the shuttles on display provide any sort of inside access to the public?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Blue
The building to house Atlantis was still under construction when we visited.
Having just visited the website the exhibit now looks very impressive.
But there is no inside access.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MNManInKen

Do any of the shuttles on display provide any sort of inside access to the public?
Sort of. There was mockup shuttle on display at KSC that you could go inside, but the interior was nothing like the real thing. Now Atlantis is on display in its place the mockup has been moved to Texas and the interior made accurate.

Other than that there's not really any easy way to get in one without cutting the side open
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by phol
Sort of. There was mockup shuttle on display at KSC that you could go inside, but the interior was nothing like the real thing. Now Atlantis is on display in its place the mockup has been moved to Texas and the interior made accurate.

Other than that there's not really any easy way to get in one without cutting the side open
I seem to remember years ago seeing a mock shuttle cockpit somewhere, can't quite recall where though.

Couldn't the cargo bay be opened, perhaps with one of the removable lab segments in place? I appreciate it's not going to be easy to organise with such delicate and historical equipment...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I seem to remember years ago seeing a mock shuttle cockpit somewhere, can't quite recall where though.

Couldn't the cargo bay be opened, perhaps with one of the removable lab segments in place? I appreciate it's not going to be easy to organise with such delicate and historical equipment...
That bit they have already done:

Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
And apparently it was running Windows Vista
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
And apparently it was running Windows Vista
Just what you need - Windows for Space Shuttles. Must be quite upsetting when it blue screens on you just as you try to avoid some space debris. Not to mention a talking paperclip popping up "I see you are trying to land. Would you like some help with that?".
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonrp84
Theres actually another one on there with everything still in place, and views of everything from the middle deck to the launch pad:

http://360vr.com/2012/02/16/discovery-flight-deck_2193/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.