Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New aircraft 'training' flights : B787 to Stockholm and A380 to Frankfurt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The below calendar shows the historical information collected for the dates the new BA A380's flew on the short haul route between LHR and FRA. To see the dates the A380 and 787 flew in August 2013 and for further information, history, and other bits, please do read this post (or sit back with a good drink and read the whole thread!)

The quick and dirty guide:

A380 flew each day in Aug. except Wed. afternoons and did not fly at all on Saturdays. The A380 schedule was quite certain until the 23rd Sept. after which the timings proved to be very uncertain, however, there were some dates with the A380 between the 24th Sept. up until the 18th Oct. so many were lucky and did get the chance to fly these great new birds.

The 787's flew each day in Aug. from the 9th up to the 31st. From the 1st Sept. the flights to ARN (BA 780/781) returned to 767's . The training flights for the 787's are over.

Historical Calendar for those interested

A380 Timings Sept Oct Final by BA_pics, on Flickr

Please do update this wiki or thread with new/correct information if you should have any, especially for the dates with '?' showing as I could not find any info on those dates. Thanks, we hope you found this info useful and managed to get on one of the flights.

A380-787-training-flights-meetup-do-thread might be of interest to find out who indeed did fly and when!

Final update: 20/10/2013 @ 13:00 BST. Reason: Final Update (barring filling gaps)
Print Wikipost

New aircraft 'training' flights : B787 to Stockholm and A380 to Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
How likely is it that BA will operate the 380 as a single decker?
i.e only the top deck or only the lower deck with the other deck closed?
Can the A380 operate with passengers only on the top deck?
The whole point of these flights is crew familiarisation, so I would assume they will use both decks.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:58 pm

No, the whole point is to build flightdeck crew landings. The product onboard will be a SH product, they will only sell the normal config of the previous aircraft (so will only part fill the plane) and will, I believe, put CE in the WTP seats, not the CW seats. That's what I have heard anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
If they put CE passengers in the WTP seats that seems a strange call.

55 W seats on the upper deck, with a further 104 Y seats up there does not a 767 make.

18,000 avios +£50 for a r/t to FRA? and end up in W? Mmmmm.

Last edited by Skipcool3; Jul 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well never mind FT'ers, what about Herr und Frau LondonWeekender? They book a weekend in London, book club as a treat, find themselves in a big aircraft (which provides no kick for 99% of the population), but slumming it in Premium Economy.

I'm on one of the highlighted services, it would be strange way to lose my WTP virginity, but I wouldn't mind! Air France, when they trialed their A380s (and my goodness, a long time ago!) put us in the appropriate cabins, or upgraded us if with FlyingBlue status.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Has everyone suddenly forgotten the difference between SH and LH?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well never mind FT'ers, what about Herr und Frau LondonWeekender? They book a weekend in London, book club as a treat, find themselves in a big aircraft (which provides no kick for 99% of the population), but slumming it in Premium Economy.
You're not really suggesting CE (which is what they would have booked) is anywhere near CW, are you?

If anything WT+ is closer to the CE experience than CW is. Indeed, if they end up in CW and this is their first time, they're in for a shock next time they book CE...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
You're not really suggesting CE (which is what they would have booked) is anywhere near CW, are you?

If anything WT+ is closer to the CE experience than CW is. Indeed, if they end up in CW and this is their first time, they're in for a shock next time they book CE...
I obviously agree with you on that last point. But to the irregular traveller it may actually seem to them that they are sitting Premium Economy (with an empty Club section in front of them) and they would also be correct in coming to that conclusion.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I obviously agree with you on that last point. But to the irregular traveller it may actually seem to them that they are sitting Premium Economy (with an empty Club section in front of them) and they would also be correct in coming to that conclusion.
Not sure they would see the CW cabin to begin with, but I would be surprised if even an irregular traveller would be confusing CW with a shorthaul business cabin... I's nothing like the CE product as described either when they booked, so I genuinely don't think that would be an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope they put CE in CW , but I would understand it if that might not be the case, it would be fair enough really.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
CE pax will be seated in CW seats for sure - on both the A380 and 787.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Genius1
CE pax will be seated in CW seats for sure - on both the A380 and 787.
Apparently one of the reasons FRA was chosen for the A380 rotation was that it's a route with one of the highest number of gold card holders. It would be a very odd commercial decision not to showcase the new CW cabin when you have a captive audience of many of your best customers ....
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:45 pm

Booked my trip to (hopefully) take advantage of both the 787 and the A380 over bank holiday weekend. LHR-ARN on the fore mentioned BA780 and back FRA-LHR on the BA911 a day later. Flights in between ARN-FRA using Air Berlin ARN-TXL-FRA for a whopping 9000 avios plus £22.60 in cash plus another £60 for the Rad Blu at Arlanda.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:10 pm

Looks like the 787 will operate to YYZ on 1/9 as BA93 but I don't see any listing on that day for EWR..
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Compton3fox
Looks like the 787 will operate to YYZ on 1/9 as BA93 but I don't see any listing on that day for EWR..
EWR starts a month later on 1/10th as BA187 apparently. More info on which days and flights here:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ion/boeing-787

(near the bottom, where it says Flight Information for our Boeing 787: London - Newark

HTH
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
As BA seem to consider going from CW to CE on the DME route is not a downgrade for EU compensation purposes as they're both 'business class' I would urge anyone with a CE ticket to apply for EU downgrade compensation if sat in the WTP cabin.

They can't have it both ways!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by layz
As BA seem to consider going from CW to CE on the DME route is not a downgrade for EU compensation purposes as they're both 'business class' I would urge anyone with a CE ticket to apply for EU downgrade compensation if sat in the WTP cabin.

They can't have it both ways!
The compensation obsession on this board is becoming extremely tiresome.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:53 pm

When trying to book an A380 flight with Avios on for example the 902 and straight back on the 903 I get a message saying that the connection time must be more that 120 minutes between flights.

As 902/903 should be the same aircraft I guess this should not really be a problem? But then I am unfamiliar with FRA T2. Will you have to go out and back through passport control or flight transfers? Or will you just walk off the plane and be able to join the queue at the same gate for your return flight?

If it is not a problem I guess one can book two singles, or is there another way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.