Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New aircraft 'training' flights : B787 to Stockholm and A380 to Frankfurt

Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The below calendar shows the historical information collected for the dates the new BA A380's flew on the short haul route between LHR and FRA. To see the dates the A380 and 787 flew in August 2013 and for further information, history, and other bits, please do read this post (or sit back with a good drink and read the whole thread!)

The quick and dirty guide:

A380 flew each day in Aug. except Wed. afternoons and did not fly at all on Saturdays. The A380 schedule was quite certain until the 23rd Sept. after which the timings proved to be very uncertain, however, there were some dates with the A380 between the 24th Sept. up until the 18th Oct. so many were lucky and did get the chance to fly these great new birds.

The 787's flew each day in Aug. from the 9th up to the 31st. From the 1st Sept. the flights to ARN (BA 780/781) returned to 767's . The training flights for the 787's are over.

Historical Calendar for those interested

A380 Timings Sept Oct Final by BA_pics, on Flickr

Please do update this wiki or thread with new/correct information if you should have any, especially for the dates with '?' showing as I could not find any info on those dates. Thanks, we hope you found this info useful and managed to get on one of the flights.

A380-787-training-flights-meetup-do-thread might be of interest to find out who indeed did fly and when!

Final update: 20/10/2013 @ 13:00 BST. Reason: Final Update (barring filling gaps)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:35 am
Original Poster

The countdown is well and truly underway as the airline looks forward to welcoming the first of its new aircraft later this month.

In a message to all colleagues, chief executive Keith Williams confirmed the first two 787s would be arriving on June 26 and 27, followed by the first A380 a week later on July 4.

Keith said: The arrivals mark a historic moment for our airline our first new aircraft types in 17 years and a spectacular demonstration of our 5bn customer investment programme.

He also thanked colleagues for their hard work and stressed how planning for this moment started over six years ago.

He added: Planning started over six years ago but over the past six months weve moved into full throttle. Teams from across the airline have come together to ensure our people are trained and prepared.

The airline is planning to hold a double celebration on July 4 with a live broadcast to colleagues of the A380 arriving in front of 380 staff, some VIP customers and the media. It will then pull up alongside the 787 as the airline officially welcomes both aircraft to its fleet.

Following their arrival, both aircraft will be used for training before they go into service. This will include pilot and cabin crew training at Manston Airport in Kent, customer service trials at Heathrow and a period of short-haul flying - Stockholm for the 787 and Frankfurt for the A380. Flights within the UK will also take place during this period and further details will be announced nearer the time.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
B787 to Stockholm and A380 to Frankfurt

Anyone know the dates for those flights?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by chris1979
Anyone know the dates for those flights?
No.

First word may well be when they appear on ba.com.

As you are BA Gold, nothing to stop you booking an Avios J seat on every FRA flight for a couple of days in late Summer, on the basis that it would be converted into an A380 J seat!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I recall when Qantas got delivery of their first A380 they organized a nice show in Toulouse and then in Sydney to name the aircraft after Nancy Bird Walton. Videos are available on YouTube I think
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |
Stockholm, woho! ^
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
I heard they were doing a UK tour with the A380, which will be the only time the regions will see a BA plane
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Raffles

nothing to stop you booking an Avios J seat on every FRA flight for a couple of days in late Summer
ex-LHR only; ex-LCY unlikely.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver VA Red SAS Gold
Does anyone know why on the BA A380 Youtube video at 00.25 time there is quick flash of a chef who looks like is slicing some bread or preparing some food ?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Looking forward to the B787 ex-ARN. I'll try to make a group booking and make a DO out of it, BA usually have excellent Business Class pricing on this route if you book way ahead.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:22 pm

Oh Yes Bjrnstrm!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:26 pm

A handy opportunity to visit the ABBA Museum and the 1628 warship at the Vasa Museum.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:41 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Let me urgently reconsider my travel plans to include Stockholm and Frankfurt...potentially in one trip...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Come on BA, give me an A380 on LHR-NCE too! Will make for some very beautiful photos on your PR communication material!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:47 pm

....and the superb Sinsheim Aviation Museum, which is a short drive from FRA.

How would one get from ARN to FRA?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Originally Posted by oscietra
How would one get from ARN to FRA?
Via LHR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.