Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking rewards on JAL domestic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Booking rewards on JAL domestic

Trying to book JAL domestic, find the flights, click continue, then get this message (no matter what dates I pick):

ERROR: Sorry, we cannot currently book the journey you have chosen. You may wish to reselect a different cabin, try again later, or call your service center.
This is for NRT > CTS return.

Obviously I guess I should call the call center when it is open, but is there any reason why this might happen? Should the call center be able to book these for me?

I remember people saying that you cannot book more than a few months in advance, does anyone know if that is the case? It definitely shows availability for as far away as March.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Not sure if this is useful or not, but I've booked ICN to NRT on JAL using Avios rewards. The flight is in January 2013 and I booked a few weeks ago, I didn't have any issues.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Interesting, and you booked that online? Do you mean you booked on avios.com?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

On ba.com it seems to work fine for international flights, but all the domestic flights give me the same error.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by DG55
On ba.com it seems to work fine for international flights, but all the domestic flights give me the same error.
Sorry I typically provided half the required information!

I booked from BA.com, but I guess my flight was internation as I'm going from South Korea to Japan.

Very strange that you're getting that error.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Trying to book JAL domestic, find the flights, click continue, then get this message (no matter what dates I pick):

This is for NRT > CTS return.

Obviously I guess I should call the call center when it is open, but is there any reason why this might happen? Should the call center be able to book these for me?

I remember people saying that you cannot book more than a few months in advance, does anyone know if that is the case? It definitely shows availability for as far away as March.
What dates are you trying to book. From ba.com:
Redemptions on Japanese domestic flights may only be booked two months from the date of return flight and only in the economy cabin. This restriction does not apply to domestic flights booked in conjunction with international flights.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...able-book.html
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:17 am
Original Poster

I was looking at flights in March, which would explain it. However I also tested some dates in September (e.g. within 2 months) and I got the same error.

Two months isn't very much notice in order to organise a trip. I will be booking these to connect with a BA international flight, but I am hoping to book an economy return LHR > NRT with cash, then get a domestic reward flight on JAL to get to CTS.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or do they actually mean that I can only book more than 2 months in advance IF I book the entire trip LHR > NRT > CTS as a reward flight?

If so, how annoying!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking at flights in March, which would explain it. However I also tested some dates in September (e.g. within 2 months) and I got the same error.

Two months isn't very much notice in order to organise a trip. I will be booking these to connect with a BA international flight, but I am hoping to book an economy return LHR > NRT with cash, then get a domestic reward flight on JAL to get to CTS.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or do they actually mean that I can only book more than 2 months in advance IF I book the entire trip LHR > NRT > CTS as a reward flight?

If so, how annoying!
Yes. If you are booking the domestic in connection with a long-haul then the 2 month restriction does not apply. Otherwise the two month restriction applies.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: FT

If so, how annoying!
why so annoying? read the BAEC site, it's pretty clear about domestic flights on JAL only being bookable 2 months out...unless you book as part of an international itin...how can something be annoying if its within the rules they have told you about

"Redemptions on Japanese domestic flights may only be booked two months from the date of return flight and only in the economy cabin. This restriction does not apply to domestic flights booked in conjunction with international flights."

therefore, fly on JAL LHR-NRT-CTS, book now...fly on BA to NRT, book two months before. thems are the rules. [this might be incorrect but i recall the international flight also has to be on JAL but have not had to test.]

that said you will be happy to know that during March, i highly doubt you will have a problem finding space on this flight.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

No, the 'restriction' is annoying, not whether they have told me about it or not.

I don't really understand how I would get a JAL international and a BA-JAL domestic reward on the same booking, BA don't sell the JAL international flights for starters.

Ultimately I want the BA international sector, and I want to book before 2 months in advance. However from what you have said this is not possible.

I'll give them a call to double check what is possible.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Yes. If you are booking the domestic in connection with a long-haul then the 2 month restriction does not apply. Otherwise the two month restriction applies.
But the question is, does the long-haul sector need to be with JAL too, or can it be with BA?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the question is, does the long-haul sector need to be with JAL too, or can it be with BA?
Why not call and ask?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:35 am
Original Poster

I will do when I get the chance. However I find that you guys here are far more consistent and informative than the BA call centre, who tend to give me different answers depending on the time of day!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: FT
I will do when I get the chance. However I find that you guys here are far more consistent and informative than the BA call centre, who tend to give me different answers depending on the time of day!
I was worried also about the 2 months but to be honest, unless you are flying to say OKA or other islands during golden week, I have found that space is very good.

Note also, that you can fly HND to CTS also and NRT to CTS. Their are 9 flights a day from HND to CTS and they usually have 4 seats open per flight. in fact, i could book a flight for Sunday if I wanted right now...

why not fly into NRT and then spend a night in Tokyo and fly out of HND or take the latest flight out of HND...

my gut says that if you book LHR-NRT-CTS with BA and JAL they will ding you with a two partner award but you will be able to book in advance vesus all on JAL...i know JAL space does not open up until much later than say BA or CX...

as to calling, i find that when it comes to partner information, BAEC at least in NA is utterly useless. until I have something booked in hand, only then do I know what it might cost...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
In the worst case it will only cost you just over £80 (just over Yen 10,000) one-way for cash booking anyway, using Yokoso fare. Not worth stressing over...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.