Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Japan domestic awards not available to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Does anyone know why it isn't possible to book Japan domestic awards after March 31st? When searching after this date it shows the award seats available but when I click to continue it gives an error message saying it can't be booked.

Last edited by pogonation; Dec 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think JAL domestic flights only become bookable 2 months before. I vaguely recall reading about this a couple of days ago. I'll check where I saw it and get back to you.

Now I know where it came from:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb

Redemptions on Japanese domestic flights may only be booked two months from the date of return flight and only in the economy cabin. This restriction does not apply to domestic flights booked in conjunction with international flights.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think JAL domestic flights only become bookable 2 months before. I vaguely recall reading about this a couple of days ago. I'll check where I saw it and get back to you.
correct and i have posted many times about whether people knew whether this was new or not with the avios change...still unclear.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:36 am
Original Poster

This can't explain it as all flights up until the 31st March (4 months away) are bookable
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I wouldn't waste your miles doing this.

If you're on an international OneWorld flight look at the Japan! Yokoso! offering as those can be good value. Internal flights in Japan can be very good value anyway - a single from Osaka to Tokyo Haneda in business cost me about £80 in October.

*A have a similar scheme with ANA I think.

Alternatively, get yourself a JR Pass and use the Shinkansen instead. A return between Tokyo <> Kyoto on the Shinkansen will more or less pay for the JR Pass...

BAH
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BAHumbug

If you're on an international OneWorld flight look at the Japan! Yokoso! offering as those can be good value. Internal flights in Japan can be very good value anyway - a single from Osaka to Tokyo Haneda in business cost me about £80 in October.

Alternatively, get yourself a JR Pass and use the Shinkansen instead. A return between Tokyo <> Kyoto on the Shinkansen will more or less pay for the JR Pass...

BAH
10000yen per sector with Yokoso versus as low as 4500 miles per sector...KIX-NAH - 9000 return and almost no taxes...seems like good value to me. [and long rides on the Shinkansen get rather tiring...say FUK to HND...how many hours on the Shinkansen]
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

BAH
Thanks for the information about the Yokoso offer.. Now I have to decide whether to spend £90 or 4500 miles in Y. As for the JR pass, it is a great scheme and I have taken advantage of it before however all I need this trip is a one-way ticket to Sapporo and the train is more expensive and takes a lot longer.

I still think 2p a mile is a relatively good spend. Hmmmm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
This can't explain it as all flights up until the 31st March (4 months away) are bookable
31 March isn't even bookable on JAL website (in money) until the end of January, so I'm a bit surprised that BA website lets you book that already, unless it is combined with an international flight or something a bit more "unusual".

Yokoso! offering as those can be good value. Internal flights in Japan can be very good value anyway - a single from Osaka to Tokyo Haneda in business cost me about £80 in October.

Yokoso can only booked in economy class, although upgrade-for-money-on-the-day options are available, subject to seat availability. You need to call JAL office to arrange this fare and it's a bit of a pain though as you need to fax (or email, maybe) through a few documents.

*A does indeed have a similar scheme. You need to call ANA office, which can also be a bit of a pain too due to similar booking requirements.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:13 pm

31 March isn't even bookable on JAL website (in money) until the end of January, so I'm a bit surprised that BA website lets you book that already.

Yokoso can only booked in economy class, although upgrade-for-money-on-the-day options are available, subject to seat availability. You need to call JAL office to arrange this fare and it's a bit of a pain though as you need to fax (or email, maybe) through a few documents.

*A does indeed have a similar scheme. You need to call ANA office, which can also be a bit of a pain too due to similar booking requirements.
OP can see space but not book. you can see space many months out...why not give it a try and see what OP is talking about...
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
Thanks for the information about the Yokoso offer.. Now I have to decide whether to spend £90 or 4500 miles in Y. As for the JR pass, it is a great scheme and I have taken advantage of it before however all I need this trip is a one-way ticket to Sapporo and the train is more expensive and takes a lot longer.

I still think 2p a mile is a relatively good spend. Hmmmm
and the shinkansen does not go all the way.

i am with you...depending on the route, i think it is good use of miles. go NRT-CTS-NGO and 9000 is a pretty good deal not to mention a huge time savings.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:19 pm

Now I know where it came from:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb
sure...but is it new?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
OP can see space but not book. you can see space many months out...why not give it a try and see what OP is talking about...
I understood that, but he stated that he could book up to 31 March. In fact it's not possible to book a revenue ticket for 31 March on JAL.co.jp yet. Seats are only released for sale up to 24 March by JAL, if I am to believe the JAL website. It says domestic flights for 25 March onwards will be released for sale at the end of January.

I have already given it a try on JAL (revenue) and BA (miles) and 31 March (or 25 March) definitely does not work. You can see availability on BA.com but cannot book, and JAL returns an error.

sure...but is it new?
I don't think it is new. I am not sure if it was 2 months exactly, but I am quite sure it has been the case for some time (except for the domestic leg of an international flight, if I remember correctly) as JAL does not release their domestic flights for booking until around 2 months prior to the date of travel (although this is not definite - they move it around a little).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
sure...but is it new?
No . The two month advance has been around for a number of years and been mentioned on here a few times. Here is one thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-2-months.html
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:04 pm

I understood that, but he stated that he could book up to 31 March. In fact it's not possible to book a revenue ticket for 31 March on JAL.co.jp yet. Seats are only released for sale up to 24 March by JAL, if I am to believe the JAL website. It says domestic flights for 25 March onwards will be released for sale at the end of January.

I have already given it a try on JAL (revenue) and BA (miles) and 31 March (or 25 March) definitely does not work. You can see availability on BA.com but cannot book, and JAL returns an error.

I don't think it is new. I am not sure if it was 2 months exactly, but I am quite sure it has been the case for some time (except for the domestic leg of an international flight, if I remember correctly) as JAL does not release their domestic flights for booking until around 2 months prior to the date of travel (although this is not definite - they move it around a little).
original post says available but can not book...not sure what you are reading.

thanks about whether this was new or not.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Don't know why it doesn't work for you but I can 100% book (or at least take the booking all the way to the payment page) HND-CTS on 31st March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.