Wiki Posts
Search

Pyjama etiquette

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Pyjama etiquette

First F later today, a 9pm departure. My main worry is re the pyjamas. Should I change right away and eat dinner in PJs or change after dinner? And do people generally change at seat or in the loo?

Please help - I am determined to get this right, especially as there may be celebrities I've never heard of on board.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by dubbin
First F later today, a 9pm departure. My main worry is re the pyjamas. Should I change right away and eat dinner in PJs or change after dinner? And do people generally change at seat or in the loo?

Please help - I am determined to get this right, especially as there may be celebrities I've never heard of on board.
Quite a few fellow F passengers change right away, but they went to sleep right away too.

I personally prefer to do it before dinner in case I spill food on my clothes. However, I wait until after take-off in case of an emergency or a return to the gate for whatever reasons.

I use the bog as many do. If you're changing in the bog while still on the ground, remember to close the window blind!

Above all, there is nothing to worry about, just relax and enjoy.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold
+1 for changing prior to departure (in the bog)
Old May 6, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I don't think I've ever seen anyone change in the cabin.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
I think the answer from a previous post was to change at your seat if you've got the body for it.

Change when you like - its First! Just don't catch the pjs on your tiara - they'll ladder horribly.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by yojimbo
I don't think I've ever seen anyone change in the cabin.
I have, and it was not a pretty sight. Reminds me of one of PUCCI GALORE's horror stories.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Change right after boarding but put shoes back on for take-off in case you need to evacuate.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:31 am

Some pointers here:

Pyjama etiquette?

F sleeper suits - do you use them?

More here:

First Class - Pyjamas [Can I take them home with me?]

Wearing a First sleeper suit landside

And a little bit here:

CW Pajama Etiquette

Palmer
Old May 6, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
there is no etiquette. F passengers are not sheep - do whatever you feel like.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irmster
there is no etiquette. F passengers are not sheep - do whatever you feel like.
Thanks for that information. I wasn't aware that etiquette was for sheep. Now I regret all that effort I put into my education when I could have more easily behaved like a boor. Next time I fly first, I'll just wear some tattered shorts and old t-shirt. That way my fellow passengers will be assured that I am not a sheep!
Old May 6, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Old May 6, 2012, 11:04 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
In the cabin - yuck

I posted some years ago about a UK Lord something or another (a Premier) who changed right in the middle of the F cabin. It was hugely embarrassing for all concerned, except the senile old git himself. I would strongly recommend the bog as mentioned.

There is something to be said for waiting until the wheels are up, as the likelihood of needing to make a rapid elegant exit diminishes after that point. It is also worth keeping shoes on until that moment as well.

Found it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...riate-not.html

Last edited by squeeler; May 6, 2012 at 11:08 am Reason: found the old thread
Old May 6, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I change in the washroom after dinner usually, and change back before breakfast.

I don't eat dinner or breakfast in my PJs at home, so I certainly don't on an aircraft!

Also, it wouldn't be a good look (or good feeling on the buttocks) to be in PJs sliding down an evacuation slide
Old May 6, 2012, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only F day flight I've been on I didn't bother changing into them. Otherwise after dinner and before breakfast for me.
On my last two long haul flights in F the airlines involved didn't hand out any pyjamas.....stingy so and so's.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Sizing?

I think cabin changing option would only be done if you (or you and partner) are the only pax in F - and even then still may feel odd?

Or if you are a young child...which brings up my question...are the F PJ's 3 sizes fit all (S-M-L) and to what extent is the S actually S (will it swamp children and/or teens?). If they are unisex PJ's (don't know) - then is the S usually plenty for most of the fairer gender pax?

G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.