Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
I went thru T5 last thursday and i thought the border officer has a different type of uniform. I asked him about the non-functioning iris and his next two comments were pertinent: " i dont normally work here" (Might explain the uniform) and " iris has been down for weeks and i dont expect they will turn it on again"
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
I went thru T5 last thursday and i thought the border officer has a different type of uniform. I asked him about the non-functioning iris and his next two comments were pertinent: " i dont normally work here" (Might explain the uniform) and " iris has been down for weeks and i dont expect they will turn it on again"
Wasn't there an A4 piece of paper with something along the lines of 'due to a technical error' printed on it, hung at the entrance, or did I imagine it?

Palmer
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Palmer
Wasn't there an A4 piece of paper with something along the lines of 'due to a technical error' printed on it, hung at the entrance, or did I imagine it?

Palmer
This evening there was an A4 piece of paper with something along the lines of a door (?) problem and that the maintenance having been called.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
This evening there was an A4 piece of paper with something along the lines of a door (?) problem and that the maintenance having been called.
I think that was there last Friday too...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I went through around lunchtime on the 31st and it was tensabarrier'd off. When I got to the desk, the guy checking passports said it was gone for good.

On another note, have they changed rank insignia? The guy checking my passport had two stars, instead of the normal one, two, or three bars that I'm normally used to. Anyone know what it means?
When I went through on the 30th (evening) they said an engineer had been looking at it, but not fixed it yet. They also said that they are due to run until the end of the year.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The paper was there that afternoon When I asked a staff they just said No not working. I guess they will never fix it.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:15 am

If this new Silverwing thing is to be installed this month and announced soon, er..where will it be announced?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:42 pm

One of the two T5 IRIS was working tonight.

Came through at about 9:30 and arrivals hall was in utter chaos. People coming up the escalators from the satellite trains were being diverted away down the corridor as the hall was already full. No idea what was going on.

I got a bit lucky, as I was right at the front of a section being held back before being allowed to even enter the hall. I just asked the guy if IRIS was working and he nodded and let me though, telling me to make my way through the crowd to the IRIS lane. There were about 20 people ahead of me and only one machine working. Just as I joined the queue they opened up a human operated lane and whisked us all through. I probably got through a good hour quicker than the people I started queuing with.

I will really miss IRIS as/when it goes. The egates are just not as effective at all.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
One of the two T3 IRIS was working yesterday, which was a surprise. I thought they may be gone for good (or for bad, I should say).
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
One of the two T5 IRIS was working yesterday lunchtime.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Msclelovr
One of the two T5 IRIS was working yesterday lunchtime.
And I was told by a entry official last week that they were closed for good
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL&GfL, Finnair Plat, Vistara Plat, Hilton LT Dia, Accor Dia, Marriott Amb, Amex Centurion
Was pleasantly surprised yesterday (Saturday) morning as both LHR T3 IRIS machines were working.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stoneman
And I was told by a entry official last week that they were closed for good
I was told the same thing about the T4 ones only for someone on FT to confirm a couple of weeks later that they were working again.
Clearly, what UKBA frontline agents say on this has to be taken with a bucketful of salt.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NickB
Clearly, what UKBA frontline agents say on this has to be taken with a bucketful of salt.
It is very consistent with UK government policy and regular U-turns
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
One of the two T5 IRIS was working tonight.

Came through at about 9:30 and arrivals hall was in utter chaos. People coming up the escalators from the satellite trains were being diverted away down the corridor as the hall was already full. No idea what was going on.

I got a bit lucky, as I was right at the front of a section being held back before being allowed to even enter the hall. I just asked the guy if IRIS was working and he nodded and let me though, telling me to make my way through the crowd to the IRIS lane. There were about 20 people ahead of me and only one machine working. Just as I joined the queue they opened up a human operated lane and whisked us all through. I probably got through a good hour quicker than the people I started queuing with.

I will really miss IRIS as/when it goes. The egates are just not as effective at all.
Similar thing happened to me last week, but when they let us out the holding area I managed to get to the ePassporte machines. Was really frustrating that they were holding us there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.