Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I understand the UKBA is ultimately responsible. But the public service and politicians seem to have this idea wedged in their heads that IRIS is expensive, slow, and causes queues. The only people for whom IRIS is slow is unregistered dolts.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by stifle
I understand the UKBA is ultimately responsible. But the public service and politicians seem to have this idea wedged in their heads that IRIS is expensive, slow, and causes queues. The only people for whom IRIS is slow is unregistered dolts.
Nicely put...perhaps these decision makers need more time in the immigration queues...?!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:38 am

IRIS @ T5...

Hi all,

This is my very first post on here. I have just joined...

I fly very often between LAX - LHR(T5) and have always found the Iris closed :-(

This is very frustrating as I don't hold an EU passport but am registered with the Iris and I used to use it ALL the time...

Please update when the last time you heard anything factual re T5's Iris machines (staying or going/when/etc..)

Whenever I enter T5 I hear a different answer from border officials!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BALAXTOTFIVE
Hi all,

This is my very first post on here. I have just joined...
Welcome to FT!

As you can read, everybody is getting different answers from UKBA officers - we can only wait for an official notice.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
.... I'd happily pay £1,000 per year to avoid queuing.
Please dont tell them that! It will only encourage them.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:03 pm

This is a daft question I know - but am putting it out there.

When I first registered for IRIS, they subscribed me for 1 or 2 years (can't recall). Didn't renew.

Does IRIS definitely stop working when the registration expires? I have a foreign passport and haven't used it for entry for about 3 years - so I assume the answer is yes. But has anyone experienced otherwise?

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Nov 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by antichef
Please dont tell them that! It will only encourage them.
I want to encourage them to install something. It's better than nothing. I'd in fact be prepared to pay more for a reliable system that is always open and available. May even be prepared to part with £5,000 per year if the queues are too long! I don't have 30-60 min to waste every trip, and the fast track isn't open after 1pm.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:27 am
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
This is a daft question I know - but am putting it out there.

When I first registered for IRIS, they subscribed me for 1 or 2 years (can't recall). Didn't renew.

Does IRIS definitely stop working when the registration expires? I have a foreign passport and haven't used it for entry for about 3 years - so I assume the answer is yes. But has anyone experienced otherwise?
Everyone should expire in 2 years or less, but EU passport holders are auto-renewed for 2 years when they use it. Allegedly.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
Everyone should expire in 2 years or less, but EU passport holders are auto-renewed for 2 years when they use it. Allegedly.
Or if one is/was a visa national, then it would be valid until the expiry of a visa/residence permit.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Or if one is/was a visa national, then it would be valid until the expiry of a visa/residence permit.
I am a US Passport holder with a UK visa. According to my registration paperwork, my IRIS is good for 4 years (May 2010-2014), which is just a few months short of my visa expiration.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:09 am

It's totally stupid to get rid of it. I'm sure start up costs were high, but maintenance can't be that bad surely - and it provides a lot of relief to the main queues.

Not to mention being technology-forward (even though it's a few years old) - if they're intent on cutting UKBA staff, at least systems like IRIS can effectively replace them in some respects.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by cazoz
It's totally stupid to get rid of it. I'm sure start up costs were high, but maintenance can't be that bad surely - and it provides a lot of relief to the main queues.

Not to mention being technology-forward (even though it's a few years old) - if they're intent on cutting UKBA staff, at least systems like IRIS can effectively replace them in some respects.
I believe the thinking is that they can't/won't provide parallel technologies. Iris, bless her, while completly wonderful for her adherents and devotees, doesn't offer the wider access to our European brothers and sisters carrying chip-equipped passports.

Who knows - once fingers are pulled out, and the chip-gates multiply and are up to speed, we won't give poor Iris a second glance. But on the other hand .....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I believe the thinking is that they can't/won't provide parallel technologies. Iris, bless her, while completly wonderful for her adherents and devotees, doesn't offer the wider access to our European brothers and sisters carrying chip-equipped passports.

Who knows - once fingers are pulled out, and the chip-gates multiply and are up to speed, we won't give poor Iris a second glance. But on the other hand .....
But it's fun! And smug! And CIA-esque...

I could see a subscription thing working. It being free all this time was probably a little unrealistic anyway. But I suppose it's all testing/R&D.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please move back a little.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
No IRIS or the passport scanning machines working/open when I returned from HKG a few days ago at T5, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.