Wiki Posts
Search

Some gems from the BOAC service guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Some gems from the BOAC service guide

On flciking through the BOAC service guide today I found the following quite amusing:

Gratuities - BOAC staff are not permitted to accept gratuities. They are always glad to be of service.

Correspondance - On scheduled services First Class passengers may hand correspondance to the cabin staff who will post it free of charge.

Hassocks - available on request. I can just see PUCCI slipping one under my feet

Comics - available for children.

Health Hints - Passengers who have taken drugs are reminded of the dangers of taking such drugs with even moderate amounts of alcohol.

Ah the joys of when travel was truly special.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for posting ^
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
Love it... Kiss Me Goodnight Sergeant Major
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:32 pm

Flying F in 2002, you could ask crew for Smythson writing paper with FIRST embossed on the envelope.

It's nice to write a proper letter, and there are few better places than 35,000 feet to dash one off.

Very smart.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
nedved20

That advert, from times gone by, still makes me chuckle!

For those who haven't seen it, click on Kiss me goodnight Sergeant-Major, courtesy of YouTube.

Best Regards

Bellerophon
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

When was the last time, anyone on this forum wrote a proper letter by hand and posted it?

(aside for Hiddy and his quill.)

Last edited by KenJohn; Oct 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oscietra
there are few better places than 35,000 feet to dash one off.
*giggle*
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Gratuities - BOAC staff are not permitted to accept gratuities. They are always glad to be of service.
^

I like this attitude. I am not a fan of tipping in the UK because I do not want it to become like the US when tips are expected and considered an essential part of the chap's package.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

When was the last time, anyone on this forum wrote a proper letter by hand and posted it?

I write about 10 a month.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I still think it's one of the best airline slogans "BOAC takes good care of you."
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I still think it's one of the best airline slogans "BOAC takes good care of you."
I think it originally went, 'All around the World, BOAC takes good care of you'

Charming
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:44 am

I am reminded of travelling to the US as a very young boy with my father, on a BOAC VC10.

steward to Dad ;" can I hang your jacket Sir?" (in economy!)

Dad to steward, joking; " thank you, its about to lose a button"

steward to Dad, not joking; "Ill have one of the girls look at it Sir"

Jacket returned at end of flight with button resewn!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GLOBETOTTER
I am reminded of travelling to the US as a very young boy with my father, on a BOAC VC10.

steward to Dad ;" can I hang your jacket Sir?" (in economy!)

Dad to steward, joking; " thank you, its about to lose a button"

steward to Dad, not joking; "Ill have one of the girls look at it Sir"

Jacket returned at end of flight with button resewn!
We used to do the same at BCAL - and I take great exception to the inplication that none of us are capable of personal correspndence any more. Our passengers do still sometimes give us letter to post that they have forgotten - but I always have to say sorry - cannot do on security grounds.
I use a pen in my personal correspondence - one that uses ink. I do not take it abroad as it would leak. When I see people's handwriting now I realise that beyond basic letters such skills are regarded as superfluous although I regard good handwriting as an accomplishment. However - do they teach keyboard skills in the Schools in the UK? For that matter people used to board wearing suits or jackets as opposed to being attired as though they were off to the laundrette.

The BOAC guide comes from a day when most people could not afford to fly and the only people in First Class were those who had paid for it. BOAC never made money and still had the Liner Mentality - we were stewards and stewardesses back in those days. VC10 Boy I would of course be happy to wait on you foot and mouth.

To Fly To Serve. (I've hearrd that before somewhere!)
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Hassocks - available on request. I can just see PUCCI slipping one under my feet

I had to Google Hassocks
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by KenJohn

Yesterday- but I agree that 99% of letters I send or receive are word processed or dictated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.