Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - goodbye Visa Electron, hello prepaid Mastercard for 'free' payment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair - goodbye Visa Electron, hello prepaid Mastercard for 'free' payment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by thebobmc
- Receive 7.50 pounds cashback, does the cashback show up as a credit on my Quidco account or ???
Yes, cashback shows as a credit on your Quidco account, and once Quidco gets the money (usually 2-3 months) they will pay it to your Paypal account.

Note that there is a £50 limit to Quidco Paypal payments. This is not a problem for this transaction, but if you use it for other stuff (eg 10% cashback on all Priority Club hotels, 16% cashback on Accor hotel stays at present etc) then it can be an issue. If you have £50+ due at the end of the month, they won't pay it to Paypal and neither will they split it - it remains stuck in Quidco until you can find a UK bank account to do a transfer.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by milano
You can obtain a prepaid card at the following link

www.prepaidfinancialservices.com

Once purchased you will not incur a booking fee with Ryaniar.

Cards are available in 3 currencies (Euro, USD and GBP)
Thanks for the tip, I applied for this card at the link above and topped it up with £50 from my Natwest Visa Debit card, and went through the Natwest secure verification process.

Anyway the card has arrived now and I called them up to activate the card and was told that it was 'blocked' and the only way to un-block it is for me to email them a scan of my passport or driving licence and the front and back of the Natwest Visa Debit.

This sounds a bit fishy, but maybe it's just money laundering prevention. The company does seem a bit strange so I am a little wary.

Do you think this is strange?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
Do you think this is strange?
Yes, in a word.

I'd be very wary about sending anything like that to an organisation I really knew nothing about.

BAH
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Their Companies House registration checks out, but they are not on the FSA register, despite what their web site says.

They have only been in existence since 2007.

I would be wary of sending a scan of your passport or driving licence to anyone. I was once asked for a copy of my passport when I went for interview and I specifically asked for a letter stating what they were using it for (UK residency, although there are other ways of doing that) and that they would destroy it immediately afterwards. I got some strange looks, but you can't be too careful these days.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by milano
You can obtain a prepaid card at the following link

www.prepaidfinancialservices.com
I had a look at this. On the face of it, it is a very expensive card to operate.

Charges and fees are at https://www.prepaidfinancialservices...s_b2c.aspx#fee - scan down to para 23.

Without quoting everything, these are notable:

- loading fee: 2.5% of amount loaded
- Retail purchase transaction – Outside UK: £1.00 / €1.50 / $2.00
- ATM withdrawal - UK: 1.5% (with min/max)
- ATM withdrawal - outside UK: 2% (with min/max)
- over the counter cash advance ( withdrawal?) - UK: £6 / €9 / $12
- over the counter cash advance ( withdrawal?) - outside UK: 2%
- card purchase: £8.95 / €13.50 / $18.00
- monthly service charge: £1.00 / €1.50 / $2.00
- foreign exchange surcharge: 3%
- administration fee (whatever that is): £10 / €15 / $20

This is way too expensive for me, and I for one wouldn't touch it.

In addition, the rates look poor compared with www.fairfx.com - today's rates:
- PFS: €1.1052 and $1.5527
- fairfx: €1.1350 and $1.5950

I've yet to see a better value prepaid card than fairfx, other than possibly the withdrawn Tesco prepaid card.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: *A
Fairfx is the best. And with quidco/TCB one could even be in profit.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:44 am

Prepaid MasterCard

@ Pieinthesky
I had to go through the same process with them.
I sent them a scan of my passport and a scan of the card I used to load initially. It was a bit of a pain but in fairness they ublocked it within minutes of getting the scans.

I've been using their GBP card for 6 months now and havent had any problems with it. If they were in any way dodgy I guess I'd know about it at this stage.

I load it by BACs transfer from my bank account which is free and takes ten mins to appear on the card.
I use it in shops and online which is also free.
The only cost is a quid a month fee which I don't think is terribly expensive.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:21 pm

Thumbs up I use Neteller Net+ card with Ryanair

I was also user of Electron when smart*ss Ryanair changed its policy to start charging for it. As a penny saver I researched all options of prepaid master card and thanks to moneysavingexpert stopped on Neteller Net+. It was free to sign up and I got the card for free after sending my identity and address info. I am loading my account for free, instantly and also spend for free, so basically all FREE and I can once again book flights without the rip off Ryanair booking commissions.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Merryl_Flyer and Bingo Wings

MoneySavingExpert is useful for that sort of info.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Visa Electron cards being phased out

Did MoL know something? Cause or effect?
Originally Posted by moneysavingexpert.com
A loophole to avoid budget airline payment fees could close for tens of thousands as many banks are dumping the Visa Electron plastic, which can be used to bypass charges.

Santander and Co-op customers who have a Visa Electron will see it replaced with a Visa Debit card when it expires or they ask for a replacement.

All Barclays and Lloyds TSB customers with the card had it replaced by a Visa Debit by last October. Only Halifax and Bank of Scotland will continue to issue Electron cards in future, but only on their basic current accounts.
Anyone booking a flight with BMI Baby, Easyjet, Flybe and Jet2.com will escape card payment charges by using a Visa Electron card.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-visa-electron

Mine's a Halifax, so will continue (for the time being?). However, I've never used bmibaby, Flybe or Jet2 and can't remember the last time I flew easyJet, so I'm not worrying too much.

Pity my PayPal topup card isn't universally acceptable for airline bookings, though Air France were happy to accept it at 0% surcharge last week, 'saving' £9 in fees.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
But that also means if the electron card goes, then they have to quote the credit card charges in the price, unless they make some other way of paying without charges available? That's their current reason for doing so - not all cards attract a charge. But if the cards which don't attract a charge are no longer available, then they are legally obliged to include the charge in ticket price?
Old May 25, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Jenbel
But that also means if the electron card goes, then they have to quote the credit card charges in the price, unless they make some other way of paying without charges available? That's their current reason for doing so - not all cards attract a charge. But if the cards which don't attract a charge are no longer available, then they are legally obliged to include the charge in ticket price?
Prepaid MC...
Please no.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Did you also notice problems when paying MC Prepaid in FR, within the last couple of weeks?

It mostly rejects the transaction stating 'the card type is incorrect' - even it was working all year long. I checked 3 different cards (MB, N+ and polish BZ WBK - all the same).

It worked once last week, now again the problem. Also my friends reported the same.

It seems for me like they are trying to ban some cards to make people paying 5€ fees :/
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Interesting

This could be interesting:

http://ryanairmastercardprepaid.blogspot.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.