Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Uber from Sao Paulo city to GRU airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber from Sao Paulo city to GRU airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
FYI:
I recently had a bad UberX experience in Sao Paulo. I was at a hotel and trying to take an Uber to GRU. The driver kept circling and wouldn't stop at the hotel (from what appeared on the app). After waiting over 20 minutes longer than the estimated time for the driver to arrive, we ended up cancelling and took a taxi for double the price. My only reasoning for this is that the driver was afraid to pick us up from a hotel; especially considering that there were many taxis out front waiting. Unfortunately, my Brazilian number isn't in my Uber profile, so I couldn't call the driver to figure out what was going on (and you apparently can't change your number very easily while on the app).

Something to consider if you're using Uber and your pickup location is a hotel.
Several times this year (including four days ago) I took Uber from a Sao Paulo hotel en route to GRU.

There were taxis parked at the hotel with some of the taxi drivers standing around talking with other taxi drivers.

The Uber driver had no issue with driving up to the curb entrance to the hotel where I entered the Uber car.

Your situation is unusual.

The problem might have had something to do with the driver being unfamiliar with the area.

Or, the problem might have been with the Uber app. I find the Uber app a major source of irritation. Occasionally, after I order an Uber car, the app freezes and blocks communication with a driver. Despite the lousy app, the actual driver service (when the app is working as intended) has been excellent.
-
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Several times this year (including four days ago) I took Uber from a Sao Paulo hotel en route to GRU.

There were taxis parked at the hotel with some of the taxi drivers standing around talking with other taxi drivers.

The Uber driver had no issue with driving up to the curb entrance to the hotel where I entered the Uber car.

Your situation is unusual.

The problem might have had something to do with the driver being unfamiliar with the area.

Or, the problem might have been with the Uber app. I find the Uber app a major source of irritation. Occasionally, after I order an Uber car, the app freezes and blocks communication with a driver. Despite the lousy app, the actual driver service (when the app is working as intended) has been excellent.
-
Thanks for the clarification, as I wasn't sure what was going on. Will give it a try next time.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
The problems with the taxi drivers are mainly concentrated in the central region and Congonhas domestic airport.

You´ll be ok getting an Uber from your hotel or office and going to GRU.

Cars are fairly new but of a lower class than in other countries. You´ll get a Corolla or a Civic.
you can always go black car, the price difference isnt huge in USD

i've used it to both CGH and GRU with no issues.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrJBoy

We are heading to GRU today.
Where should we wait for an Uber driver at GRU?
Is there a specific place to wait for Uber?
I have been watching (and hoping) for an answer to this yet unanswered question.

The last time I arrived at GRU - Terminal 3 (November 4th) the Uber app said there were no cars available.

Therefore, I hired a cab from the taxi company (GuaruCoop - Guarulhos) that is available immediately outside the exit door of Terminal 3.

Prior to engaging the cab, I looked around for an Uber sign that formerly could be seen along the curb in the passenger pick up areas in front of the exit doors. I did not see any Uber sign.

I asked a couple of airport employees about Uber and the pick up point, but I did not get any productive response.

I know that Uber is still available in Sao Paulo because I used it while I was there and I used it to return to GRU on November 11th.

My question is, has anyone recently been able to engage an Uber car from Terminal 3 at GRU?

If yes, can you furnish information where the Uber car pick up point is located at Terminal 3?

Much obliged -
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Hope I"m not too late, when you exit terminal 3, you will go to the 5th lane outside, no signs. The app will tell you this. Your driver will likely call you. I get Ubers from Terminal 3 all the time, never any issues.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Worked today perfect from T2 too (you have to go to West exit in case you get out at East - 1-2 minute walk). All goes smooth (go to the 2nd lane as 1st is taxi).
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrewBach

Hope I"m not too late, when you exit terminal 3, you will go to the 5th lane outside, no signs. The app will tell you this. Your driver will likely call you. I get Ubers from Terminal 3 all the time, never any issues.
If I have a phone number that is not a SP number, will the driver still call?

If Uber shows the data of the driver, like the photo of the driver and the license plate and make of car, why would the driver call? Just curious.

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Hi dgcpaphd, I recently returned from Sao Paulo where I used Uber (mostly with good results). I found very few Uber drivers spoke English, so if I did answer my phone, it quickly became clear that it was not going to be a productive conversation. But even so, I had no problems ever meeting up with an Uber driver.

And I had no problems being picked up at Terminal 3: as mentioned below, the app will which lane to meet your driver at (the app said lane 5, but when I requested the car it then said lane 3, which is where he came.) It's also not a huge, bustling terminal, so it was quite easy to keep a look out, since yes, car type and license plate number will be displayed.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion , LH Frequent Traveller , Hilton Gold , Prirority Club Platinum
We used Uber to both Congonhas and Guarulhos airports without any problem , of course it depends on the driver you get , sometimes Uber drivers are not experienced and they tend to rely purely on the navigation system , if you have to be picked up at a hotel you should always make sue that the pick-up point pin should be in the right location .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.