Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Uber from Sao Paulo city to GRU airport?

Old Jan 16, 16, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I did a search for this but found nothing.

I know that I can get an Uber car from Sao Paulo city to GRU airport.

My concern is whether Uber is reliable and safe to use in Sao Paulo to travel to the GRU airport?

Are the vehicles (cars) relatively new?

Social media discusses the anger of traditional taxi drivers against Uber. Has this caused disruption in Uber service to GRU?

Does anyone have any recent experience using Uber traveling from town to GRU?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:30 am

The problems with the taxi drivers are mainly concentrated in the central region and Congonhas domestic airport.

YouŽll be ok getting an Uber from your hotel or office and going to GRU.

Cars are fairly new but of a lower class than in other countries. YouŽll get a Corolla or a Civic.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvdecastro View Post
The problems with the taxi drivers are mainly concentrated in the central region and Congonhas domestic airport.

YouŽll be ok getting an Uber from your hotel or office and going to GRU.

Cars are fairly new but of a lower class than in other countries. YouŽll get a Corolla or a Civic.
Thanks much -
Old Jan 19, 16, 11:21 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
I've done to and from GRU and never had any issues, usually the car thats used for uber Black is a Chevy Cruze or a Civic. Also used Uber to get around town for short trips. never had trouble getting a car.

off the top of my head it was something like $35 range from the airport to the southern part of the city back in December 2015.
Old Jan 20, 16, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
My wife and I used Uber quite a bit back in September and found the drivers courteous and the service reliable. We had a little issue one time with the pickup pin location- being unfamiliar with the area it turned out to be set across the street, then around the corner when we tried to reset it. But overall a more favorable experience than with cabs, who seemed to take us for a ride every time. Prices were definitely lower than the cabs, even if we hadn't gotten the long way round.
Old Jan 21, 16, 6:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire RA; Flying Blue Platinum, several others at not highest tier
Since Uber started in Sao Paulo I only use it over any taxi's. Especially as a gringo.

much cheaper, very reliable, just nothing but good.
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:38 am

Any thoughts on using Uber from GIG to Copacabana? I will be traveling with 3 others. We will each have a large piece of luggage.
Old Apr 4, 16, 6:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titnmn, IHG IC, Hertz PC, National EE
Uber has been great for me with both GRU and GIG (to and from the airports).
Old Apr 4, 16, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bworrell View Post
Uber has been great for me with both GRU and GIG (to and from the airports).
Uber was banned in GIG but not GRU last year. I know that Uber is now available in GRU.

Two weeks ago I used it from Sao Paulo to GRU airport. The service was excellent and the price was less than a traditional cab.

When searching Google, I found several items confirming the ban and only one article dated October of last year saying the ban was temporarily lifted in GIG.

Has the temporary order from the judge that lifted the ban in Rio now become permanent? In other words, is Uber currently available in Rio?

Thanks much -

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Apr 9, 16 at 11:35 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 9, 16, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by pvdecastro View Post
Lower class? Mainly because that modest new $28K Corolla in the USA costs DOUBLE the price in Brazil (because of government taxes). People driving Corollas in Săo Paulo often have sufficient wealth to feel a need to have the car bulletproofed to keep from becoming a victim of crime.
Old Apr 9, 16, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post

Has the temporary order from the judge that lifted the ban in Rio now become permanent? In other words, is Uber currently available in Rio?

Thanks much -
Yes uber is available in Rio. This is just my own experience but it's not that great here, at least so far. I don't need a ride often but when I do the wait time for uber has been on average more than 5 minutes and quite often no cars are even available so I end up just getting a taxi. Part of the problem is I need to plan ahead better but when no cars are available it doesn't make a difference. At any rate, use it for option A but always be prepared (i.e. Have cash) to take a taxi.
Old May 15, 16, 8:11 am

Programs: AA (for now); LATAM; Marriott Gold
I recently used UberX to get to GRU from downtown Sao Paulo. Price was 55 reals on average. Be observant about your luggage. The first driver I used had a large enough car. The second drive did not, and I had to sit up front with him while my luggage was in the back seat (it was a large piece). Everything was fine. We chatted and I drank and ate snacks he had for free.
Old Jun 2, 16, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
We are heading to GRU today.
Where should we wait for an Uber driver at GRU?
Is there a specific place to wait for Uber?
Old Jun 5, 16, 9:13 am

Programs: AA (for now); LATAM; Marriott Gold
FYI:
I recently had a bad UberX experience in Sao Paulo. I was at a hotel and trying to take an Uber to GRU. The driver kept circling and wouldn't stop at the hotel (from what appeared on the app). After waiting over 20 minutes longer than the estimated time for the driver to arrive, we ended up cancelling and took a taxi for double the price. My only reasoning for this is that the driver was afraid to pick us up from a hotel; especially considering that there were many taxis out front waiting. Unfortunately, my Brazilian number isn't in my Uber profile, so I couldn't call the driver to figure out what was going on (and you apparently can't change your number very easily while on the app).

Something to consider if you're using Uber and your pickup location is a hotel.
Old Jun 5, 16, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
We just took Uber from Sheraton hotel to GRU. Our driver arrived within 5 minutes and it cost us R$71.
We took a taxi from GRU to the hotel when we arrived here, and it cost us R$189

Search this Thread