Community
Wiki Posts
Search

where to stay in Rio and IGU

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

where to stay in Rio and IGU

Will be spending a few nights in March in Rio and IGU.

Rio has a Sheraton that's far from the center, and JW Marriott but I don't have enough Marriott points for 2 rooms x 2 nights (160K pts, should have gotten the 70K Marriott Visas when I had the chance).

No Hyatts or Hiltons, and I don't have points in anything else. Is there anything that's bookable with MRs or URs?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:08 am

The Sheraton Rio is not a bad option if you have enough points for free nights.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
The Sheraton Rio is not a bad option if you have enough points for free nights.
I thought it was really far from the center?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:19 am

Not far at all, it's just off Leblon (the best suburb in Rio) along the coast.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

My mistake, I thought it was all the way in Barra da Tijuca.

The rates are excellent - C+P of 6K SPG + $110.

My travel agent is recommending Windsor Excelsior in Copacabana.
Class of the hotel aside, would you recommend the Copacabana location over the Sheraton's?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Originally Posted by stevento
Class of the hotel aside, would you recommend the Copacabana location over the Sheraton's?
Absolutely! The Windsor Excelsior puts you right in the heart of Copacabana, and walkable (or short taxi ride) to Ipanema. The Sheraton is a little off the beaten track.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
Not far at all, it's just off Leblon (the best suburb in Rio) along the coast.
It could be said that the Sheraton is "off Leblon" (Leblon is a neighborhood in Rio's South Zone/Zona Sul, not a suburb), but one of the charms of Rio for me is strolling at will, and the only neighborhood nearby is the Vidigal community, which many foreign tourists might find uncomfortable. You can hike to Leblon's residential and shopping streets during the day. But in practicality, you will be taking taxis to and from the hotel, which can add up. The private beach at the hotel is not the cleanest either.

Copacabana has some not so good streets, but that hotel is well located beachfront near the Copacabana Palace and walking distance to 2 metro stops. The main shopping street in Copacabana, nearby, is very busy well into the evening, with locals taking advantage of lots of restaurants and services and shops. That neighborhood also puts you closer to most tourist sights. The hotel has a rooftop pool iirc.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 1, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:15 am

Will be spending a few nights in March in Rio and IGU.

Rio has a Sheraton that's far from the center, and JW Marriott but I don't have enough Marriott points for 2 rooms x 2 nights (160K pts, should have gotten the 70K Marriott Visas when I had the chance).

No Hyatts or Hiltons, and I don't have points in anything else. Is there anything that's bookable with MRs or URs?
Your choices are limited if you want to use your points. You don't want to stay in the center (centro), anway,, which is the business and government center or Rio, not the center of attractions especially the beaches. You do not want to swim in polluted Guanabara Bay.

Most tourists want to stay in the ocean beach areas of Copacabana and Ipanema (IMHO, latter a tad nicer and quieter). The Sheraton is a little bit further out, separated from the other beach hotels. Some people walk into Leblon/Ipanema to get to restaurants, etc., but others rely just on taxis. There is a favela right above the hotel. If you search here and on Tripadvisor you'll see mention of this.

The JW Marriott has a better location IMHO. But if you want to use points and don't have enough for the JW Marriott, the Sheraton seems like a feasible choice. Even if you use taxis to get to restaurants, etc. outside the hotel, for two nights it won't be bad. I have been to the Sheraton only for events, especially when I worked in Rio 20 years ago, but have never stayed there then or on subsequent visits, so can't comment on the rooms. Lots of reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites.

Haven't seen the Windsor but location looks good. Last hotel we stayed at in Rio was the Praia Ipanema Hotel, which we quite liked. Has your travel agent been to Rio?

http://goo.gl/maps/FDDc5
http://goo.gl/maps/m1Ag5

Last edited by SoCal; Nov 2, 2014 at 6:30 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
My mistake, I thought it was all the way in Barra da Tijuca.

The rates are excellent - C+P of 6K SPG + $110.

This must sound like and echo. I would much prefer to stay in Copacabana or Ipanema than to stay at the Sheraton. In either Copacabana or Ipanema you will be surrounded with excellent options. In practice the Sheraton is remote, mostly because of the walking distance to anything else, but exacerbated by the favela beside it. Frankly, the daily cost will be invariably enough cheaper at the Sheraton that you could take taxis everywhere, but you'll always have a hassle getting around.

There are personal preferences between Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon, three districts beside each other. I will not join in those opinions in that I have relatives living in all three of them. Any of them will be quite fine with tons of options. Between Windsor properties and Accor properties you do have quite a few nice hotel choices. For Accor BTW, if you have an American Express Platinum card they'll match you to their highest elite level, which helps.

The only US chain with a presence in prime area today is Marriott with the JW, small, but superbly located.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:51 am

I´ve stayed at the Sheraton some months ago. Got upgraded to Club Level being SPG Gold what was nice.

The Club Rooms are in good shape and facing the beach.

The Hotel is about 2 or 3kms away from Leblon but you can take a taxi there and have plenty of restaurants, shops, beach, etc.

My current hotel of choice is the Porto Bay Rio International right in the heart of Copacabana and the best i´ve found in terms of service in Rio.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:24 am

If budget is a consideration (at a Rio property if you can't use your points), you could try the Ibis in Copacabana, currently running about R$300 iirc.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your posts.
Did not know about AmEx Plat and Accor. Don't have AmEx Plat now, but may get it by the trip, for different reasons.

Don;t want to go to budgety...I'm traveling with wife and 2 daughters, IBIS would be really pushing it

Windsor Excelsior seems decent enough for 2 nights, and very reasonable at $200/nt.
In Iguassu, the agent is recommending Recanto Park.
Looks fine...nothing special, but we are not there for the hotel.
Or should I go for the Sheraton on the Argentian side? We're flying in very late (midnight) on Sunday, and leaving very early (6.15 AM) on Tue...I didn't want to spend time in immigration from IGU to the AR side...
Our last stop in Brazil is Anavilhanas in the Amazon. No points there ($750/nt)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:10 pm

If you are flying in and out of IGU, particularly on that schedule, stay on the Brazil side and do a day trip to Argentina by local bus or by taxi. Don't know the mentioned hotel, but you might like one that has a pool, even just a plunge pool, after a hot, humid, sweaty day of hiking.
Note: With few exceptions, do not expect the US or European hotel star system to be equaled in Brazil, no matter what star rating the property claims to be.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Thanks so much for your posts.
Did not know about AmEx Plat and Accor. Don't have AmEx Plat now, but may get it by the trip, for different reasons.

Don;t want to go to budgety...I'm traveling with wife and 2 daughters, IBIS would be really pushing it

Windsor Excelsior seems decent enough for 2 nights, and very reasonable at $200/nt.
In Iguassu, the agent is recommending Recanto Park.
Looks fine...nothing special, but we are not there for the hotel.
Or should I go for the Sheraton on the Argentian side? We're flying in very late (midnight) on Sunday, and leaving very early (6.15 AM) on Tue...I didn't want to spend time in immigration from IGU to the AR side...
Our last stop in Brazil is Anavilhanas in the Amazon. No points there ($750/nt)
Given your choice in Amazonas I recommend Hotel das Cataratas in Iguaçu. Check comments here and elsewhere. It is located in the park, has direct access after and before hours to the falls, and is far and away the best hotel in the region. It is managed by Belmond (new name for Orient Express hotels). In the same vein, the class act of all in Rio de Janeiro IMHO is the Copacabana Palace, managed by the same group. No place comes close to those two for atmosphere, and both are in the style of the gilded age. You probably will only do this once, so these two places will give you lasting memories. If you really want a more modern style both the Sofitel (Copacabana) and the Windsor Palace (Leme-adjoining Copacabana) are excellent choices. If you want over-the-top Brazil modern, world class ultra-lux, try the Fasano (Ipanema, beside Arpoador), the Fasano is full of ultra-chic people. There are several other very nice properties, among the a Relais & Chateau property located in a mansion in Santa Teresa, a fair distance away from anywhere you will want to go. If you want other good options like these we can provide more. Despite my knowledgable colleague's comment there are world class choices in Brazil, and their prices are usually in line with what one would expect elsewhere for such properties. Rio also has plentiful absolutely first rate restaurants, some of which are not terribly expensive.

Last edited by jbcarioca; Nov 5, 2014 at 7:35 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:41 am

Well, I did say "with a few exceptions". You've listed them for Rio. And, yes, prices are "in line" indeed. Copacabana Palace is U$760/night for a basic suite that sleeps a third person on a roll-away. Seems like OP's party is 4 persons. Fasano's advertised daily room rate is U$820/night/double, maybe "in line" with the Plaza in NYC. But there are properties that call themselves 4* or 5* that are not.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.