where to stay in Rio and IGU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

where to stay in Rio and IGU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SCSA
Cheers. That may explain why I failed so miserably trying to learn to play The Girl from Ipanema for my guitar class at university.
Or maybe because guitar was considered a university level class at that institution
(unless of course you happened to go to conservatory ;-)

Originally Posted by SCSA
I've surveyed prices and am quite aware of the sticker shock! Coming from Europe it's not as shocking at least. I would say I'd like to keep it within the range of 600 BRL per night, but that may not be possible. Thanks.
Take a look at the Mar Ipanema. Depending on dates, it should be around that stated rate.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
You were required to take one term of art or music (American university). I tried my hand at guitar (this was Nashville after all). thanks for the tips
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:44 pm

Lincoln College, by chance?

and just fyi, the word "Ipanema" apparently comes from the Tupi language and means "stinky lake", from upaba ("lake") and nem ("stinky").
Old May 20, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
RIO question

My wife and I snagged a great MR to GIG and we're making 5 days out of it before heading to IGU for 2 days.

I can book a 5 night SPG award at the Sheraton but am worried about the location as wellas its beach/water quality. Ive been to Rio twice and know that its off the beaten pathn but also know its closer to Leblon and Ipanema, which is where we'll want t hang out. My wife will be about 5-6 months pregnant so we wont be partying hard, just nice dinners, some sightseeing and chilling at beach etc. Is the Sheraton still worth it? Wife and I are not super keen on apartments and would prefer to use pts as opposed to thousands of bucks on a "meh" hotel.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by kdinino
My wife and I snagged a great MR to GIG and we're making 5 days out of it before heading to IGU for 2 days.

I can book a 5 night SPG award at the Sheraton but am worried about the location as wellas its beach/water quality. Ive been to Rio twice and know that its off the beaten pathn but also know its closer to Leblon and Ipanema, which is where we'll want t hang out. My wife will be about 5-6 months pregnant so we wont be partying hard, just nice dinners, some sightseeing and chilling at beach etc. Is the Sheraton still worth it? Wife and I are not super keen on apartments and would prefer to use pts as opposed to thousands of bucks on a "meh" hotel.
If you've been there before, you know you'll be schlepping back and forth to any sights or restaurants by taxi. It may take awhile if your wife gets tired while on the other side of the city sightseeing. You can, of course, walk over to Vidigal for shops and restaurants, if you are of a mind to do so.
As far as beach/water quality, the whole Zona Sul has ocean water quality problems at times, the posto showers have been reported to be contaminated, and Globo once did a report on fecal colliform levels in the sand that would have you tip-toe-ing in your highest platform shoes. Nothing out of the ordinary on the Sheraton's beach.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Any hotels/resorts in Ipanema or Copacabana that have a lap pool?
Old May 31, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Rio doesn't really have what would generally be considered a resort.
Ipanema and Copacabana don't have a lot of open residential space. Most of the hotels have rooftop pools whose size is limited (plunge pools or anyway not full "Olympic size" lap pool). Marina Palace in Leblon advertises swimming laps in theirs, but iirc it is only a lane or so of that length. Royal Rio Palace in Copacabana has a couple of lap lanes I think.
The Flamengo Club in Lagoa has lap pools. Don't know if they do day passes.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

since the thread has been revived, I thought I'd come back and give a trip report.

Windsor Exelsior in Rio - rather basic accommodations. Average size rooms, average level amenities, average breakfast, average lobby, and significantly below average rooftop pool. In American/European terms, this would be a 3.5 star hotel -basic and dependable, but not much else.

In Iguazu, I am glad we didn't stay at Cataratas. By the time we got to the hotel, it was 1 AM. Had breakfast in the morning and went out touring with a guide, getting back to the hotel after 7 PM. A quick dinner in an extremely limited restaurant was more than adequate before the kids crashed, and one drink outside sent the adults packing too, especially since everyone had to get up at 3 AM for a very early flight to GRU so we could connect to MAO. As I suspected, we only saw the hotel for a couple of hours. Cataratas would have been $700+ extra between much more expensive rooms and dinner. Not worth it in our case, IMO.

Anavilhanas was very nice. Very comfortable lodge, nice sized rooms, good quality guides. Only complaint was a very limited menu...every dish was similar all 3 days. Fish was the most disappointing - different one every day, if you believe the label, but prepared the same way - baked beyond recognition until it was a mushy substance tasting like cafeteria fishsticks.
The best dish was the fried piranha we caught earlier that day But we didn't go there for the food, so it retracted little from the experience. Still, a fourth dinner might have been too much.

Thanks everyone for their help.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
http://www.promenade.com.br/palladium/ in Leblon has a lap pool ^

Last edited by boboqui; Aug 22, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, IHG-Pt, HH-D, BW-D
I would like to bump this thread and look for recommendations specifically in the Ipanema area (staying in Copacapana a few other nights on rewards).

I'm looking online and hoping to keep the nightly cost at 600BRL or less. There seem to be a number of a good options.

Any place with a balcony and where we can walk to restaurants and places for drinks would be ideal.

Cheers,
Macmet
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by macmet
where we can walk to restaurants and places for drinks would be ideal.
About anything in Ipanema fits that description.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, IHG-Pt, HH-D, BW-D
C010T3,

It sounds like a great area. I am excited to get there. Can you recommend a particular hotel? The websites look similar and it seems like there are many I can get a room for 600brl. But I've been to cities and hotels before where the websites were not a good a indication of the experience.

Thanks,
Macmet
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:06 am

C010T3,

It sounds like a great area. I am excited to get there. Can you recommend a particular hotel? The websites look similar and it seems like there are many I can get a room for 600brl. But I've been to cities and hotels before where the websites were not a good a indication of the experience.

Thanks,
Macmet
Well, considering that I live here, I don't have much experience with the hotels as a guest. I've heard good comments about Ipanema Plaza, but the reviews on TripAdvisor do point out some downsides. Also, they don't offer balconies and I guess you will have trouble finding those in Ipanema altogether. It has something to do with some old construction codes. Only Fasano comes to mind as having them, since it's fairly new.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:27 am

I would like to bump this thread and look for recommendations specifically in the Ipanema area (staying in Copacapana a few other nights on rewards).

I'm looking online and hoping to keep the nightly cost at 600BRL or less. There seem to be a number of a good options.

Any place with a balcony and where we can walk to restaurants and places for drinks would be ideal.

Cheers,
Macmet
The rooms at the Promenade Palladium in Leblon (my current favorite hotel in Rio) have balconies where one can have a smoke.

View from the balcony on the sixth floor:

There are many neighborhood bars and restaurants. For a snack head to BB Lanches, an outstanding fruit juice bar, just one block away.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another bump for Ipanema recommendations, but more on the luxury side. I'm OK with about $500US/night or potentially more if the place sounds amazing. I was thinking about the Copacabana Palace or the JW Marriott, but I think I'd rather be in Ipanema than Copacabana.

Like everyone else on FT, I'd love to burn my SPG/Hyatt/Hilton points, but I'll burn some at Iguazu.

So for the tail end of our trip, I'd like to stay somewhere in Ipanema that's pretty nice.

Can anyone give me some recs? Is Fasano decent, if I'm willing to reach even further into my pocket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.