Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

How good are BMI at enforcing the bmi amex account opening miles rule

Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi All,

Did a search but couldnt find a thread.

i've jsut received the usual Apply for a bmi American Express® Credit Card from MBNA today and receive 20k miles after min spend.

I noticed in previous emails that there was a 'once in a lifetime' offer, whereby existing or previous customers cannot benefit from the bonus miles again.

Do you know whether this is policed effectively? If i reapplied would i get another 20k?

My last card/account was closed over a year ago.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by GavT_london
Hi All,

Did a search but couldnt find a thread.

i've jsut received the usual Apply for a bmi American Express® Credit Card from MBNA today and receive 20k miles after min spend.

I noticed in previous emails that there was a 'once in a lifetime' offer, whereby existing or previous customers cannot benefit from the bonus miles again.

Do you know whether this is policed effectively? If i reapplied would i get another 20k?

My last card/account was closed over a year ago.
From the one recent case I know of, very effectively.

I know someone who tried after changing her name (through marriage) and address (for the same reason). MBNA had details of her old account and wouldn't credit the bonus miles.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:31 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
You're lucky if they credit the original account with the miles! It's not worth the potential hassle to try this; the bank is on top of it.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:53 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If this was seen as a targeted promotion to encourage you back to the credit card, then you might hope there was some chance of a second batch of miles.

However, I also received the e-mail and am already a Plus cardholder - so clearly it's a general mailing designed only to infuriate and mislead . Maybe one day we'll be able to introduce BMI/MBNA's left and right hands ...
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It's more likely a case of targetting Mastercard holders over to the dark side, but they've neglected to filter out the Amex card holders from the list.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I think it was a mass mail-out.

Mastercard, AMEX and non-card holders all got it. Pretty poor lack of targeting really.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
I cancelled my bmi Amex a while ago after they started charging me to use it for award bookings. I was tempted recently by the card with the annual fee and yearly status miles but I guess there would be no destinations miles if I've already had the (standard) card? I'd be tempted if they just gave me 4000 i.e. the difference between what I've already had and what they are offering for the fee card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.