Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

(Has-been / loud) Celebrities on BD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2004, 10:06 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!

This morning on BD 004, LHR-GLA. Joan Collins was in 2A accompanied by the (relatively new ) hubby. I was sitting two rows behind her. She came in wearing sunglasses and a hat, and with a large crocodile skin rollaway. Quite appropriate for the May Day Bank holiday, huh.. .

Then she takes the sunglasses off, and before sitting down, turns around, smiles and gives a type of imperious semi-wave to the rest of the cabin. I think about 20odd passengers boarded after her, all of whom ignored her, except for one gushing guy, for whom we almost needed a bucket, given the drool and gushing compliments that were dripping from his mouth!

I had a lovely seat companion though, and we both spent the whole flight gossiping about JC's obnoxious attitude and the effects (or lack thereof) of multiple nose/lips jobs /botox etc etc etc over a brandy & ginger. And all before noon too...
Old May 3, 2004, 11:39 am
uk1
Suspended

Calvin Klein wis in the BD T1 lounge on Tuesday morning avec une lady.
Old May 3, 2004, 4:34 pm

Once sat next to Rolf Harris on the Manchester shuttle.

Old May 3, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
LHR-MAN allows for faiirly decent B/C list celeb spotting. The Coronation Street cast in particular seem to frequent the C class cabin on this route. Best ever flight for this was a late evening flight up to MAN at the end of Royal Ascotlast year - much hilarity as various regional celebs (the more obscure, the bigger the ego) tried to fit hats of varying sizes and garishness into the overhead lockers.

On another occasion, a couple of years ago now, saw one of the Coronation Street cast (one who drives a Jaguar) throwing a full scale "Do you know who I am?" routine at the lounge staff at LHR. Not sure why though one of the other people on my flight told me he had unsuccessfully been fishing for upgrades for another member of his family!
Old May 3, 2004, 6:16 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
hmm, let me see gary barlow and another member of take that in december - he had just had a hit and was hamming it up for the girls onboard. Sat next to kieth richards from dublin, him in 1f me in 1D and no one between us, got his autograph in my passport, and then got to meet jagger as well, (we had a great chat me and kieth - he was on his way to finish 40 licks, so thats how long ago it was)
Old May 3, 2004, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Belgian Princess and her Prince on BRU-LHR in November 2002.
Old May 4, 2004, 1:19 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tall Bloke
Once sat next to Rolf Harris on the Manchester shuttle.

"Two little boys ......."
Old May 4, 2004, 1:21 am
uk1
Suspended

Doesn't quite completely count - but in the Old T1 NCE lounge (covered all flights) before it moved over to T2 I met an chatted to Edward Heath for half an hour, and saw Michelle Roux, Mike Rutherford and errrr - well you see everyone at some time or other at NCE!
Old May 4, 2004, 1:49 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Swedish celeb

Bumped into Sven Goran Erikson upstairs in LHR bmi lounge T1. Nice man. Drinks mineral water...
Old May 4, 2004, 5:54 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I sat beside John Malkovich once. Great actor, but... what a boring sod.

If I ever see him again in C, I'll ask to be put all the way down the back.
Old May 4, 2004, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
In the BD lounge at LH - Sue Barker and the blond barmaid from Coronation street, on a flight back from Manchester to London George Graham and some other sky sport chaps and on a recent flight to Belfast a boy band who I had never heard of who were playing in town that night.
Old May 4, 2004, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by AJLondon
She came in wearing sunglasses and a hat, and with a large crocodile skin rollaway.
You can enjoy her outfit in its full 'glory' here (if it prompts, use username [email protected] password capital). AJLondon perhaps we passed each other in the lounge? I was on the BD54 (where I got to sit next to the less glamorous but very pleasant Scotland/Worcester centre Ben Hinshelwood.

David Sneddon is a regular on the BD16, Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling and Gavin Hastings always get 1C when going through EDI and I once whiled away some time at MAN by trying to indentify the various members of the Chelsea FC team sitting opposite by matching their faces to the 'sordid footballers' sex video shame' pictures in my copy of the News of the World

The most disturbing lounge sightings are the politicians, chiefly Dr Ian Paisley en route to BHD. What a terrifying sight...and trust me you have not heard noise until you have heard that man having a mobile phone conversation. He might as well just lean out of the window and shout. Every time he's in there I always hide at the other end in case he enforces his historic right to march through the smoking section or segregate the oranges and apples in the fruit basket.

Most VIPs are well behaved. As observed earlier, lower usually means louder. The French Ambassador apparently made the most appalling scene at EDI after the Scotland v France match in March, demanding his wife be upgraded.

Last edited by ajamieson; May 4, 2004 at 7:41 am
Old May 4, 2004, 9:44 am

Programs: BD Blue+, LH Blue, VS Red (nothing metallic: I don't get out much these days.....)
Seems to be largely football related with me:

Sir Alex Ferguson ( extraordinarily red faced human being ) in MAN lounge
Steve Maclaren ( MME - LHR )

plus

Tom Conti LHR - MAN ( twice )
John Cleese LHR - EDI
David Hasselhof AMS terminal ( huge loud man in orange fleece with huge loud family in orange fleeces : not exactly hard to spot )

Totally unrelated to bmi or flying but it's my favourite so anyway: once saw Robert Mugabe in Boots High Street Kensington , buying toiletries for his entourage from a white envelope full of £50s carried by one of his bodyguards. Disbelief was countered by huge Merc S600 outside plated "ZIM 1 " !
Old May 4, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajamieson
The most disturbing lounge sightings are the politicians, chiefly Dr Ian Paisley en route to BHD. What a terrifying sight...and trust me you have not heard noise until you have heard that man having a mobile phone conversation. He might as well just lean out of the window and shout. Every time he's in there I always hide at the other end in case he enforces his historic right to march through the smoking section or segregate the oranges and apples in the fruit basket.

You're right!! The "reverend" Dr. P wouldn't like papist apples spreading their pernicious influence in a basket of oranges.

Last edited by oiRRio; May 4, 2004 at 9:52 am
Old May 4, 2004, 11:06 am
uk1
Suspended

............. and David McCallum (Man from Uncle) in T1 - nice and chatty but unnervingly small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.