Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

(Has-been / loud) Celebrities on BD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Has-been / loud) Celebrities on BD

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 11:08 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
In the BD lounge at LH - Sue Barker and the blond barmaid from Coronation street, on a flight back from Manchester to London George Graham and some other sky sport chaps and on a recent flight to Belfast a boy band who I had never heard of who were playing in town that night.

I saw Sue Barker in the Rome BDI lounge with the other tennis announcer (brother of Oliver Reed?) a couple of years back. They had been commentating a Rome match.
Old May 4, 2004, 12:11 pm

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
again seems to be football related, but thats possibly more due to my ability to recognise them more than corrie stars

sat beside Rio Ferdinand Man-Lhr not long after his bust. and after Portsmouth drew with Liverpool in this seasons FA Cup most of the team were on a Man-Lhr

My girlfriend reliably informed me that there was one of the corrie shopkeepers on our plane once Man-Cph, but the best one of all I have had was on the way back from world cup in Japan. Ireland had gone out and was on the flight home from NRT to MAN via CPH, and the Sweedish team were all in Y as the Danish team who had gone out the day before had C booked out. Great bunch of lads and helped console me after my disappointment.

P
Old May 4, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: BMI blue, SPG gold, Netto yellow
What a surprise one morning LBA-LHR to find myself in the queue checking in behind Radio 1's DJ Westwood and his 'massive' (consisting of 2 rather shifty looking youths who kept saying things like "Westside" to all the security questions). Check in staff were making him transfer his records from their carrying cases into black bin liners.
Old May 4, 2004, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
LHR-MME, often seen William Hague with Sebastian Coe, Peter Mandelson - they don't often sit near to each other but on occasion, I've had to sit next to all of them. Also, much more rarely Mrs B with one or more of the kids.
Old May 4, 2004, 1:53 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by ajamieson[B
AJLondon[/B] perhaps we passed each other in the lounge? I was on the BD54 (where I got to sit next to the less glamorous but very pleasant Scotland/Worcester centre Ben Hinshelwood.
Darn it, You lucky so and so. I get Joan Collins in front and another (albeit chatty) lady in her 70s to sit next to, and you get the likes of Ben Hinshelwood. Wish I'd done my mini MR on the EDI route instead of the GLA now.

I too got Mr & Mrs Gordon B on the EDI shuttle twice.
Old May 4, 2004, 2:17 pm

Bah - seems like the only celeb I've seen on BD is the most common one - Gordon Brown.

When my BD flight went tech and I had to travel BA I did see the young guy with the sticky out ears from Taggart. "Right, naebdey move - thirs bin a murdir".

On a recent flight I also met a girl flying out to Oz to take part in an ITV reality show this summer (desperately seeking susan or something similar) so perhaps a future third rate celebrity
Old May 4, 2004, 4:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Saw Gavin Hastings today, he was getting on the HX as I was getting off. Checked in behind Phil Neville and family a while ago at MAN. Can't remember where he was going but it was international week and he hadn't been picked (can't imagine why...) and had obviously decided to make use of the free time.

A bit chaotic at LHR today with delays caused by ATC restrictions due to the thunder storm over London this afternoon. BD594 back up here was late and I heard them announce a couple of cancellations, to Belfast and either EDI or GLA I think ??.

A bit of 'adverse weather' and our transport system is in chaos.
Old May 5, 2004, 2:01 am

Mostly politicians as well: Tam Dalyell (used to see him every Thursday evening, always in the same seat in the downstairs lounge at LHR. Rude to checkin staff, too), Alistair Darling (drinking several bloody mary's), Gordon Brown, Paddy Ashdown.

Apart from that: Carol Smillie (bare feet), Jim Davidson (surprisingly quiet), Kate Humble, entire Chelsea team. And this morning I think I spotted that female sports reporter with the deep voice.
Old May 5, 2004, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by 3green
Radio 1's DJ Westwood and his 'massive' (consisting of 2 rather shifty looking youths who kept saying things like "Westside" to all the security questions).
Oh, how terribly modern.

small em Tam Dalyell is rude to absolutely everybody so check-in staff no exception.

Robbie Williams and his former (ahem) 'flatmate' Jonathan Wilkes were on my PMI-LHR flight in April. 'Feel' was on the cabin music playlist, which caused some tittering.
Old May 5, 2004, 4:25 am

Programs: SMWS
Dalyell caused a ruckus the other week when his favourite seat (1D I think) wasn't available. He really does seem an unpleasant sort, but I think he ended up with it anyway From unpleasant to self satsified, I saw George "oh Lord" Robertson in the bmi lounge a few months ago - waiting until the last minute to board so he could stuff more shortbread into his fat face

Apart from politicians, who don't count as celebrities , my own bmi 'spots' are Stephen Hendry on EDI-LHR, and Fergie on MAN-EDI and LHR-MAN. Wandering off bmi, I've seen Bono on an EI flight to JFK and sat beside Tara Palmer-Tumshieheid on a VS flight to Washington.
Old May 5, 2004, 6:55 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Keith Chegwin. Cackled loudly behind me for 45 minutes.

But also Ally McCoist (no luggage, early morning flight, dishevelled suit), Jonathan Edwards (quiet and polite), Kate Garraway (obnoxious Z-list GM TV presenter -- gossiped loudly), Charles Kennedy (soft drinks only), etc etc. All on BD LHR-GLA/GLA-LHR flights.

BC
Old May 5, 2004, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Grantosol
Bumped into Sven Goran Erikson upstairs in LHR bmi lounge T1. Nice man. Drinks mineral water...
He must have stopped flying BA after I opened the bog door on him in the T1 lounge in LHR last year.......

I often have Ian Paisley in the lounge on his way back to BHD. I've seen "Super Ali" a couple of times (once he was lying one the phone in the lounge, "no doll, I'm in the sudios justnow, we ran on a bit" - aye right !) and William Hague. Come to think of it, there are a ton of politicians on the BD12 on Thursday, I can't name one of them properly though.

Best laugh was watching Robbie Coltraine trying to fit into a seat. Fortunately, they had put him in C as he would not have made it into D, E or F. Helluva nice guy.
Old May 6, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Bond Boy
Best laugh was watching Robbie Coltraine trying to fit into a seat. Fortunately, they had put him in C as he would not have made it into D, E or F. Helluva nice guy.
Yes Robbie is a nice guy. I've bumped into him a couple of times in the LHR T1 Domestic Lounge. Last time I got him to act as my look out man...I was sitting at the table near the gate 8A Door of the Euroclass Lounge,trying to squeeze in a final beer and keep an eye on the boarding queue to be my usual last man on the plane. Up comes Robbie with the same idea but he blocks my view of the gate. So I asked him nicely to let me know when the queue had evaporated as he was on the same flight. Robbie did his job just perfectly and we were the last 2 to board.

Another time in the LHR T1 Diamond Club lounge I bumped into Dr Reid, then the N Ireland Secretary. It was just after Helen Liddell MP's ".......s" outburst (Reid was one of the ".......s" she was referring to). At the fridges replenishing my booze I stood next to Dr Reid. Immediately recognising him I mused out loud "that reminds me....I just need a Helen Riddell", and bolted off to the bog. The look on his face was priceless
Old May 10, 2004, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bond Boy
I often have Ian Paisley in the lounge on his way back to BHD.

The mind boggles - can I nominate this for quote of the week?

Flew GLA-LHR with Lenny Henry and his daughter sitting a couple of rows behind me. It was during those awful storms on October 2000 - circling over London for about an hour because they'd increased the separation for landing, folks thrwing up all over the place

Also flew on the same plane as the late Rod Hull (mid 80's LHR-NCL or vv). Apparently emu was flying behind.

And sat opposite the young guy from Busted in the gate 5 lounge at LHR (not that I recognised him - my wife did...)
Old May 10, 2004, 9:23 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

The mind boggles - can I nominate this for quote of the week?
Only if you tell us the meaning of "have" in the swiss tony dictionary, especially when talking about the ultra-liberal Ian Paisley!

Oh, and I had (read: saw) Andy Flintoff on an MAN flight a while ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.