Wiki Posts
Search

Beware bmi regional schedules!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NickB
Their obligation is to reroute "at the earliest opportunity". Whether that means at the earliest opportunity on their services or at the earliest opportunity on another carrier is debatable and, AFAIK, there have been, to date, no judgments to clarify this.

As to which national enforcement body (NEB) is responsible, it is normally the the NEB of the country of departure when the departure is from the EU, so the Belgian NEB rather than the UK NEB for a flight departing from Brussels.

If you were to take it to court, you would have a choice of jurisdiction between country of departure (Belgium) or country of destination (UK) to start proceedings.
Thanks - shame bmi seem less informed about the NEB rules than FT and also that despite two attempts the CAA can't write a simple explanation as you have just done!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
despite two attempts the CAA can't write a simple explanation as you have just done!
It looks to me like a clearcut case of cutandpastecitis. The answer is kind of there in the first sentence but phrased in an obscure way so as to cover all bases and be applicable as a standard answer to a myriad of requests. A candidate for a Plain English Campaign Golden Bull Award, methinks.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Yep, totally agree! I wouldn't have minded so much of they'd actually taken the time on the second reply to actually personalise their reply, but clearly they don't see clear communications as a priority! Will see what the Belgian NEB is like by comparison!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

OK Belgian NEB have now replied & they seem to be having a cometition with the UK CAA for who can come up with the most obtuse replies to simple emails!
Dear Sir,

We have well received your e-mail.

- For your information, the competence of our body is restricted to monitoring the application of Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91. Thus, it is not our responsibility to investigate your complaint in connection with contractual responsibility, the Montreal Convention or under Directive 90/314/EEC on fixed price journeys which could, if need be, be applied in the Courts and Tribunals.

In case of flight cancellation, Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 requires that the operating air carrier offers passengers:

1° the choice between either ticket reimbursement for the part or parts of the journey not made and the part or parts of the journey already made and now of no use in view of their initial journey plans, as well as where necessary, a return flight to their point of departure, and alternatively a re-routing to their final destination in equivalent transport conditions and as quickly as possible (or, at the passengers’ convenience, at a later date) (Article 8);

In its present form, Regulation (EC) 261/2004 itself does not specify whether airlines should reroute passengers via others carriers or by surface transport if there is no alternative flight available on their own aircraft. The concept of “rerouting” is open to diverging interpretations.For your information, this Regulation will be probably revised. A preliminary draft from the European Commission stipulates that : "Where passengers choose the option referred to in paragraph 1(b), they shall, subject to availability, have the right to re-routing via another air carrier or another mode of transport where the operating air carrier cannot transport the passenger on its own services and in time to arrive at the final destination within 12 hours of the scheduled arrival time."

2° assistance under Article 9, namely refreshments and the possibility of sufficient catering in view of the waiting time, a hotel stay where a wait of several nights is necessary, transport between the airport and the place of stay, as well as two free telephone calls (or fax, email, telex);

3° financial compensation is also due, unless the passenger is informed of the cancellation within a certain time limit (Article 5(1)) or the airline is able to prove that the cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken (Article 5(3)). There is unfortunately no comprehensive list for the meaning of extraordinary circumstances. Each situation should be examined individually.

The amount of compensation depends on the distance of the flight. For a flight of less than 1500 kilometres, the amount is EUR 250 per passenger. This amount is nonetheless reduced by 50% if the time of arrival is no more than 2 hours after the arrival time initially planned.

Article 5 of Regulation :
The passengers have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:
(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or
(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or
(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

- If you think that the response of BMI Regional is unsatisfactory, you may complain to our department. In this case, we would like to ask you to complete the electronic complaint form. You can find it on the website: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen...nt_form_en.pdf

Kindly return it to [email protected]. Please include with your complaint a copy of all correspondence exchanged with the airline, a copy of your airline tickets, as well as a copy of all supporting documentation for expenses for which you are requesting reimbursement (in pdf format).

Your case will not be dealt with until the completed complaint form has been received. Thank you for your understanding.

For your information, our organisation has no authority to compensate passengers in place of air transporters. The compensation of passengers - when due - falls to the airline.

We would like to bring to your attention the fact that our organisation, while it is able to invite the competent authorities to issue a report in view of sanctioning the failings of the transporters under Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, if found, it does not however possess any power to oblige airlines to compensate passengers. It falls to passengers wishing to take their request for compensation further, to go to, if necessary, the competent court of law for resolution of the dispute. Indeed, where you have suffered loss or damage, only the national courts can awards damages.

Yours faithfully
I'm not sure if it's really worth pursuing any further with them TBH given this reply!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they do tell you that you need to fill in their standard form for them to consider your case.
On the substance, the key passage is, IMO, here:
Originally Posted by Belgian NEB
In its present form, Regulation (EC) 261/2004 itself does not specify whether airlines should reroute passengers via others carriers or by surface transport if there is no alternative flight available on their own aircraft. The concept of “rerouting” is open to diverging interpretations.
What that would suggest to me is that the NEB will not consider BM to be in breach of the Reg if they offered you a seat on the earliest of their own flights, which they did.
So, yes: if I were in your shoes, I would not pursue it before the Belgian NEB. I would regard a recourse before UK or Belgian courts for breach of the rerouting obligation also too speculative to bother if it were me.

OTOH, you should be able to obtain reimbursement of the whole ticket if you have no use for it at all now, not just the cancelled leg.

They would also have been under an obligation to provide you with a hotel room had you elected to take up their offer of a flight the next day but this would not have been suitable given your work obligation.

That is as far as Reg 261/2004 goes. You might have additional rights to damages under the Montreal Convention owing to the delay in transportation had they rerouted you the next day but this is more complicated than reg 261/2004.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi Nick. Yes in their reply they make it clear they want their standard form filled out and I would have done so however their website made no obvious mention of it, just the email address - go figure!

Glad your take is the same as mine, looks like they're not really interested.

In the end thanks to BA Gold I managed to get an RFS back - the timing is nowhere near as good, however the total cost wasn't bad - given this I don't think I've got enough for a decent legal claim so will probably have to let it go
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
given this I don't think I've got enough for a decent legal claim so will probably have to let it go
Yes. That is what I would do too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.