EDI-CPH getting axed

Old Oct 31, 13, 8:31 am
Original Poster

EDI-CPH getting axed

Final flight on 6/1 2014. Seems a bit harsh to cancel it altogether after having had 2 daily flights for years but I guess having 3 operators on that route is too many.
Old Oct 31, 13, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, BD Blue :(, Le Club Accorhotels Silver, AF/NH Pleb
EDI-MAN seems to be gone from the end of November too (which is a real shame since I may need to fly that route quite a lot soon and will now be stuck with FlymayBe). BRU and ZRH are also gone from the end of the year so looks like bmi are withdrawing from EDI entirely after almost 30 years. A sad moment .
Old Oct 31, 13, 1:58 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-24766639
5 routes going and staff at three bases too.
Old Oct 31, 13, 3:23 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
Yep, BHX, EDI and MAN all gone.
Old Nov 1, 13, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by Jpsartre View Post
Final flight on 6/1 2014. Seems a bit harsh to cancel it altogether after having had 2 daily flights for years but I guess having 3 operators on that route is too many.
A real shame - always check them first for flights (I'm originally from Manchester and spend a lot of time in southwest Sweden, so two of their EDI routes were perfect), but can't say I'm surprised. Flybe win farewise (and departure time wise a lot of the time) on the EDI-MAN route, and to CPH Norwegian and Easyjet have it sewn up - for a 75 minute hop, it's hard to justify the bmi fares. The last time I flew to CPH on bmi was the result of a re-route off BA! Still, a shame.
Old Nov 1, 13, 6:29 am

Programs: BD Blue, KL
yep, same on Edi-Bru. Hope the resulting lack of competition will not results in fares rise!
Old Nov 1, 13, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I may require weekly flights from EDI-BRU in 2014

is there any other operator offering direct flights

I have found Brussels airlines is that the only option ?

Last edited by jacobitetraveller; Nov 1, 13 at 7:34 am
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nearlyheadlessian View Post
A real shame - always check them first for flights (I'm originally from Manchester and spend a lot of time in southwest Sweden, so two of their EDI routes were perfect), but can't say I'm surprised. Flybe win farewise (and departure time wise a lot of the time) on the EDI-MAN route, and to CPH Norwegian and Easyjet have it sewn up - for a 75 minute hop, it's hard to justify the bmi fares. The last time I flew to CPH on bmi was the result of a re-route off BA! Still, a shame.
I've found prices on the EDI-CPH route most reasonable. I've been flying on it weekly the last couple of months and don't think I ever had to pay more than 50-60 one-way. Of course, the low fares may well be a partial cause of the route's closure.
Old Nov 1, 13, 10:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
EDI-BRU will only be operated by SN in the future, which is probably why BM dropped off the route. SN can feed into their (and LH/LX/OS's) network through BRU, whereas BM can't.

Similarly, EDI-CPH can't be successfully operated on 50 fares on BM's full-service model. I think what BM are finding is that fliers aren't sufficiently well informed to make an educated decision taking into account all the value factors; they (or their employers) are just looking at lowest headline fare.

BM needs to find some routes where they can leverage yield, because I'm not sure they can make it work on a low-price/high-volume model, not least because the ERJs only take 48 people, and that's not "high volume".

They also need to get interlining and codeshare set up, so they can start to access networks beyond their European destinations. I paid a premium on my recent BRS-FRA-BKK-BNE flight because I wanted to depart BRS, and no low-cost airline (EZY, FR, etc.) is going to be part of my plans because they'll never interline me to long-haul.

That seems to be the sweet spot. Uncontested mid-volume routes inter-lining into bigger networks. Maybe we could think of some of those for BM
Old Nov 1, 13, 11:33 am

Programs: BD Blue, KL
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller View Post
I may require weekly flights from EDI-BRU in 2014

is there any other operator offering direct flights

I have found Brussels airlines is that the only option ?
Or Ryanair to Charleroi ("Brussels South") (depends on where you need to go, really). If, like me, you are on a budget, it is occasionally the only affordable one (in the past, I had occasions where both BMI and Brussels Airlines were both at 300+ and Ryanair around 100. Sometimes (all the time?), it is operated by Flybe (Bombardier Q400). No complaint against Brussels Airlines (so far).
Old Nov 1, 13, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by gowgowuk View Post
Or Ryanair to Charleroi ("Brussels South") (depends on where you need to go, really). If, like me, you are on a budget, it is occasionally the only affordable one (in the past, I had occasions where both BMI and Brussels Airlines were both at 300+ and Ryanair around 100. Sometimes (all the time?), it is operated by Flybe (Bombardier Q400). No complaint against Brussels Airlines (so far).
thanks I will check out options
Old Nov 3, 13, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by Jpsartre View Post
I've found prices on the EDI-CPH route most reasonable. I've been flying on it weekly the last couple of months and don't think I ever had to pay more than 50-60 one-way. Of course, the low fares may well be a partial cause of the route's closure.
I've seen fares like that on the route, but never for when I want to travel! (Which is, of course, my fault - I should just be more flexible ). To be honest, the hop to CPH was better when there were star alliance connections going - used to be my preferred route for EDI-ARN.
Old Nov 8, 13, 5:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Looking at the press release

"The changes are an inevitable consequence of Bmi Regional's transition from a subsidiary of a group to a standalone business.

"Over the last year, we have rebuilt our infrastructure and systems as an independent airline, and reshaped our operating network.

"We have built Bristol into a major new base, targeted the growing oil and gas business through our increased Aberdeen network and launched new domestic services in Norway."
I guess the abandonment of UK domestic finally ends any hope of a relaunch of a meaningful frequent flyer scheme.

Though as BRS is now a "major" hub, how about a special frequent flyer scheme just for there ? Can't think what they would call it though.
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Looking at the press release

I guess the abandonment of UK domestic finally ends any hope of a relaunch of a meaningful frequent flyer scheme.

Though as BRS is now a "major" hub, how about a special frequent flyer scheme just for there ? Can't think what they would call it though.
Bristol Traveller's Club or Bristol Travellers' Club?

(Incidentally, BRS-ABZ will remain a domestic route until the independence of Scotland).
Old Nov 16, 13, 7:27 am

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Shame that EDI being dumped although given my recent experience with them cancelling flights at just over 14 days notice doesn't massively enamour me to them! Big investment going on at EDI just now, so hopefully other airlines will take up the slack. Thankfully returning from CPH on EZY (for a better price) so don't have to cope with another reroute!

Search this Thread