Wiki Posts
Search

Amex to DC points Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AE
Amex to DC points Transfer

I noticed that one requires 2 amex rewards points for 1 BMI mile. When did that change happen?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Where are you seeing that?

Originally Posted by Amex UK website
1,000 Membership Rewards points is equal to 1,000 miles
edit - ah, is this for USD MR transfers?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AE
Sorry, I had stumbled on the "Dollar and Euro Card" global web site. My mistake.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by rawilliam
Sorry, I had stumbled on the "Dollar and Euro Card" global web site. My mistake.
UK issued ICC cards should use the standard UK MR rates, assume the US issued ICC cards use US rates?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by David-A
UK issued ICC cards should use the standard UK MR rates, assume the US issued ICC cards use US rates?
Do they not use the rate for the currency they are issued in? Hence this thread over on the BA board about moving your large MR balance to a UK-issued USD card (and therefore multiplied by 1.6 when it is converted to dollars), and still redeeming at 1 point/mile. But that wouldn't work for bmi if it's 2 points/mile on a USD MR account.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by raikje
Do they not use the rate for the currency they are issued in? Hence this thread over on the BA board about moving your large MR balance to a UK-issued USD card (and therefore multiplied by 1.6 when it is converted to dollars), and still redeeming at 1 point/mile. But that wouldn't work for bmi if it's 2 points/mile on a USD MR account.
I was talking about redemption rates, not effective earn rates.

Last time I checked, the UK issued ICC cards had airline and hotel programme conversion rates (from MR to programme currency) that were exactly the same as the rates used by UK domestic cards (in all partner schemes I checked). [Hence they were actually more generous that some local Amex cards in certain markets.]

Having just checked again, it looks like the redeption rates for UK issued ICC cards have changed (in the case of redemptions to BMI DC) to 2:1 - with the UK domestic cards staying at 1:1.

So, rawilliam has spotted something that is a change to how it was the last time I looked at it (~6 months ago?) - even though doesn't sound like the rates they were themeselves looking for (i.e. they have a normal UK card).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:39 am

Ah, I see what you mean. So all currencies for UK-issued cards used to use 1:1, but obviously that is much more generous if you are earning 1 point/$ rather than 1 point/£. Strange that only DC would be targetted for such a change, and 2:1 is quite a hit if you've got a EUR card.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As I posted on the BA version of the thread back in April:

"1. Some airline schemes (BA, VS, SAS, Singapore, Delta) offer substantial better value via IDC as they are 1:1 in both and so you get 60% bonus miles, assuming £1=$1.60, even without a transfer bonus
2. All of the hotel programmes and Flying Blue and Iberia are marginally better via IDC, but most would be worse if the $ rate dropped below £1=$1.50
3. BMI is substantially worse via IDC (2:1 v 1:1)
4. IDC has a couple of programmes n/a to UK MR holders (Malaysia, Cathay Pacific) "

There is now a refer-a-friend bonus for the IDC card which gives a 50% fee reduction ($50 for 1st year) and 5,000 bonus MR points to you and your referrer. Whilst useless for BMI transfers due to the worse transfer rate, it is a bonanza for BA / VS account holders. Even paying $50 for 5,000 miles is not a bad deal, and you get a 61% (at current FX rate) uplift on your MR balance as well. And when your balance is almost 300,000, as mine is ....!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium
how do you transfer mr points to idc card
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by alexb1212
how do you transfer mr points to idc card
You read the BA board thread linked in post 5 above! Once your IDC card is up and running, you need to telephone a certain department at Amex (in the thread). Note you can only do it ONCE per year.

Your total is uplifted by the current $/£ FX rate, so today you would get a 61% bonus ($1.61). Obviously this is still rubbish for a BMI transfer, but great for the other airlines.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles

There is now a refer-a-friend bonus for the IDC card which gives a 50% fee reduction ($50 for 1st year) and 5,000 bonus MR points to you and your referrer. Whilst useless for BMI transfers due to the worse transfer rate, it is a bonanza for BA / VS account holders. Even paying $50 for 5,000 miles is not a bad deal, and you get a 61% (at current FX rate) uplift on your MR balance as well. And when your balance is almost 300,000, as mine is ....!
I have a US$ IDC card and am happy to refer and guide through the somewhat complicated application process, quite unlike a normal uk card application, but very worthwhile for BA and VS as Raffles as pointed out. PM me if interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.