Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to get >1.5 BA Miles per Amex UK Membership Rewards point

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:23 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat

Membership Rewards points are earnt and converted to BA Miles in various countries and currencies at the following rates:
  • £1 spent = 1 GBP-based MR point = 1 BA Mile
  • €1 spent = 1 EUR-based MR point = 1 BA Mile
  • $1 spent = 1 USD-based MR point = 1 BA Mile

American Express will happily convert between Membership Rewards balances held in different currencies and countries. Between EUR-based and USD-based MR balances, the conversion rate is 1:1, but between GBP and other currencies, the prevailing FX rate is used to convert between MR accounts.

Therefore with GBP/USD currently over 1.6000, you can do the following:
  1. Earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent in the normal way (including existing balances)
  2. Get a USD-denominated Amex card, even issued in the UK
  3. Convert GBP-based MR points to USD-based MR points at 1 GBP-based MR point = 1.6 USD-based MR points
  4. Transfer USD-based MR points to BA Miles at 1 USD-based MR point = 1 BA Mile
If GBP/USD goes up above 2.0000 again, then you'll get 2 BA Miles per £1 spent. It also could make sense to cease using a UK Amex BA card each year after the companion voucher has been earnt and then switch to an Amex chargecard for the rest of the year if you believe that GBP/USD will remain above 1.5000.

This is not so much a loophole, but shows up the raw deal that Amex UK customers receive on their rewards. The earning rate ought to be 1.5 MR points per £1 spent, but in the UK we get a worse deal than Amex customers in other countries. Similarly, compare the UK Amex BA Premium Plus card to the equivalent Russian version, which gives 1.75 BA Miles per RUB 25 spent or 2.25 BA Miles per RUB 25 spent on BA, which equates to 3.5 BA Miles per £1 spent or a whopping 4.5 BA Miles per £1 spent on BA.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
All well thought through.

Of course, if BA Miles are your goal you would be getting 1.5 BA Miles per £1 with the BA Amex anyway. And it wouldn't be easy to run a US$ card if you live in the UK, as you'd be paying the 2.75% currency conversion fee on every purchase and you'd be messing about transferring $ every month to pay your bill.

As a one-off hit, though, for someone with a huge MR balance, it might be worth a look.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:37 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Raffles
Of course, if BA Miles are your goal you would be getting 1.5 BA Miles per £1 with the BA Amex anyway.
The goal (as in the subject) is to get >1.5 BA Miles per £1 spent.

And it wouldn't be easy to run a US$ card if you live in the UK, as you'd be paying the 2.75% currency conversion fee on every purchase and you'd be messing about transferring $ every month to pay your bill.
No, you've misunderstood. You don't need to use the USD-denominated card to pay for anything. You just need to open the USD card account so you get the accompanying USD-based Membership Rewards account as a conversion vehicle. You would use a GBP-denominated Amex card to pay for everything and earn MR points. The FX occurs only on MR conversions, not on purchases, so don't worry about 2.99% FX fees.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
As a one-off hit, though, for someone with a huge MR balance, it might be worth a look.
And great for those of us who have not had the 40% bonus offer from Amex

Thanks nfh.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:43 am

great post...
how would one go about opening a US card account from the UK?
Based at current earnings would this mean for example if you have 10k MR points currently they would become 16k by doing this? or am i misunderstanding the concept?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by nfh
The goal (as in the subject) is to get >1.5 BA Miles per £1 spent.

No, you've misunderstood. You don't need to use the USD-denominated card to pay for anything. You just need to open the USD card account so you get the accompanying USD-based Membership Rewards account as a conversion vehicle. You would use a GBP-denominated Amex card to pay for everything and earn MR points. The FX occurs only on MR conversions, not on purchases, so don't worry about 2.99% FX fees.
I understand the point. I'm not sure, though, if Amex would be happy to make regular sweeps of points for you rather than a one-off when you open the new account.

One other benefit of this is that US MR promos tend not to be targetted as far as I know - at the moment, everyone in the US can get the 40% BA bonus, for example, whilst the UK scheme is targetted.

Note there is a $35 fee per year to join MR and a $100 annual card fee on the Green Card, which is the lowest you can have whilst still earning MR points.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:49 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmdpkaaa
how would one go about opening a US card account from the UK?
  • If you have a UK Amex card and you happen have a US address, click here.
  • If you don't have a US address, click here.

Originally Posted by mmdpkaaa
Based at current earnings would this mean for example if you have 10k MR points currently they would become 16k by doing this? or am i misunderstanding the concept?
Yes, 10,000 GBP-based MR points would get you 16,000 BA Miles when converted via USD-based MR.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:54 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

One other benefit of this is that US MR promos tend not to be targetted as far as I know - at the moment, everyone in the US can get the 40% BA bonus, for example, whilst the UK scheme is targetted.
So if you have a way of getting a US-issued card, that would result in 2.24 BA Miles per 1 GBP-based MR point, i.e. 1.6000 x 1.40 - even better!

Note there is a $35 fee per year to join MR and a $100 annual card fee on the Green Card, which is the lowest you can have whilst still earning MR points.
I believe this is often waived in the first year. And if you have GBP-based MR through a Platinum card, they might waive the MR annual fee too. For US-issued cards, there's also a Blue card with no annual fee at all that earns MR points.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:07 am

I like the way your mind works need to look into this a little more but it would definately seem worthwhile for converting the 42,000 bonus from my recent platinum card referal and as an added bonus save me the exchange free on all our spending on our 3 week USA road trip coming up soon.

If I can get them to wave the $100 fee - even better
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:10 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janed9388
as an added bonus save me the exchange free on all our spending on our 3 week USA road trip coming up soon.
Remember you'll need a USD bank account to settle the bills if you actually want to spend on the card too as opposed to just using its associated MR account as a conversion vehicle.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by nfh
Remember you'll need a USD bank account to settle the bills if you actually want to spend on the card too as opposed to just using its associated MR account as a conversion vehicle.
grrr..... knew it was too simple - take it I couldn't pay it with my paypal pre-pay or anything simple like that ? (still worth it for the conversion though)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by nfh
Similarly, compare the UK Amex BA Premium Plus card to the equivalent Russian version, which gives 1.75 BA Miles per RUB 25 spent or 2.25 BA Miles per RUB 25 spent on BA, which equates to 3.5 BA Miles per £1 spent or a whopping 4.5 BA Miles per £1 spent on BA.
Sadly there are many examples of this. The BA Amex in India gives you between 2.85 and 4.29 miles per £1 for normal spending and a whopping 4.29 to 6.43 miles for spending with BA. (It's tiered, level one is for the first £3100 spent per annum, level two for the next £3100 and level three beyond that).

However, I have my eye on the Amex Kingfisher Platinum card which gives you automatic King Gold status. Given that King Gold is one rung below their top tier, I would expect it to be classed as a OW Emerald card in due course once KF join OW.

The drawback is that getting an Indian credit card without an Indian address is rather difficult.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:16 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

grrr..... knew it was too simple - take it I couldn't pay it with my paypal pre-pay or anything simple like that ? (still worth it for the conversion though)
No, you have to settle by USD cheque or by wire transfer to Standard Chartered in New York. I'm talking about UK-issued USD cards, not US-issued ones, which have many more payment options.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by nfh
If you have an HSBC account in the UK then provided you can show it will be used regularly, they will assist you in opening a US HSBC account
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:28 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
If you have an HSBC account in the UK then provided you can show it will be used regularly, they will assist you in opening a US HSBC account
Indeed, but paying the bill for a UK-issued USD Amex card from an HSBC USA account is a nightmare. Amex accepts wire transfers at Standard Chartered NY or cheques at a UK postal address. Even with HSBC USA's online banking "Bill Pay" service (not available to non-US residents), you can only specify a US postal address for the payee, no destination bank details. So instead of sending the payment electronically, HSBC send a cheque in the post! But they can't send the cheque to a UK address anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.