Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have You Been Dinged for Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; DL Diamond; Avis First; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum
Have You Been Dinged for Fuel?

Yesterday I returned a rental car to Avis at an airport location. Prior to returning the car, I stopped at a gas station less than two miles from the airport, and filled the car with fuel. On returning the car, I confirmed that the fuel gage was reading 'full'. I also found that all of their employees were engaged in returns of other automobiles. Not wanting to wait for an agent, I left for the airport, knowing that Avis would email me my receipt.

When I received my receipt an hour later, I noticed that there was a $58 fuel charge. I immediately called Avis, and - after 13 hours and two calls - was able to have this fuel charge removed from my bill. While I imagine anyone hearing this story could dismiss it as a random case of 'agent error', I've got my doubts. Identical situations such as the one I have just related have happened approximately 80% of the time I've returned a car to Avis in the last year and a half.

I have kept copies of both my gas receipts and rental charges over the past 16 months that serve to bolster my belief that there might be an ongoing scam at Avis; namely, if a customer returns a car where either no agent is present, or the customer does not wait for an agent to process their bill in person, that Avis will apply a fuel charge even if the car is returned with a full tank of gas. I am dubious that in, the course of 16 months, the five times I have returned a car (with a full tank) and not enteracted with a return agent, that four of these times Avis attempted to bill me for a fuel charge that has ranged from $38 to +$100. I assume that Avis applies this charge in the hopes that most customers will either not review their electronic receipt or that the customer won't bother calling to have the charge removed.

Based on my experiences, I believe that there are only three possible scenarios to explain what I've encountered; those being that either:

1.) Certain Avis locations have a policy of adding fuel charges for returning customers who do not wait for an agent in an effort to financially gain;

2.) Such a policy (either formally or informally) is in-place company wide; or

3.) I have been the unfortunate receipient of a random case of disproportionately bad service.

Have other Avis members experienced similar situations? If so, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:40 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

What location(s)? Some locations are known for doing this. I don't think it's a company wide policy/problem, but def a localized issue.

As for your specific situation: it's hard to say if it was an accident (we all make them) or a blatant/intentional overcharging.

And you were on the phone for 13 hours to have this reversed? If a 5 minute call doesn't correct it, why keep wasting your time in that manner. Just go right to the Better Business Bureau and/or credit card chargeback.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; DL Diamond; Avis First; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum
This latest incident happened at MSP. I've had it happen at TPA, SLC and a few others. The most egregious was when returning a Ford Expedition to ATL fully topped up & being charged $130+ for bringing it back 'empty'.

As for the 13 hours, I made my original call to Avis at 3pm. After a 10min conversation with the agent, I requested a supervisor. I was put on hold, and later told no supervisors were available. The agent took my cell # and told me that the next available supervisor would call me back...probably within an hour. No call all day, and I called back at 8:30am this morning, spoke with a supervisor, and he removed the charge.

Now, I understand that the VR chip technology can determine a 1/10 discrepancy; however, $30-$130 is way beyond a margin of tenths.

It makes me wonder if employees at certain Avis locations have an 'added perk' of free gas for their cars...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I would never not wait for a receipt in hopes that they mailed me a correct one. I know they can change it after the fact (which does happen), but at least I had something to say I dropped off the car.

What, in the case of your scenario, they claimed you never returned the car? And they wanted to charge you $28,000? What proof would you have?

Its worth the 5 minutes.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:49 pm

I've experienced this problem with Avis at PVD and PHL, probably about a year ago, but when returning the car to an agent and then not paying attention to the receipt I was handed. Had to email copies of receipts to customer service, or return back to the rental car facility after having gone inside the terminal.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
What, in the case of your scenario, they claimed you never returned the car? And they wanted to charge you $28,000? What proof would you have?
Now there's an impossible scenario. Thinking you've never notice that all locations have security cameras.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by BigRyeGuy
Based on my experiences, I believe that there are only three possible scenarios to explain what I've encountered; those being that either:

1.) Certain Avis locations have a policy of adding fuel charges for returning customers who do not wait for an agent in an effort to financially gain;

2.) Such a policy (either formally or informally) is in-place company wide; or

3.) I have been the unfortunate receipient of a random case of disproportionately bad service.

Have other Avis members experienced similar situations? If so, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
I experienced this with Avis once several years ago - but with one or two others since then.

I think it's very important to send a message that the contracts will be observed and enforced. I understand the rental agency follows the same principles with respect to damage/loss of the car, and therefore they must respect their own printed policies wrt fuel and other matters.

The best plan is to send a signal that there will be zero tolerance policy for anything that even looks like an organized attempt at levying false charges, and that the pushback against dubious practices will be firm and immediate.

1. I take a pic of the fuel gauge at return, also showing odometer.
2. I always ensure I obtain a receipt from the local gas station where I refuel. I agree that many near-airport gas stations seem to have autopay pumps that run out of receipt paper, so this takes more time - but, always worth it.
3. If this banditry happens, I contact the rental car station manager and copy national HQ by email with a polite but short statement with the info above, and the false charge, and noting the possibility of organized banditry. I then inform them, if this is not corrected within a short and specified time frame, my next contact will be the SAG's office with this same information.

Why should we lie down for this robbery??
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Now there's an impossible scenario. Thinking you've never notice that all locations have security cameras.
And you have full and uninhibited access to said security cameras?

Seriously... If you think the local office, or AVIS Corporate has some scheme going on to charge unsuspecting renters for a tank of gas, why wouldnt you think they would alter/doctor/remove video evidence of a car returned?

Waiting 5 minutes can be that bad. You've spent significantly more time posting this on this forum.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
And you have full and uninhibited access to said security cameras?

Seriously... If you think the local office, or AVIS Corporate has some scheme going on to charge unsuspecting renters for a tank of gas, why wouldnt you think they would alter/doctor/remove video evidence of a car returned?

Waiting 5 minutes can be that bad. You've spent significantly more time posting this on this forum.
+1 Can't agree more. We always wait - even if it takes 15 mins. Getting the receipt will avoid a lot of potential problems, and dealing with it will easily take you more than the 15 mins. wait.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

You've spent significantly more time posting this on this forum.
You're right...but am not running to meet a departing flight.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
If only every locations return area had cameras... wishful thinking.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Upon return yesterday in LAS, the hand-held computer wouldn't work and they said they'd email me the receipt. I got it.. and a >$30 bill for fuel. Called immediately to the CHM desk and was told I'd get a call back shortly. No calls, but when I looked at my Avis receipt online, the fuel fee is gone. But the weekly rate jumped by more than $60. WTH!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:41 pm

When I worked at Hertz (and Avis), we incentivized our return line employees to charge for fuel. I'm guessing that is why if the customer leaves the car without a receipt, it's easy for the employee to charge for fuel and hope for the best.

We never asked for a gas receipt, out of customer service, but contemplated the policy several times. For example, on recent Toyota Camry's, if the tank was full (to the first click) you could likely drive 60-70 miles with the needle on full. The customer could bring the car back without refueling and the gas gauge would still show "full." We ended up changing our return verbiage from "is the gas tank full?" to "did you replace the fuel you used?" and our gas collection fee increased significantly.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I was just scammed 125SEK (20$) on fuel.

I drove a diesel Volvo about 180km, which should take max 10liters = some 140SEK at pump price. Refuelled some 136SEK before returning the car, but the gauge did not show full -> refuelled again but the pump did not want to pump anymore. On return I told this (driven 180km and refuelled, but gauge showing near-to-full), and the AVIS rep told me "no problem, if there is really a liter missing, it is OK".

Got the receipt and OK. Later checked my credit card and found 125SEK higher charge, requested a new receipt at AVIS and saw the new added 125SEK fuel cost!!

No reply from them. I am furious about these scams. Not for the tiny 20 bucks but for the nuisance and effort to try to fix things spending my time. Question of principle.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by FFlash
I was just scammed 125SEK (20$) on fuel.

I drove a diesel Volvo about 180km, which should take max 10liters = some 140SEK at pump price. Refuelled some 136SEK before returning the car, but the gauge did not show full -> refuelled again but the pump did not want to pump anymore. On return I told this (driven 180km and refuelled, but gauge showing near-to-full), and the AVIS rep told me "no problem, if there is really a liter missing, it is OK".

Got the receipt and OK. Later checked my credit card and found 125SEK higher charge, requested a new receipt at AVIS and saw the new added 125SEK fuel cost!!

No reply from them. I am furious about these scams. Not for the tiny 20 bucks but for the nuisance and effort to try to fix things spending my time. Question of principle.
Not sure whether you were returning to TLV, but my return was $80 more expensive than it should have been including a $20 fuel charge for a full tank and a $50 charge they cannot document. I'm disputing with my credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.