Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using avis corporate code for my partner allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Using avis corporate code for my partner allowed?

Hi,
I am eligible for a corporate code for doing Avis rentals which gives me a substantial discount ($100+ on comparable rentals without the corp code).

Me and my partner (who doesn't work for that corporation) are travelling together. I will not be the driver, so it will be my partner's name on the car rental and he'll be driving. (I can't drive for various reasons).

Can I still avail that corporate code? I have my corporate ID and will be standing right next to my partner if they ask - is that sufficient? If it matters, we are a same-sex couple and this car rental is in a state which doesn't recognize those partnerships.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

You won't even be asked. No worries.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by noamaan
Hi,
I am eligible for a corporate code for doing Avis rentals which gives me a substantial discount ($100+ on comparable rentals without the corp code).

Me and my partner (who doesn't work for that corporation) are travelling together. I will not be the driver, so it will be my partner's name on the car rental and he'll be driving. (I can't drive for various reasons).

Can I still avail that corporate code? I have my corporate ID and will be standing right next to my partner if they ask - is that sufficient? If it matters, we are a same-sex couple and this car rental is in a state which doesn't recognize those partnerships.
As long as your drivers license addresses are the same, you can both drive the car without informing Avis/paying the additional driver fee/etc. Avis considers it "life partners" in this situation. Maybe you reserve the car and then let your partner drive? I agree you shouldn't have an issue with renting under your corp code, but the corp could prohibit it. That's a large risk (I'm my opinion) if you get into an accident/other).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
You might double check with your company, but as long as you're there at the counter it should be fine.

FWIW I've only been asked to show my work ID once (at SMF) when using my corporate code. Had to scramble around my wallet and showed my health insurance card, which was acceptable.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lost
You might double check with your company, but as long as you're there at the counter it should be fine.

FWIW I've only been asked to show my work ID once (at SMF) when using my corporate code. Had to scramble around my wallet and showed my health insurance card, which was acceptable.
It is never that simple. Several Large companies Car Hire plans exclude insurance to keep rate low and company carries their own insurance if needed for rentals.

If this is the case as it often is, if your partner is driving and has accident your company will not insure your partner.

Actually your company if carrying their own insurance, probably won't insure you if hire is not for work purposes, eg hired for a personal trip/weekend away.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My company has a code for business travel and one for personal travel. So, I think that is the first thing OP should check for insurance reasons as others have mentioned.

Then, check the T&C for the code and the company's definition for domestic partner.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by scubaccr
It is never that simple. Several Large companies Car Hire plans exclude insurance to keep rate low and company carries their own insurance if needed for rentals.

If this is the case as it often is, if your partner is driving and has accident your company will not insure your partner.

Actually your company if carrying their own insurance, probably won't insure you if hire is not for work purposes, eg hired for a personal trip/weekend away.
I should have clarified that I wast talking about a personal rental, not business. I get the discount for personal rentals thru my company, but extras (like insurance) are between me and Avis.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

OP here - the corp code I'm using is explicitly for personal/leisure rentals, not business travel.

I'm hoping to get insurance etc through partner's credit card as usual by declining it at rental counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.