Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis First, President's Club & Chairman's Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by bjcleaver
Can anyone clarify how "best available" is supposed to work? I'm Chairman's and generally have no complaints about the cars I'm given. I rent from BOS about once a month and have gotten mostly Caddys and recently a Taurus. But I see lots of BMWs, Infinitis, etc. sitting there. Are those not considered "better" than a Taurus? Or are they already reserved?

I'm usually in too much of a hurry to ask for something else on the lot, but I assume I could? Or call the CC line and put in a request?
I'm traveling to Boston frequently as well and my experience is much like yours. For some reason BOS doesn't like to give its BMWs to Chairmen. I once called the CC line to complain. I got a BMW the next week but the week after that I was back to a regular ol' car. I usually just go grab the keys out of the car I want and take it up to the counter and ask them to switch -- they usually do it.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Best available (according to historic terms of the CC) does not apply to any specialty/cool cars. However, on my most recent check on my account, it shows "upgrade to best available car" as a CC benefit. Many folks still won't upgrade to a specialty/cool car without a manager's approval. If you ask nicely, you should have good luck often. Not always, but often, as long as you're asking for a reasonable car.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ramalama8
I'm traveling to Boston frequently as well and my experience is much like yours. For some reason BOS doesn't like to give its BMWs to Chairmen.
Same goes for PC at Boston. I'll usually get a Luxury or Premium when I book Intermediate, but getting something from Cool Cars/Specialty requires a little begging.

For some reason BOS isnt nearly as generous as other stations.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by bkafrick
For some reason BOS isnt nearly as generous as other stations.
Thanks for confirming with BOS, I was hoping it wasn't just me!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
FYI, I called up the Chairman's line a few days before my trip and asked if they could put in a request for a BMW with BOS. I said I knew they couldn't promise anything, but if they could just add a note to my res.

Avis still seems to be working out the kinks at the new Rental Center at Logan, but I had a nice BMW 5 series waiting for me there!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by bjcleaver
FYI, I called up the Chairman's line a few days before my trip and asked if they could put in a request for a BMW with BOS. I said I knew they couldn't promise anything, but if they could just add a note to my res.

Avis still seems to be working out the kinks at the new Rental Center at Logan, but I had a nice BMW 5 series waiting for me there!
!@#!@$!11! Argh. Posts like these make me jealous.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum. 1MM IHG Platinum. National EE. Hertz PC
I have searched the posts and not found clarity on this, though I am sure I missed it:

To qualify for First, will 12 one-day rentals suffice? Or, must they be 12 two-day rentals?

I am unclear if the "qualifying" rental requirement of two-days is just for the eventual weekend certs or for the initial qualification.

I often use a costco awd which gives me rates for a premium only a few dollars more than the lower classes. The potential for luxury upgrades (when "available") will be worthwhile.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:12 am

So fellow Chairmen, have a question for you. I'm told that at DCA, they don't have enough luxury cars so they can't upgrade me on an intermediate res, and furthermore they claim that several new model cars are coded such that they can only accept a premium or higher reservation. There may be some truth to the lack of luxury vehicles, as they have many Specialty vehicles (BMW, XTS, etc..) but very few luxury cars.

This frankly sounds like BS, but it's coming from the station manager, operations manager, and district manager so there is some consistency. I understand that Chairman upgrades are subject to availability of course, but I'm pretty certain they don't have any luxury reservations. The '14 CTS I've been eying has been sitting on the lot for the past week.

Very frustrated with my CC experience at DCA. What's the point, if I can get even better vehicle selection at National?

I guess my question is whether there is merit as to what management is telling me.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 3, 2014 at 8:58 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
So fellow Chairmen, have a question for you. I'm told that at DCA, they don't have enough luxury cars so they can't upgrade me on an intermediate res, and furthermore they claim that several new model cars are coded such that they can only accept a premium or higher reservation. There may be some truth to the lack of luxury vehicles, as they have a bunch of Specialty cars (BMW, XTS, etc..) but few luxury cars.

This frankly sounds like BS, but it's coming from the station manager, operations manager, and district manager. I understand that Chairman upgrades are subject to availability of course, but I'm pretty certain they don't have any luxury reservations. The '14 CTS I've been eying has been sitting on the lot for the past week.

Very frustrated with my CC experience at DCA. What's the point, if I can get even better vehicle selection at National?
Sorry, I'm no help on this one. I've never needed to rent a car from DCA. I always fly in and then take a taxi or metro everywhere I need to go. However, if you aren't getting the service/upgrades that you want then absolutely try National for a couple of times.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:55 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
So fellow Chairmen...

I guess my question is whether there is merit to what management is telling me.
I'd go to National too. I've only swapped at DCA a few times in the past 18 months and had no problem getting what I asked for (Infinitis or an Enclave all times).

If you're up as far as the station manager and district mgr, then there's not much else you can do but take your money to another place. Seems they are a very stingy location! It's only been a few times (less than 10 on probably 300 rentals the past 2-3 years) that I've been denied a car. Some have been that the car is brand new and considered specialty (XTS when it was first new, etc), that it couldn't go one-way, or that it didn't have it's plates yet (CTS in PHX in Feb, or the new Silverado in RDU last week when they were sitting way over in the corner of their lot).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:52 am

I take back what I said yesterday. The DM very generously upgraded me. Glad the initial resistance has dissipated. Thanks Avis CC!

Pardon my frustrations from the last post.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:34 pm

According to the MasterCard website, Avis First membership is included with my World Elite card. However, I cannot figure out how to attach this benefit to my Avis Preferred account. I called MasterCard yesterday, who transferred me to the concierge, who transferred me to the travel agent. None of them were able to help beyond offering to make a reservation for me. Any ideas?
World Elite Benefits

Complimentary membership to Avis Preferred®, where available
Save up to 25% on each rental
Membership to Avis FIRST® – Avis’s invitation-only rewards program (for US cardholders)*
Other special promotions, subject to availability
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by BookerT
According to the MasterCard website, Avis First membership is included with my World Elite card. However, I cannot figure out how to attach this benefit to my Avis Preferred account. I called MasterCard yesterday, who transferred me to the concierge, who transferred me to the travel agent. None of them were able to help beyond offering to make a reservation for me. Any ideas?
Same problem here. Citibank told me to call Mastercard, and then I went through the same loop.

I tried calling AVIS directly. The rep told me he thinks the benefit exists, but doesn't know for sure who I should contact. He gave me a number to call the AVIS Wizard Group that isn't open on weekends. I'll post a followup with the appropriate number if this is successful.

Last edited by mcdullhk88; Apr 5, 2014 at 4:12 pm Reason: More info.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Same problem here. Citibank told me to call Mastercard, and then I went through the same loop.

I tried calling AVIS directly. The rep told me he thinks the benefit exists, but doesn't know for sure who I should contact. He gave me a number to call the AVIS Wizard Group that isn't open on weekends. I'll post a followup with the appropriate number if this is successful.
Someone in the MasterCard thread said that the travel agent at the concierge desk was able to send them an email link to sign up. Maybe we just need to call back and find the right person.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
So I've been renting from Avis pretty much at least once a week for the past couple of years. I've been a Presidents' Club member for probably 6 years or so, at least. I'm also a Sixt Diamond (and Hertz Gold Club) member, so I have choices. I'm CEO of a small, but growing company based in Germany (but because I used to live in Switzerland, my Presidents Club membership has so far been in Switzerland). I travel to the USA a lot and we have a small office in the USA.

I understand that Chairmans is an invitation-only status and that people will probably tell me "if you have to ask"...but I would like to know, is there any way to get Chairmans status, because with my amount of rentals, I don't see how anyone could rent more often than that . And the one thing that would be most useful would be to get a ride back to the airport in the car, when in a hurry.

Any advice on whom to talk to? Thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.