Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IceTrojan
This thread is to provide data points for upgrades at Avis. If you are wondering or would like speculation on what upgrades will be given at a particular location, please visit this thread:
The "2016: What upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Please use this format when posting, to keep it clean:

Booked:
Assigned:
Received: (if it differs from the assigned vehicle)

Any other comments.
Print Wikipost

2016-2017: List Your Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RBD22
May 19
Booked: Convertible
Assigned: Cadillac XTS
Received: Ford Mustang Ecoboost (non-convertible)

I was horribly disappointed by my experience at DCA. Our flight, like every other flight that night, was delayed a couple of hours, causing us to arrive after their midnight closing time. I was flat out told that since it was after midnight, I had no other option and they couldn't work with me. My fiancé and I had to appeal to a couple of people before we were given any other option. It wasn't our fault, after all, that we arrived so late. They finally gave us an option of the Mustang with 22k miles and a dirty interior.

The Cadillac was loaded out and all around seemed to be a really nice car but this was just for two of us with small bags. We didn't need all that car and had specifically booked a convertible because we wanted a convertible. The manager at the location told us that they "only have 2 convertibles and they go fast." He didn't really have a response after we informed him that we had booked it 5 months ago, though. This was my first time driving the redesigned Mustang. It has good power and drives really well. The visibility left a lot to be desired, though.
I would push for at least 50% of your payment to be refunded if you paid for a convertible and got a coupe, if not more.

DCA was atrocious on my last visit too. Upon returning by the said time on the contract, I received a $45 fee without anything listed next to it on the receipt (just a blank line, with the $45 + fees). Preferred agent said it's the "airport fee" and was on there since I made the booking. They called the manager, who refused to even come talk to me or let me come talk to her. I called the CHM desk and they got involved. The manager wouldn't give them any explanation other than "That fee was there when he made the booking". It wasn't. I sent my original contract and original reservation to them and they "made a courtesy adjustment" removing it. So annoying and will prevent me from using the DCA location for the near future.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; May 30, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Booked: Standard Elite SUV
Assigned: 2017 GMC Acadia
Received: 2017 Ford F150

Lady at the desk claimed the Acadia was a "free upgrade". I asked what else they had, and she said there was a brand new F150 that needed to go out because it had been idle for 9 days and corporate would take it back from them if they didnt rent it out soon. Nice truck, 4x4 and it had the 2.7 EcoBoost, it was much better than the 4x2 V6's I've encountered recently.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:57 am

Booked: Standard SUV
Assigned: 2016 Ford Edge
Received: same
I found out after i left that this particular Edge had the My Key safety features activated, which was incredibly infuriating. The speed was capped at 65mph and it would ding every time you cross 55 and 60 on the way to 65.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

ILM
CHM
Intermediate
Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Asked to swap to the MB SUV they had (GLE, maybe?) but they had a reservation for it. Glad we didn't get it anyway, it was filthy in/outside and reeked of smoke. The Fusion was tight for our journey with the battery-consumed trunk (2 adults, baby, stroller, pack & play, clothes/games for a week, cooler, etc) but at >37 MPG, it was perfect for 2000 miles of driving.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:38 pm

Arrow

Booked: Luxury
Assigned: Infiniti QX70
Received: Infiniti QX70
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:28 pm

Booked:Standard SUV
Assigned: 2017 F150
Received same.

Assigned the F150 as a comp upgrade. Another brand new one ( 3/17 MFG date) Ecoboost and 4x4.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Booked: Compact
Assigned: -
Received: Mustang Convertible

Left me feeling good all over
So good, in fact, that I managed to lock the keys in the trunk half an hour later
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:56 pm

Booked: Pickup
Assigned: 2017 F150 with 2400 miles
Received: Same. This one not as loaded as the other new ones. basic V6 4x2 crew cab.

Co-worker picked up at the same time:
Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: see counter
Received: 2017 Ram 1500.

Even with the F150 being the lowly V6 basic package, the F150 is still a far better product. The Ram feels Cheap
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmoser2
Even with the F150 being the lowly V6 basic package, the F150 is still a far better product. The Ram feels Cheap
Completely agree. IMO, from a slew of rentals: F150 > Silverado > Ram. While the Titan looks nice, it's not even close to any of the other pickups in the rental fleets (unless you want to talk about the Frontier, but that's a whole new definition of crappy rental vehicle, IMO).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: SK *G/AB Sapphire/AZ Gold/IHG Gold
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: 2017 Chevy Equinox
Received: 2017 Chevy Equinox

Brand new well equipped car with built in navigation. However, the engine is quite lacking in power.

Assigned: 2017 Toyota RAV4
Received: 2017 Toyota RAV4

Basic model with manual AC, no GPS. Other than that I liked it. It was almost new - 2900 on odometer.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:04 pm

Booked: Luxury
Assigned: 2016 Volvo XC60
Received: 2017 BMW X5 with 9550 Miles fully loaded.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:30 pm

Car reserved: corvette or similar
Assigned Corvette
Received: Corvette

I'm in Miami atm and since I have never seen a Corvette reserveable in nyc I figured I'll give it a go. Sucks it only comes with 150 miles and I am planning to go to key west and back but oh well worth the $130 + about $170 in charged miles. Ain't a bad pricE for a one day corvette rental. Drove it to the hotel and you can tell it has 18,000 rental miles on it and it's a 2017 model made in August 16. Kind of surprised there is that many miles on it considering the miles limit on it.

What's weird was i tried to pick car and it told me it was an upgrade at first. After going to the desk he fixed it on
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:35 pm

Booked: Mustang convertible
Assigned: chevy Malibu
Received: Chevrolet Corvette

I had a Corvette rented at MIA but figured out it would be cheaper to just pay the fee to return it to Key west international vs laying the mileage gee at $0.75 per miles when I already drove it 160 miles to key west. Lady just offered me the corvette to take it out of there since I assume they don't normally have them there. Might be a problem since the app says I have the Malibu but the counter lady just gave me this and told me I would be fine telling them to just close it out.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Booked: Standard Elite SUV
Received: GMC Yukon XL

Booked: Full size
Received: Cadillac XTS

Received: BMW X5
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Booked: Economy (only car bookable for one way)
Received: Mercedes GLS 450

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.