FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   2016-2017: List Your Upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1736394-2016-2017-list-your-upgrades.html)

IAHtraveler Jan 4, 2016 10:17 am

2016-2017: List Your Upgrades

Let's start a clean slate and get a new thread, as the old one is nearing 200 pages of posts!

IceTrojan Jan 4, 2016 12:44 pm

Booked: Standard (Hyundai Elantra or Similar)
Assigned & Received: 2016 Mitsubishi ASX
  • A fun little SUV that's apparently only in the Aussie market. Lots of cargo room for its size and appreciated the hard cargo cover in the back. Short wheelbase made it easy to park and navigate the city. Seemed like a mid-level trim: cloth seats, no sunroof, but had backup cam and parking sensors.

There was a sweet-looking white Holden sedan on the lot (in the US it would be a Chevy SS), but opted to stick with the smaller Mitsu.

Just a note: Originally was going to pick up at SYD but picking up in-city and returning to SYD had the same daily rate minus the airport premium fee, so saved about $40 USD on a 3-day rental. Worked for us; we just took the train into the city, explored for a day, then took the bus for 10 minutes to pick up the car for a trip out of the city (and avoiding having to find/pay for parking in the city)

Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Mercedes-Benz E-class
Asked for/Received: Cadillac XTS
  • If this one looks familiar, it's because it is... same exact situation/result as the week previous. Apparently there were "issues" with my previous description of the events, so let me just make it clear: MB too narrow in the back for a long drive, staff looking to help put me in something else (they know me at this station, but a different shift from the other week), I point to a lonely XTS in the corner of the lot, which ended up being unassigned. Done and done.

Assigned/Received: VW Jetta, fully loaded
Returned/Received: Ford Fusion Titanium
  • I hadn't driven the new Jetta yet, so was willing to give it a go; hated it. Returned it the next day to a bare lot (all luxos assigned to other CHM). I normally don't go with Ford products, but anything was better than the Jetta, and the Fusion is actually a decent car.

1kIAH Jan 4, 2016 5:32 pm

Booked: Compact
Assigned: Ford Taurus LTD
Received: Ford Taurus LTD

Not a bad upgrade, though I prefer the Fusion to the Taurus (I dont like that the trunk isn't spring loaded when opening it. Usually I dont see many Tauruses (Taurii?) but today there were at least 6-7 in the PC/CHM area. This one has 198xx miles on it and the seats are a bit beat up.

thomasmessi Jan 6, 2016 8:52 pm

Booked: intermediate
Assigned: Nissan rogue AWD SUV
Received: Nissan rogue AWD SUV

This is the first time I am renting AVIS. Not sure if this can be considered as an upgrade.. Next time will try to request something or try select&go.

papyPiHi Jan 7, 2016 3:57 am

Originally Posted by thomasmessi (Post 25975557)
Booked: intermediate
Assigned: Nissan rogue AWD SUV
Received: Nissan rogue AWD SUV

This is the first time I am renting AVIS. Not sure if this can be considered as an upgrade.. Next time will try to request something or try select&go.

In Europe the Quashqai (smaller version of the Rogue) is considered a large SUV, so I think you got a higher category here, unless the sizes are different in LAS :)

thomasmessi Jan 7, 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by papyPiHi (Post 25976893)
In Europe the Quashqai (smaller version of the Rogue) is considered a large SUV, so I think you got a higher category here, unless the sizes are different in LAS :)

so from intermediate to intermediate SUV is not considered as upgrade then? only if to a large SUV can be considered upgrade? I am actually confused with different level and what should be considered as upgrade..

Redwood839 Jan 8, 2016 7:51 am

Booked:Full Size
Assigned: Chevy Traverse
Received: Ford Edge Titanium. Free upgrade, perfect shape for the 1500 trip.

papyPiHi Jan 8, 2016 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by thomasmessi (Post 25979524)
so from intermediate to intermediate SUV is not considered as upgrade then? only if to a large SUV can be considered upgrade? I am actually confused with different level and what should be considered as upgrade..

Don't know about the US, but in Europe yes, intermediate SUV is hugher than intermediate

IceTrojan Jan 8, 2016 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by papyPiHi (Post 25985720)
Don't know about the US, but in Europe yes, intermediate SUV is hugher than intermediate

In the US, intermediate SUV is also higher than intermediate.

wrightflyerB Jan 9, 2016 7:19 pm

Booked: Standard
Assigned: Nissan Altima
Received: Kia Sedona

This was actually near the end of 2015. Needed a USB for the 3.5 hour drive from Port Columbus to Frankfort, KY. The base Altima didn't have one (that I could find). My options were limited to Select & Go, which was all Chrysler T&C or the lone Sedona. Couldn't find the USB in the T&C so took the Sedona.

Assigned/Received: Nissan Altima

Since Evansville is one of the few licensee locations for Avis, the lot was full of Nissan cars (Sentras and Altimas) from D-Patrick, an Evansville auto dealer. The difference I liked, however, were the available options. Back-up camera and USB! Either way, sips fuel and was good for the drive to Madisonville, KY. However, the lack of an ice scraper was troublesome (I know. I know, "Rookie mistake, wrightflyerb!").

DC_infrequentflyer Jan 12, 2016 2:22 am

Booked: Full Size
Assigned: None
Received: 2016 Lexus GX 7000 mi odo

1kIAH Jan 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Booked: Compact
Assigned: Ford Fusion
Received: Chevy Camaro SS

Didn't want to drive another Ford, asked for something else, offered MKT (I feel like it's a tall hearse) or Mustang or Camaro. Chose Camaro, turned out to be the SS. Not great visibility out of it, but still decent to drive.

IAHtraveler Jan 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Booked: Full
Received: MB E350 twice this week. Once it was pre-assigned and the other I swapped to it from an X1. Quite the opposite from Q4 last year when they wouldn't let these go for under $200 a day, independent of status.

Originally Posted by DC_infrequentflyer (Post 26004232)
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: None
Received: 2016 Lexus GX 7000 mi odo

WOW! That's one of the best upgrades I've seen. I'm jealous, I want to drive that. There were rumors ~2 years ago that ATL was going to get a few Lexuses, but that never came to be.

radiata Jan 14, 2016 9:58 am

Booked: Group B - VW Polo Hatch or similar (EDMR)
Assigned: Group B - VW Polo Hatch or similar (EDMR)
Received: Dodge Journey

Upgrade requested at desk after asked if happy with Polo TSI . Dodge offered instead and accepted.

Pleasant ride and powerful, relaxed engine (albeit thirsty of course).

jlisi984 Jan 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Pick-up: PBI
Drop-off: GNV
Booked: Premium (Taurus LTD or similar)
Assigned: Lincoln MKX (2016), luxury category
Duration: 8 days
Driven: 1000 mi

Awesome upgrade and cool car. I like my Europeans and normally would rent with Sixt, since I have Diamond there, but of course no drop-off station in Gainesville. Enjoyed the MKX, it was fully decked out, except adaptive cruise control. Car was assigned before arrival and was waiting in Preferred spot.