FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   2016-2017: List Your Upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1736394-2016-2017-list-your-upgrades.html)

kxc262 Dec 6, 2017 11:41 am

Last two bookings at BOS

Booked: F
Assigned: 300 RWD

Booked: F
Assigned: Ford Flex AWD

m907 Dec 12, 2017 1:12 am

I'm Preferred Plus through status match and I've never tried getting an upgrade through the app. How soon prior to the pickup time can I see the upgrades?

das_ubersoldat Dec 12, 2017 3:09 am

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 29163689)
I'm Preferred Plus through status match and I've never tried getting an upgrade through the app. How soon prior to the pickup time can I see the upgrades?

That is possible? I usually see my car in the parking lot and then I ask for a better one...

m907 Dec 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by das_ubersoldat (Post 29163871)
That is possible? I usually see my car in the parking lot and then I ask for a better one...

According to posts in this thread it is.

kxc262 Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 29168194)
According to posts in this thread it is.

In my experience, you can only see it once an agent assigns you a car. Location dependent too. Sometimes, I get assigned a car 2 hours before I land and start checking the app for upgrades.

kilowatt Dec 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Booked: Intermediate (C)
Assigned: Hyundai Santa Fe
Received: Volkswagen Tiguan (IFAR)

Vinotraveller Dec 18, 2017 6:25 am

Another awful experience at TLS. The agent tried to claim that a VW Passat was in the same class as Mercedes C Class & BMW 3 Series. When I reminded this particular agent that a similar stunt by her with me only 12 months ago had ended up with a personal apology from the president of Avis France and a free rental, she then changed her tune and said they had run out of cars bigger than a VW Passat and had nothing else. At this point one of her colleagues intervened and assigned me the Alfa Romeo Stelvio!

It is very sad that this location is so bad. They do seem to have a shortage of premium vehicles. I suspect when I return in early February I'll use Sixt instead as I am fed up with having to start my visits to TLS with a fight!

Booked: Large - Mercedes C Class or equivalent
Assigned: Volkwagen Passat
Received: Alfa Romeo Stelvio

ng1265 Dec 19, 2017 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller (Post 29187598)
Another awful experience at TLS. The agent tried to claim that a VW Passat was in the same class as Mercedes C Class & BMW 3 Series. When I reminded this particular agent that a similar stunt by her with me only 12 months ago had ended up with a personal apology from the president of Avis France and a free rental, she then changed her tune and said they had run out of cars bigger than a VW Passat and had nothing else. At this point one of her colleagues intervened and assigned me the Alfa Romeo Stelvio!

It is very sad that this location is so bad. They do seem to have a shortage of premium vehicles. I suspect when I return in early February I'll use Sixt instead as I am fed up with having to start my visits to TLS with a fight!

Booked: Large - Mercedes C Class or equivalent
Assigned: Volkwagen Passat
Received: Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Weird, last time I rented in TLS I received my upgrade without issues, and saw a lot of C-classes on the lot.

Would you mind sharing what happened on your previous rental?

Vinotraveller Dec 19, 2017 4:39 am

Originally Posted by ng1265 (Post 29191610)
Weird, last time I rented in TLS I received my upgrade without issues, and saw a lot of C-classes on the lot.

Would you mind sharing what happened on your previous rental?

No problem. In November 2016 I had booked a large car class and was allocated a Citreon DS5 which I was told was in the same class as 3 series and C-Class (I think for a time that was true even though they are quite a small car).

There were three C Class on the lot and I was told by this particular female agent that I could not have them as they were the "manager's cars" - which I did not believe. I was given no option at all and had to take the high mileage and dirty DS5 which subsequently broke down. My main gripe was the appallingly unhelpful attitude of the agent.

After my complaint following that I got a free rental and formal apology as previously detailed, and also the next two times I rented from TLS everything was fine (in early 2017) although each time the lot was bereft of decent cars apart from mine. This was my first return since then, but I genuinely wonder whether this particular agent has a dislike of people and it is more her that is the issue, particularly given the way her colleague intervened when she heard me mentioning I was in President's Club and a much better car was found. I would have to say though again that the lot was just full of smaller cars. In comparison the Sixt lot always seems to have a big selection of luxury vehicles.

I am still trying to decide what to do in February. I may contact Avis before booking to discuss with them. I am generally a big fan of Avis and moved to them from Sixt a couple of years ago as Avis have far more locations around the world. In all other locations I seem to always at least get what I booked, but more often than not something even nicer.

ng1265 Dec 19, 2017 10:03 am

Wow.
DS5s have changed categories a bit, in 2013 when I got one they were in the D class (current example is Talisman). in 2016 when they introduced the new model they advertised it as select series, then F class (so indeed in the same category as the C class).
TLS can vary depending on whether there are a lot of execs/management meetings at Airbus that day :-) (well, at least that was the excuse at the counter for not giving me the best car in the lot, but couldn't complain as technically I had had a double upgrade already)

mmoser2 Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

Booked: Full Size Car
Assigned: Nothing
Received: 2017 Toyota Camry SE. Nothing special, 19k miles. App had 4 upgrades to Prem. available but all were 40k+ mile impalas. I asked the Preferred desk what they had, they gave me the choice of a Mazda 6 and the camry. Tried the Mazda, only to find out the battery was dead, so they swapped me to the Camry. Wouldn't budge on any upgrades at all at the desk.

This was during the power debacle in ATL, and i had just landed in from GRU at 5:30 am, so it was before the busy rush, and the lot was full of cars.

demue Jan 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Late one from Oct 2017 (12 day rental)

Booked: Group I (I think), has Audi A3 Sportback in it (Automatic)
Assigned: Forgot the Group, but some Renault Megane Minivan thingy
Received: Volvo V60 (Diesel, Automatic)

They used to have lots of Audi A3 Sportback, but this time none available. Not that I needed a car with an automatic gearbox, but it usually makes for more solid (better / higher category) upgrades im Europe. The minivan I hadn't counted on though, but politely declined as too big for some of the tight Tuscan roads we would have to navigate. Was then offered the Volvo V60 instead which was a bit more compact and exactly what I had in mind if no A3 was given. Solid ride equipped with build in navigation system. Not a sporty one though, but no issue there.

FBWFTW Jan 31, 2018 8:11 am

Status
Preferred Plus: (Thru B6 Plus card)
Booked: Standard SUV
Assigned: Chevy Traverse
Picked Thru App and received 2018 Chevy Tahoe

NB-There were a few other options to upgrade thru the app for no charge. I had actually booked a Full Size (Ford Fusion) thru the B6 portal for triple points etc at one price and I had played around with the app the day before we left and used the same JetBlue coupon codes to get the standard SUV at a price $25 cheaper all in! Moral of the story is keep looking for price drops and use the app!

cbro Feb 8, 2018 1:58 pm

Booked: Full
Assigned: Ford Taurus Limited
Received: Nissan Maxima (was offered the Maxima and Passat though the app)

IAHtraveler Feb 8, 2018 4:38 pm

MODERATOR'S COMMENT: Please use the thread for 2018 instead of this expired thread. Thank you and enjoy flyertalking.