FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   2016-2017: List Your Upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1736394-2016-2017-list-your-upgrades.html)

mmoser2 Sep 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 28839993)
Both the 4Runner and matching Lexus (GX450?) are pathetic. I've had the 4Runner a few times and the Lexus once in the past couple years. I'd take an Accent or Kia Rio before I took either of those again. They're so clumsy to drive, pathetic fuel economy and feel so old inside. If I'm gonna deal w that poor interior and driving, I'll get a small car and save the gas unless I need a hitch/roof rack.

And the Lexus has the swinging tail gate, not the lift gate. And since it was designed in Japan, it hinges on the passenger side. Might not seem like an issue, but if you parallel park on a semi-busy road, you have to load your stuff through the lane of traffic and into the vehicle instead of from the sidewalk. I get that vehicles are global designs these days (heck, I've supplied chemicals to the automotive industry for nearly a decade, so I do get it) but move your hinge to the other side for left-drive countries!

Completely agreed. This was the first 4Runner I've gotten through Avis, and really I havent seen many on lots when renting elsewhere. I tried to talk my way out of it but they just didn't have much inventory at the time, and nothing smaller than it.

Vinotraveller Oct 2, 2017 9:38 am

Booked: Fiat Spider Cabrio
Assigned: VW Beetle Cabrio

Was initially a bit disappointed until I drove the car, it was a fun drive

Booked: Alfa Romeo (Large Class)
Assigned: Mercedes E200 Automatic

Lovely upgrade and nice staff

Booked:Fiat Spider Cabrio
Assigned: VW Beetle Cabrio
Received: Mercedes C220 Cabrio Automatic

Was disappointed to yet again not get the Fiat sports car and instead be assigned a Beetle. Agent claimed they had no other Cabrios. When I got to the lot a Mercedes C220 cabrio was parked beside it! Spoke to the staff on the lot who came back to the agent with me. She then tried to charge me extra for the Merc. I reminded her of my status and she quickly back tracked and gave me the Merc which was a lovely drive although just a basic spec.

In all locations I never once saw the Fiat Spider available, I do feel that if people are booking a sportscar Avis should not be subbing it with Beetles!

tgh Oct 2, 2017 3:25 pm

A lucky break :
Coming from au , and bothered about the rental lottery for a 2 week drive, I joined preferred and upgraded to an elite suv in the hope that I would get an ok ride.

I have a black 2017 Ford explorer xlt with sirius, sunroof, 13000miles AND (drum roll)..NAV!!
BINGO !!!!

jjbri Oct 4, 2017 7:25 am

Booked: Peugeot 308 (Compact Automatic)
Assigned: Mercedes E-Class (Luxury Automatic)
Multi-level upgrade made our South of France getaway even more enjoyable!

noah Oct 5, 2017 7:10 pm

SJC
President's Club
Booked: Premium
Assigned: Luxury - Buick Lacrosse
Switched on the app to a Lincoln MKT-- a bit of a beast but a decent ride and loved the giant glass roof.

ocgator Oct 6, 2017 4:08 am

Experiences at SNA

Longtime lurker, thought I would give some insight. First four rentals were as a preferred member.

Booked: Ford Mustang
Assigned: BMW 328I

Decided to go to Vegas at 8pm on a Saturday. Booked a mustang for pickup at 10:00pm, was hooked up with a BMW 328i instead. I was trying to make a Dillon Francis show that went from 1am to 3am. Made it to Vegas in 3 hours flat from Orange County. ~270 miles. Caught his whole set, incredible. Even averaged over 25mpg.

Assigned: Camaro SS

Holy crap this was one of the most fun and stupid fast cars I've ever driven - hands down. Mind boggling fast.

Booked: Chevy Tahoe
Assigned: Chevy Suburban with 7 miles on it, wifi, the works. It still had plastic on the taillights and other parts of the car it was so new. Was perfect, me and five buddies were driving from Orange County to Big Bear after a winter snow storm to hit up Snow Summit. Love Avis at SNA because they almost always take care of my request for 4wd vehicles (newer, with M+S tires) so I don't need to put on chains at the checkpoints for R2 Conditions. Although I own a set of chains designed for tahoes/suburbans/big suvs, I prefer to not put them on but you still should carry them. I almost felt bad taking this brand new suv skiing because we were obviously going to track snow and mud in this brand new suv but it worked out.

Booked: Standard SUV
Assigned: 4wd Ford Explorer with 7 seats (was needed for another vegas trip)

As an Avis Preferred Plus Member I've received:

Booked: Nissan Murano/Intermediate SUV
Assigned: 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Toyota 4Runner 4wd. This has happened to me on 5-10 occasions.

I usually prefer the 4runner (I know this board doesn't really care for the 4runner, but it is exactly what I need whenever I rent an SUV)
Been to Yosemite twice this summer and Joshua Tree twice. The ability to pack 5 people in a 4wd suv with the ability to put our camping gear on the roof rack (the 4runner is one of the few suvs that has a standard roof rack so I can use my tie downs) which frees up so much room. Also, hands down, the 4runner is one of the best vehicles to take off road.

Next week I have a Chevy Tahoe reserved for the weekend because I need to carry 7 people down to the border before we walk across to TJ, and catch a cab to our Airbnb in Rosarito. Hoping for a Suburban, will report back.

gaperskiier Oct 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ocgator (Post 28899791)
Longtime lurker, thought I would give some insight. First four rentals were as a preferred member.

Assigned: BMW 328I

Decided to go to Vegas at 8pm on a Saturday. Booked a mustang for pickup at 10:00pm, was hooked up with a BMW 328i instead. I was trying to make a Dillon Francis show that went from 1am to 3am. Made it to Vegas in 3 hours flat from Orange County. ~270 miles. Caught his whole set, incredible. Even averaged over 25mpg.

Assigned: Camaro SS

Holy crap this was one of the most fun and stupid fast cars I've ever driven - hands down. Mind boggling fast.

Booked: Chevy Tahoe
Assigned: Chevy Suburban with 7 miles on it, wifi, the works. It still had plastic on the taillights and other parts of the car it was so new. Was perfect, me and five buddies were driving from Orange County to Big Bear after a winter snow storm to hit up Snow Summit. Love Avis at SNA because they almost always take care of my request for 4wd vehicles (newer, with M+S tires) so I don't need to put on chains at the checkpoints for R2 Conditions. Although I own a set of chains designed for tahoes/suburbans/big suvs, I prefer to not put them on but you still should carry them. I almost felt bad taking this brand new suv skiing because we were obviously going to track snow and mud in this brand new suv but it worked out.

Booked: Standard SUV
Assigned: 4wd Ford Explorer with 7 seats (was needed for another vegas trip)

As an Avis Preferred Plus Member I've received:

Booked: Nissan Murano/Intermediate SUV
Assigned: 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Toyota 4Runner 4wd. This has happened to me on 5-10 occasions.

I usually prefer the 4runner (I know this board doesn't really care for the 4runner, but it is exactly what I need whenever I rent an SUV)
Been to Yosemite twice this summer and Joshua Tree twice. The ability to pack 5 people in a 4wd suv with the ability to put our camping gear on the roof rack (the 4runner is one of the few suvs that has a standard roof rack so I can use my tie downs) which frees up so much room. Also, hands down, the 4runner is one of the best vehicles to take off road.

Next week I have a Chevy Tahoe reserved for the weekend because I need to carry 7 people down to the border before we walk across to TJ, and catch a cab to our Airbnb in Rosarito. Hoping for a Suburban, will report back.

Ha, sounds like we both live on the same wavelengths, clubbing, skiing/snowboarding and TJ/Baja life!

So you don't want to drive the Tahoe down to TJ? I've done it many many times but I've gotten insurance through a third party instead of the crazy $ Avis asks for.

seawolf Oct 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Ford Explorer with 21K. Other high mileage vehicles in the app.

yorkacuk Oct 11, 2017 2:56 pm

XC60 with Premium Booking

4 days

38 dollars + taxes = 55 dollars

one way too florida

great experience

lady was nice i went the counter and she said “sir you are preferred”

30k miles
best seats ive ever sat in in a car

https://imgur.com/a/8oX3d

grab handles on doors creak because hard plastic but nice wood inlays and navigation and BLIS

fuel economy is 23.
leather has held up well it looks new w contrast stitching
sunroof is huge but it opens

start stop system is weird, i turn it off. it’s quiet overall, temperature displays in celsius so i have no idea if it’s hot or cold. Sound system is amazing. Originally felt like driving a tractor due to the heavy steering but you can adjust that to more lighter low effort steering. Big wheels are grippy but noisy over broken pavement. It almost feels like it skips. cargo area is nicely lined, including the side walls so none of your stuff gets scratched. There’s seat heaters and AWD which is a costly option so it’s not a base car. Child seats are built in.

rear arm seats have their own vents
nav again is very nice

im into cars and this model debuted like 10 years ago with modest updates and it’s still fresh (minus some squeaking over hard bumps)

I look like I have good credit driving this car.

BTW they had a corvette next to this in the garage and I almost died.

IAHtraveler Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by yorkacuk (Post 28921352)
best seats ive ever sat in in a car
celsius so i have no idea if it’s hot or cold
im into cars and this model debuted like 10 years ago with modest updates and it’s still fresh (minus some squeaking over hard bumps)

Hah, I couldn't disagree more. I can't stand the Volvo seats (except the XC90) and the XC60 seems SO out-dated to me. Compared to other premiums at Avis, it just feels stale and beyond ready for that the upgrade they just did. I'm excited to get into one of the 2018s.

And you should be able to change the C->F to understand the temps. All cars that have a number for the temp (that I've been in) are able to be changed in a menu somewhere.

yorkacuk Oct 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 28921528)
Hah, I couldn't disagree more. I can't stand the Volvo seats (except the XC90) and the XC60 seems SO out-dated to me. Compared to other premiums at Avis, it just feels stale and beyond ready for that the upgrade they just did. I'm excited to get into one of the 2018s.
And you should be able to change the C->F to understand the temps. All cars that have a number for the temp (that I've been in) are able to be changed in a menu somewhere.

ok took it for a very very long drive. i can’t wait for the new volvo’s either. the other premiums i haven’t tried except the lacrosse which was very good. thank you for the temperature tip!

ok after the long drive the backup camera is a low resolution and the lift gate isn’t powered (this is actually a big deal if ur short or lose ur balance easy bc u have to lean in to it) and it has like one usb port. but the center console lid glides open so... lubriciously like drawer of a pegasi desk. lexus GX has a spring and the lid slams shut.

and i was wrong about the cargo lining it’s mat of fiber but still better than others. the biggest sign it’s outdated is the T5 engine. it’s very thirsty.

still i think it looks really nice and formal. the sunroof does open and wind it stays quiet until about 40 mph. and the shade actually keeps sun out.. really i’m just nitpicking but it’s what reviews do right?

pivot_chart Oct 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Assigned: Base 2017 Chrysler 300 with 18k miles
Received: Preferred desk refused to offer up anything different so cancelled reservation, booked a cheaper rate with National and drove off in a Q7 that was on the Executive aisle.

IAHtraveler Oct 12, 2017 6:40 am

Originally Posted by pivot_chart (Post 28922605)
Assigned: Base 2017 Chrysler 300 with 18k miles
Received: Preferred desk refused to offer up anything different so cancelled reservation, booked a cheaper rate with National and drove off in a Q7 that was on the Executive aisle.

That's disappointing on a premium reservation. What else did they have on the lot? In that case, I'd have asked them to drop the rate from premium to intermediate, or leave, as you did.

seawolf Oct 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Booked: Full-Size
Assigned: Jeep Cherokee

The app did give me an opportunity to exchange for a 15 person Ford Transit.

pivot_chart Oct 12, 2017 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 28923504)
That's disappointing on a premium reservation. What else did they have on the lot? In that case, I'd have asked them to drop the rate from premium to intermediate, or leave, as you did.

Things I noted when walking out and back from the 300 that weren't below a premium: '17 XC60, X5, X3, couple of XTS, couple of MKZs, Camaro SS, Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Lacrosse.