Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 4aks
Links to new program info:
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points
avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf
avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf

Calendar year 2015 rentals count towards status (12 rentals = preferred plus; 25 rentals = PC )

Rentals begun July 1st earn points

Redemption of points is unknown and dynamic
Data points:
July 2015 - 3 day Minivan rental, adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 316 points. Adding Sirius (6.99/day) was 200 points
July 2015 - 4 day full size mid week - adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 332 points
July 2015 - 1 day (full size?) in Seattle - 2400 points for one free day
Aug 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points (vs $18 base cost)
Sep 2015 - Weekday, Boston Back Bay, 1d6h rental - 4600 points (vs. $85 full size)
Oct 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points / jumped to 1330 points all month, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend day ORD - 950 points
Nov 2015 - Weekend day IAH - 1800 points (1 day)
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 950 pts, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 1330 pts, many vehicle types (points devalued the closer to the rental period)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Avis First Program

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mzrn
I just got an email this morning for a coupon expiring 8/31 as well.
Got a coupon as well valid 2/27-8/31, interestingly, I just tried to apply it to a full size rental over the web and it said it wasn't an eligible rental, but they were able to apply it over the phone. Never had that happen before.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesun
Got a coupon as well valid 2/27-8/31, interestingly, I just tried to apply it to a full size rental over the web and it said it wasn't an eligible rental, but they were able to apply it over the phone. Never had that happen before.
The T&C of the coupon exclude full size cars. I have had experiences where it works on the phone but the rental location cannot process it (e.g. applying a $50 coupon on a $45 before tax rental) so hopefully you don't run into that.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
If your rental is earning points in any other program or does not meet the minimum rental period it will not count towards Avis First free weekend rentals

TW
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
New to Avis as my company just shifted from Hertz. I was given President status or whatever it's called but cannot log into the Avis First site - says that I do not qualify.

Will I need to complete the minimum qualifying rentals before access is granted? I guess I had thought that since President's is technically a higher level (from what i've been told by our travel desk) than First, I'd be able to log in.

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

TIA
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Any updates on the new program? I haven't heard anything.

Avis is a pretty large company. Should be able to afford a few professional PR/CS personnel. I'd assume they have put out a form letter at some point with an update.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by megalab
Was poking around in my Avis First account looking for any deals for a rental I needed this weekend. Found a free weekend coupon expiring 2/28/15! I have no idea where it came from, except maybe from a rental I made a month ago. Regardless, it was perfect timing; applied it a noon, picked up the car at 1 pm.
I recently completed my fourth rental of 2015 and went looking for my free weekend coupon for a trip at the end of April. Hasn't shown up yet but the Avis First CS rep said "it was being processed, but could take 2-3 weeks." Let's hope it comes through.

I just noticed on the coupon I talk about in the quote that the issue date was Aug 27, 2014, a couple of weeks after I qualified for Avis First. I had applied it to a rental in Nov 2014 that I later cancelled, but it never reappeared in my account. I wanted to use it at the end of Jan 2015 but the Avis First CS said it had expired and no new ones would be issued. Thus, very surprising that it reappeared a month later with a 2/28/15 expiration date.

One more note: While making a reservation on the website today I was shown to be Avis First. When checking something on the mobile app, I noticed my status banner was chanced to Avis Preferred Plus. I recall Avis First in that banner just a few days ago. Looks like something is moving along.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here we go again. Again, Avis changed the T&C without telling us. On https://www.ccrgservices.com/web/AvisFirst/faq.jsp , it says:
Weekend Rental Reward coupons issued prior to April 13, 2015 are valid for six (6) months from date of issuance. Weekend Rental Reward coupons issued after April 13, 2015 will expire on September 30, 2015.
So, I guess basically the program will be discontinued sometime between now and 9/30.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
I guess that's why they waited until April 13th to issue mine. I applied it to a rental at the end of the month so not a big deal, but yet another example of how the increasingly poor service I've experienced since qualifying for Avis First is making me less loyal to Avis.

FYI: My weekend coupon is good up to full-size cars (E).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Just got this in an e-mail from Avis:

Coming soon—you'll have the opportunity to start earning rewards with the enhanced Avis Preferred program. All newly issued reward coupons will have an expiration date of 9/30/15.

Stay tuned for more information about your Avis First membership and the new Avis Preferred program.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just got this in an e-mail from Avis:
Other than LoganFlyer, has anyone received anything from Avis on the change? Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by username
Other than LoganFlyer, has anyone received anything from Avis on the change? Thanks.
I got the same email
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by vatali
I got the same email
Same here.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Avis app showed Avis First earlier this week but just checked today and it shows "Preferred Plus".... hmmmm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold (as of June 2015)
The App shows Preferred Plus for me as well. Some parts of the website still say I'm Avis First though.

I received a weekend coupon this week (expiring 9/30 as others have noted), and in the body of the email, it has the following text that wasn't in the one I got in February:

"Coming soon—you'll have the opportunity to start earning rewards with the enhanced Avis Preferred program. All newly issued Weekend Reward coupons will have an expiration date of 9/30/15.

Stay tuned for more information about your Avis First membership and the new Avis Preferred program."

Personally, I love (and will miss) the weekend coupons -- I use them for those cases when I need to rent somewhere that has obscene weekend rates (PHX sometimes, for example).
Old May 7, 2015, 9:38 am

Me too

Received weekend rental coupon this morning expiring 9/30 in addition to the coupon I received 4/12 after I qualified for First. Pretty interested to see what changes are coming as of 9/30 but a little bummed that the heavy usage this year won't go toward the new program.

If I'm calculating right I think I'll have a total of 122 rental days through end of June. And the net result is First status and two or three weekend coupons. Hm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.