Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Preferred Select & Go Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:16 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Concerned At First But...

I don't really feel for Chairman's Members this is going to affect anything. You'll arrive at the airport, and find your vehicle waiting for you parked out front as they usually are.

I guess if you don't like your car*, you just walk back to the Preferred Booth and they will give you whatever you like. Never had an issue selecting a car BTW...

*most recently, its been either BMW or and Infiniti.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: VAG
The real genius of this (apart from stealing customers back from National) is in the "Upgrade" option. When I travel for leisure I'm usually theoretically willing to pay a bit extra to get something a bit cooler, but I rarely do.

I won't book a "Cool Car" because they charge crazy-high amounts for them -- they have to because they're giving up a bunch of flexibility in their inventory by guaranteeing me a particular model. On the other hand I rarely book something as nebulous as "premium" or "luxury" because knowing my luck I'll inevitably just wind up with a Town Car instead of a BMW.

But if they start really pushing the idea of painless on-the-spot paid upgrades to defined cars I think they can sell a bunch of 'em while still maintaining flexibility in their fleet. Got some spare Infinitis? Great, stick 'em on the upgrade lot with "$20 a day extra" in the windscreen. They'll be raking in the extra bucks in no time.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
The real genius of this (apart from stealing customers back from National) is in the "Upgrade" option. When I travel for leisure I'm usually theoretically willing to pay a bit extra to get something a bit cooler, but I rarely do.

I won't book a "Cool Car" because they charge crazy-high amounts for them -- they have to because they're giving up a bunch of flexibility in their inventory by guaranteeing me a particular model. On the other hand I rarely book something as nebulous as "premium" or "luxury" because knowing my luck I'll inevitably just wind up with a Town Car instead of a BMW.

But if they start really pushing the idea of painless on-the-spot paid upgrades to defined cars I think they can sell a bunch of 'em while still maintaining flexibility in their fleet. Got some spare Infinitis? Great, stick 'em on the upgrade lot with "$20 a day extra" in the windscreen. They'll be raking in the extra bucks in no time.
Indeed but possibly to the detriment of Chairmans and President's Club members. Am used to being able to walk back to the counter and negotiate an upgrade, often to a specialty, in instances where the first car wasn't a double upgrade. Worry it will now be more 'by the book' and they will be less likely to pre-assign PC and Chairmans something above Luxury class.

In other words, playing the 'tens of dollars' game we see at United.

This becomes less of an issue once the Town Cars are out of the fleet and things like an Inifiniti are a standard Luxury car.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Indeed but possibly to the detriment of Chairmans and President's Club members. Am used to being able to walk back to the counter and negotiate an upgrade, often to a specialty, in instances where the first car wasn't a double upgrade. Worry it will now be more 'by the book' and they will be less likely to pre-assign PC and Chairmans something above Luxury class.

In other words, playing the 'tens of dollars' game we see at United.

This becomes less of an issue once the Town Cars are out of the fleet and things like an Inifiniti are a standard Luxury car.
I totally agree.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
I'm Avis First and never got the advance email about this. However, upon arrival at SEA this morning I got an email letting me know my car was ready with the exact type and spot:

Welcome to SEATTLE APO WA.

Your FORD FUSION SEL V6 is ready. Go to parking space P23 in our Avis Preferred area. (License plate # (WA) UPDATE; Rental Agreement # XXXXXXXXX)

Your rental document will be ready at the exit gate (because we're paperless now). Just show the agent your driver's license.

And if the FORD is not exactly what you wanted, you can exchange or upgrade from our Select & Go area.
The select and go plus the upgrade rows were on the way to my car and they had a pretty standard collection in the select & go plus some decent upgrades on the other side. Still not sure how the upgrades work with Avis First, assuming if I get an upgrade it'll be given to me as my initial assignment but I couldn't just choose something from the upgrade row and not be charged.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
I'm Avis First and never got the advance email about this. However, upon arrival at SEA this morning I got an email letting me know my car was ready with the exact type and spot:

The select and go plus the upgrade rows were on the way to my car and they had a pretty standard collection in the select & go plus some decent upgrades on the other side. Still not sure how the upgrades work with Avis First, assuming if I get an upgrade it'll be given to me as my initial assignment but I couldn't just choose something from the upgrade row and not be charged.
What class of car did you book to get the Ford Fusion? Also what standard collections are we talking about at the select & go area? A bunch of Chevy Malibus and Impalas I guess?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:33 am

This is sort of how the Avis at BDL already operates (minus the new choose an upgraded car on a whim). You take the shuttle to the facility and the driver takes the names of the preferred members. By the time he gets to the lot basically everyone has an assigned spot/car (Form and keys in the car). No human interaction. If you want a different car you have to go inside (Annoying for me because rarely do I receive much of an upgrade as a President's club member). I did notice yesterday that they had all of the "Cool cars" lined up next to each other. I forget if they always do that.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Any thoughts on this article? I'm PC and wondering how this will effect me...

http://milecards.com/4479/does-new-a...club-upgrades/
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by nova08
This is sort of how the Avis at BDL already operates (minus the new choose an upgraded car on a whim). You take the shuttle to the facility and the driver takes the names of the preferred members. By the time he gets to the lot basically everyone has an assigned spot/car (Form and keys in the car). No human interaction. If you want a different car you have to go inside (Annoying for me because rarely do I receive much of an upgrade as a President's club member). I did notice yesterday that they had all of the "Cool cars" lined up next to each other. I forget if they always do that.
You pretty much described the standard experience at any Avis station not terminal-adjacent or inside a consolidated rental car facility.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Critic
You pretty much described the standard experience at any Avis station not terminal-adjacent or inside a consolidated rental car facility.
Yea the more I read the thread I figured out that it sounds like many stations operate in this manner. This is my first experience renting from a facility that does not require human interaction.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by hangingchad
Any thoughts on this article? I'm PC and wondering how this will effect me...

http://milecards.com/4479/does-new-a...club-upgrades/
It certainly echoes some of the concerns. We'll see how it is in practice.

Was in SFO this week, but didn't see Select n Go in action. In fact the entire lot was dry because of the US Open. Half the names on the Preferred board had no car assigned.

They offered a minivan, I balked, then a Camry. Being late at night I went out to see for myself. There was a BMW X3 parked across from it, and didn't see it assigned to anyone on the board. So negotiated an exchange to that.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Active at MCO yet?

I'll be renting at MCO on Thursday (6/21) and am wondering if the Select & Go Service is active there yet.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by jalves
I'll be renting at MCO on Thursday (6/21) and am wondering if the Select & Go Service is active there yet.
According to Avis.com, MCO doesn't go online for Select & Go until next month.

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...o-US_en-033067
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
This new program helped me out in Seattle yesterday.

Arrived at assigned spot to find a Crown Vic in my spot (yuck). Walked over to the exchange section and grabbed a Ford Edge instead.

I had to laugh, however, at the "upgrades" -- $45 extra/day for a Challenger? Many of the upgrades are commonly found at National's executive section for no extra charge.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Critic
According to Avis.com, MCO doesn't go online for Select & Go until next month.

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...o-US_en-033067
Thanks. I guess I misread (or mis-remembered) the original announcement and thought it was this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.