Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis changing rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Avis changing rules

Hi i made a luxury reservation under the USAA AWD at KTUS. When i went to go pick up the car the woman at the counter told me that she was going to upgrade me to the 3-series but due to age restrictions i was not able to get a signature series vehicle. She said i was welcome to speak to the manager. I spoke to the manager and she told me that there was nothing to do. I told her I've rented the 5-series before on my AWD and a 3-series from the same location and i received the vehicle. She told me that was the rule and there was nothing she could do. I showed her my rental history of where that same location gave me signature series vehicles and she didn't budge. She said i couldn't downgrade to mustang and i could only get the ATS. Well when i got my keys i realized that they gave me the XTS and i wasn't too happy about her lying to me. I took the vehicle and left

* I am 24 years old *

1) Is there anything wrong about the way they handled the rental and is there anything i can do?

2) isn't the XTS a signature series vehicle under AVIS?

3) Why do rules change at the same location depending on the day?

I have a feeling that because the location is run as Avis and Budget i get the deplorable service that budget is known to have at that location.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:41 pm

Under 25 cannot rent anything above Premium according to Avis' terms of use. HOWEVER, you actually can, you just have to get a manager override. In my experience if it's a situation where the only car available is a higher than premium car and I've reserved a premium car, I've had no issue at all. It really just depends on the manager as well as the fleet situation wherever you are. I'm guessing that your previous experiences you may have either been dealing with a manager and not known it or that's just what was assigned to you because of your reserved class shortage.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mittencuh
Under 25 cannot rent anything above Premium according to Avis' terms of use. HOWEVER, you actually can, you just have to get a manager override. In my experience if it's a situation where the only car available is a higher than premium car and I've reserved a premium car, I've had no issue at all. It really just depends on the manager as well as the fleet situation wherever you are. I'm guessing that your previous experiences you may have either been dealing with a manager and not known it or that's just what was assigned to you because of your reserved class shortage.
Well i would understand if that was the rules she was following. She said i was allowed to rent anything except for a signature series vehicle. So I already had a luxury reservation and i received a Signature XTS. It seems like she didn't want me to downgrade and wouldn't assign me another vehicle.

I told her i didn't want the XTS. she had a CTS and she said i could not have that vehicle because of my age. but she was willing to give a signature XTS??

I guess if i understand correctly i don't have any basis to complain since "technically" she did me a favor.

I was looking for some clarification as to why i am able to get a BMW at SAN and LAX (reserve online and receive vehicle) but the rule states I am not allowed to have the vehicle? When i am not logged in with my USAA, BMW vehicles don't appear but they are available to rent when i sign in and i always receive them at other locations.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:34 pm

All I know is that the system simply won't let you check out a BMW without manager authorization even though it allows you to make the reservation and all. At SAN and LAX they probably just let you do it. This employee wanted to follow the rules that's all. Also the XTS is not technically a signature car anymore. It's a luxury class car now, though a lot are still tagged as signature.

Edit: It is still a "cool car." So if she wouldn't let you have a Mustang she shouldn't have let you have a XTS. I don't really know what she did.

Last edited by mittencuh; Jun 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.