Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis vs Hertz for International Locations (AMEX Plat holder)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

Hi All

I have National Executive and I love it.

However, when traveling internationally, National is really short on locations outside US.

I currently have Avis First for having the United Club card, and using Avis as the backup of National. However, this status really means nothing IME.

If I look at AMEX Plat benefits, it says:

For Avis:

*You won't have to tell us your rental preferences every time you reserve -- we'll already have them on file.
*When you arrive at Avis, you can skip the lines and the paperwork and go straight to your car at over 1,400 locations worldwide.
*Our courtesy bus will drop you off by one of our newest cars, or you'll find it in a convenient parking space.
*When you enroll in Preferred Service online, you will also enjoy automatic enrollment in My Avis -- the personal service dedicated to enhancing your online Avis experience.
*Save up to 25% when using code AWDA756900 and an upgrade when using code UUNA007.
*Plus, receive a Free Weekend Rental Certificate when you use code AWD# A756900 and rent twice within a 6 month period of time.

For Hertz:

*Fee-waived membership in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® - a $60/year value
*Expedited service at over 40 of the world's largest airports (no stopping at the counters)
*Up to 20% off best contract rate at participating Hertz locations worldwide2
*Up to 25% off best contract rate on Hertz Prestige Collection weekend rentals3
*A 4-hour no-charge grace period, before an extra day charge is applied4
*10% bonus on Hertz Gold Plus Rewards®
*A One-car-class upgrade5
*Ability to earn airline miles or free car rental days

I understand those upgrades can be a hit-or-miss, so my focus point is on the overall customer experience between this two companies outside US. I wanna choose one as my international rental company, and the backup of National inside US.

By comparing the benefits I will receive, should I just continue using Avis for international rentals? Will I benefit by opening a Hertz account and always comparing between the two when reserving international rentals?

The 4-hour grace period from Hertz looks nice, doesn't it?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
From what I read (it's not 100% clear to me), if you can get both Avis First from United Club Card and Hertz Gold Plus Rewards from Amex Plat (is it President's Circle, or some other Hertz membership level?), then that's what I would do.

I have membership with all of the majors (Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty and Europcar), as I don't own a car. I also am a member of 3 car sharing schemes - lots of options. I rent enough to get mid level status with one each year, though only Hertz and Europcar (affiliate of National) have status in Australia. Avis, Budget and Thrifty do not.

Both Hertz and Avis have worthwhile benefits from what you've listed. Hertz with the 4 hour grace period (I thought Avis Chairman or similar also offered this in the US?) and the Avis discounts. Hertz PC previously offered guaranteed cars, but I think they may have withdrawn this benefit.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I have Avis First status through having a United Club card. I also have AMEX Plat benefits with both Hertz and Avis. That's all the status I have.

What I want to do is sticking to one of the two for international rentals. I can tolerate maybe $20/day difference in rate, if the more expensive one produces a better experience.

Do I have a clearly better choice? Or do I better off checking them both each time to get a better rate?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
For international locations it's hard to say if you're referring to Europe or APAC because they're different markets.

For example in Europe my Hertz PC and Avis First is recognized everywhere, but in APAC (like HK, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.), most of the locations are licensees and don't always recognize status. Hertz status is almost never recognized in APAC locations, but Avis First does occasionally get me free upgrades, etc. in some places; I rent from Singapore a lot and the counter guy is always like, "We saw you're a First member, we tried to give you the best car we could find."

Not sure how they'll respond to Chairman's, but we'll see. Long story short, I seem to get more recognition for my status abroad with Avis than with Hertz.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
For international locations it's hard to say if you're referring to Europe or APAC because they're different markets.

For example in Europe my Hertz PC and Avis First is recognized everywhere, but in APAC (like HK, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.), most of the locations are licensees and don't always recognize status. Hertz status is almost never recognized in APAC locations, but Avis First does occasionally get me free upgrades, etc. in some places; I rent from Singapore a lot and the counter guy is always like, "We saw you're a First member, we tried to give you the best car we could find."

Not sure how they'll respond to Chairman's, but we'll see. Long story short, I seem to get more recognition for my status abroad with Avis than with Hertz.
Thanks man. That's some really helpful information.

I would be renting in Europe and Singapore/Korea a lot in the future. Do you have the feeling that one of the rental company provides a better overall customer experience in Europe/Singapore/Korea than the other? Like car availability, staff attitude, whether they try to ding you for damages not done by you, etc...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Thanks man. That's some really helpful information.

I would be renting in Europe and Singapore/Korea a lot in the future. Do you have the feeling that one of the rental company provides a better overall customer experience in Europe/Singapore/Korea than the other? Like car availability, staff attitude, whether they try to ding you for damages not done by you, etc...
Either company is fairly strict with damage in Europe. Not familiar with Asia though. In Europe car upgrades seem pretty typical. IE, reserve a C-class and receive an E-class with nav. Maybe others can chime in on Asia.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mittencuh
Either company is fairly strict with damage in Europe. Not familiar with Asia though. In Europe car upgrades seem pretty typical. IE, reserve a C-class and receive an E-class with nav. Maybe others can chime in on Asia.
So if Avis and Hertz give you the same quote for the same thing in Europe, which would you pick?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:10 pm

So if Avis and Hertz give you the same quote for the same thing in Europe, which would you pick?
Avis. But I've not used Hertz so I really can't offer comparison.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Avis. But I've not used Hertz so I really can't offer comparison.
Do you use maybe your corporate AWDs or just regular AWDs with Avis?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:49 am

Do you use maybe your corporate AWDs or just regular AWDs with Avis?
My company has a corporate AWD. I do play around with other AWDs but pretty much 100% of the time my AWD is pretty close to being the lowest.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

My company has a corporate AWD. I do play around with other AWDs but pretty much 100% of the time my AWD is pretty close to being the lowest.
Is your corporate AWD yields much lower price than AMEX Plat AWD does? I've been using just the Plat AWD and Chase United Club Card AWD, so I never saw any price that is really much cheaper than what I get now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.