Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

How long for refund / any way to speed up refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before -- I searched a variety of terms on FT and on Google but couldn't turn anything up.

I bought a ticket on avianca.com 4/5 and cancelled it 4/6 (21 hours). The fare class was wrong, not mileage-earning, DH objected sighhhh, the agent couldn't correct it, so DH asked that I cancel and rebook. Route is JFK-BOG-BCN-BOG(stopover)-JFK. Per Avianca's site:
When you book and ticket a reservation through Avianca's U.S. ticketing locations, Avianca's U.S. telephone reservations line or Avianca's U.S. web site, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a full refund provided that you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and the reservation is made one week or more prior to the scheduled flight departure date.
Great!

Except... nothing has happened. I got an email confirmation -- "Your request of has been created" (request of... what, I hope cancellation). There is a confirmation number and an "order status" link that simply says my request was "RECEIVED."

I called and was on the phone with them for 45 minutes -- it took 7 agent transfers and me speaking broken Spanish on the fly -- still got it, phew! -- before I was told it will take 20-30 business days.

Is this legal? DOT says:
Refunds processed under the 24-hour reservation requirement must be processed within the timeframes mandated by Regulation Z of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, 12 CFR Part 1026 (formerly 12 CFR Part 226), and 14 CFR Part 374 for credit card purchases, and by Department enforcement precedent for purchases using other forms of payment. Those refund processing timeframes must also be disclosed in the carrier’s customer service plan. See 14 CFR 259.5(b)(5).
I tried pulling up all these regulations but I'm not seeing a clear timeframe. Does anyone know if they have to issue the refund in a particular amount of time?

I know I could contest it with Chase if need be, but I also know that could make this all much worse if Avianca shows that a valid ticket was purchased. I have no particular desire to irritate Avianca as I do need to re-buy this ticket but... 20-30 business days is insane.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adcer
Does anyone know if they have to issue the refund in a particular amount of time?
You requested a refund on April 6 and you're already freaking out? Overreact much?

My last AV refund processed in about a week. Even if it takes longer than that, you need to realize that when you book with a latin american carrier, you implicitly sign on to latin american business and cultural standards. These are not the same as US standards. It's one of the things that makes visiting latin america such a pleasure.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
You requested a refund on April 6 and you're already freaking out? Overreact much?

My last AV refund processed in about a week. Even if it takes longer than that, you need to realize that when you book with a latin american carrier, you implicitly sign on to latin american business and cultural standards. These are not the same as US standards. It's one of the things that makes visiting latin america such a pleasure.
Not sure exactly where you got "freaking out" and "overreacting"? I asked a simple question about whether this was the others' experience, whether it was legal, and whether I could do anything to speed it up. Moreover I'm not asking about a week, I'm asking about 4-6 weeks which is what I was told. If it's just a week, that's fine with me.

It's a problem for me to have a good chunk of my credit card tied up for no reason, especially when I need to rebook. Avianca said I could not rebook the same flights/passengers until the ticket is voided else the system would automatically void the new ticket (and create another refund situation). A fare for June isn't guaranteed to stick around within even days given that it's April, let alone 4-6 weeks. It's already gone up by $100/person.

Anyway -- I appreciate the data point (hopefully it'll be a week for me too) and slightly less the condescension No need for that part.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adcer
Not sure exactly where you got "freaking out" and "overreacting"?
Because you're talking about disputing the charge and asking about legal recourse just five days after you requested the refund. All this because the AV phone agents weren't able to assure you that the refund would be dealt with on your schedule. That is IMO an overreaction.

To answer your specific question, the DOT reg requires that a refund be initiated by the carrier within seven business days of the refund request. That is not the same thing as the refund actually processing. I personally wouldn't consider following up until at least ten to fourteen business days had passed. And I would cut AV extra slack compared to a US carrier.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
20-30 business days is insane. ?
then u chose the wrong carrier to begin with...
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
20-30 business days is insane. ?
then u chose the wrong carrier to begin with...
I suspect you're not used to latin american customer service. It took me over three months and at least ten e-mails to get a refund out of Copa for a cancelled flight.

Even United frequently has difficulty timely processing refunds. They got fined by DOT for it in 2013.

But I agree, for routing NYC-BCN, AV is the wrong airline
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:40 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's one of the things that makes visiting latin america such a pleasure.
It took me over three months and at least ten e-mails to get a refund out of Copa for a cancelled flight.
Colour me envious that you are able to get a kick out of this
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:30 am
Original Poster

But I agree, for routing NYC-BCN, AV is the wrong airline
What alternative would you suggest (keeping in mind the stopover in Bogota I mentioned)?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Just want to check if OP finally got refund as I was advised to do the same by AV to cancel within 24 hours and re-book for changing flight.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Just to provide an update for anyone who's looking at requesting refund. My refund was requested June 3rd and finally paid in July 8th, so 20-30 business days should be expected if anyone is looking at cancelling within 24 hours.

Personally I would recommend using Expedia in US if you come across sales and need to make a few bookings quickly then cancel the remaining within 24 hours, your credit card won't be tied up for over a month with large amount.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Last year I cancelled a business class flexible ticket, the refund appeared in the credit card balance one week after submitting the request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.