Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Chances of an International Upgrade for LM Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am looking to fly LAX-BOG rt in a few weeks on short notice and would like to fly in business. Since I recently received Lifemiles Diamond status, I was curious if my chances of an upgrade on a paid economy fare are high?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Everything depends on how much (over-)booked your flight is in economy class... And how AV will upgrade it's passengers if needed (highest booking class paid vs. highest LM status)...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Everything depends on how much (over-)booked your flight is in economy class... And how AV will upgrade it's passengers if needed (highest booking class paid vs. highest LM status)...
Thanks for the reply. I understand upgrades are based on availability as with almost all airlines, but I was curious if anyone has any experience with this specific route, especially LM Diamonds who should be the top of the upgrade list.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thanks for the reply. I understand upgrades are based on availability as with almost all airlines, but I was curious if anyone has any experience with this specific route, especially LM Diamonds who should be the top of the upgrade list.
Only U.S. airlines have anything resembling a policy of "if there's a free seat up front we'll upgrade an elite to it".

Everywhere else, you need to have an overbooked Economy cabin before operational upgrades will take place. In theory, status counts quite a bit, but there is no guarantee.

Expect to fly in Y and be thrilled if there is an overbooking scenario that works out for you. It's very difficult to generalise as to whether this route is commonly overbooked, but I somehow doubt it as I've found it quite easy to find award seats on it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Only U.S. airlines have anything resembling a policy of "if there's a free seat up front we'll upgrade an elite to it".

Everywhere else, you need to have an overbooked Economy cabin before operational upgrades will take place. In theory, status counts quite a bit, but there is no guarantee.

Expect to fly in Y and be thrilled if there is an overbooking scenario that works out for you. It's very difficult to generalise as to whether this route is commonly overbooked, but I somehow doubt it as I've found it quite easy to find award seats on it.

According to the lifemiles elite status page

"Complimentary space available upgrades (excluding codeshare flights, routes to and from Europe, Super Promo and Promo fares in domestic routes in Colombia, Promo fares in domestic routes in Peru and Super Promo in domestic routes in Central America) administrated via an automated process that begins assigning upgrades according to the times listed above. Applies 48 hours before the flight and is awarded according to the member’s Elite status."

Being that I'm a lifemiles diamond member, I don't anything that would exclude me from a space available upgrade from North America to Colombia.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Did you get upgraded?

I'm a gold LM and still haven't received any upgrades out of BOG... Do let us know if the upgrade worked.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gimmedub
I'm a gold LM and still haven't received any upgrades out of BOG... Do let us know if the upgrade worked.
I ended up booking my flight in paid business. I did speak to the Lifemiles elite line and the agent confirmed the same information as the website for what its worth.

Ill probably end up flying in Y later this year, will report back my experience with trying to get an upgrade. Lifemiles seems to be one quarky Elite program
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Your chances would have been close to zero, I'm afraid.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:29 pm

recent upgrade experience

Did LAX-SAL-BOG and was upgraded on LAX-SAL as LM Gold... SAL-BOG had two seats empty but wasn't upgraded. I think someone may have missed the connection as they claimed booked at the gate.

Will continue to report on upcoming flights - have a BOG-LAX in May.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gimmedub
Did LAX-SAL-BOG and was upgraded on LAX-SAL as LM Gold... SAL-BOG had two seats empty but wasn't upgraded. I think someone may have missed the connection as they claimed booked at the gate.

Will continue to report on upcoming flights - have a BOG-LAX in May.
Thanks so much for the reply, glad to know that complimentary upgrades do in fact exist

Look forward to hearing back on your experience with the direct BOG-LAX flight
Old May 3, 2017, 6:29 am

I have flown the BOG-LAX route in Biz a few times - not comp upgrade but on their seat sale they had going. Service greater than or on-par-> with NA Long Haul International... Avianca has now become my primary airline - mainly because AA dropped the ball last year one too many times and Avianca filled that void.

Am looking forward to some international upgrades in the coming months.

Thanks so much for the reply, glad to know that complimentary upgrades do in fact exist

Look forward to hearing back on your experience with the direct BOG-LAX flight
Old May 5, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by craigthemif

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your chances would have been close to zero, I'm afraid.
I like how people who don't even fly regularly with AV like to chime in with false information.

And yes, AV does complimentary upgrades for their elites. Just flew MEX-BOG as non-AV *G. The AV elites got upgraded and I did not.

Nothing to do with overbooking or operational upgrades. Elites get free upgrades.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

So I finally flew avianca, service exceeded my expectations. I did LAX-BOG connecting in SAL and FAs were all very attentive and food was quite good. Even their region jets had better service than US carriers. Will get to do the 787 direct on my return. Really decent airline option, especially for those looking for a rewarding Star Alliance program.

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; May 6, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old May 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
So I finally flew avianca, service exceeded my expectations. I did LAX-BOG connecting in SAL and FAs were all very attentive and food was quite good. Even their region jets had better service than US carriers. Will get to do the 787 direct on my return. Really decent airline option, especially for those looking for a rewarding Star Alliance program.
What class?
Old May 6, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

What class?

Business class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.