Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Always Flyin
7/2/2018 update (either the link or this method may die at any point):
Here's the steps for those booked Asiana flight using UA (or other) miles.
For all award trips, "Find my trip" doesn't work.
Select "Check-in" and fill the information. But not through the check-in button at the bottom of the first page. Go through "BOOK" at the top bar and then click "check-in". https://flyasiana.com/I/US/EN/CheckIn.do#none
You must have the ASIANA record locator number, which is available on the United site for your reservation.
It won't allow check-in because your travel date is too far away. But it lets us to select seats !!
Remember: between 72 and 48 hours before each flight, all good seats (front Y) are open.

======
Note: Seat selection now available at time of booking, before payment.
Online Advance Seat Reservation
Go to Reservations > Click on My Reservations > Login or Continue as Guest > Find or Enter Reservation Number > Click on Advance Seat Reservation located near the bottom of View Reservation Info screen
Print Wikipost

Asiana Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I couldn't get it to work with a pre-Amadeus code (from 6 months ago) nor a (presumably) Amadeus code from this morning. Tried all combinations of first name + MR, etc. No middle name or initial here.

What did work for me is to call the reservations line and the nice agent helped me select seats.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:30 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
THANKS !!! I actually got this to work!!!! On a UA issued award ticket no less.
It worked for me too! Thank you
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ltabi
It worked for me too! Thank you
The link and very helpful name formatting tip worked for me too. UA Business (I) award itinerary on EVA outbound and Asiana inbound.

The OZ partner PNR given on UA's site actually didn't work. Instead, I used the Amadeus PNR I got by plugging in the ticket numbers on EVA's site. Watch out for popup blockers in your browser. It took me several minutes to figure out that I wasn't seeing any response from the site because Chrome blocked the seat selection popup window.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by dehory
The link and very helpful name formatting tip worked for me too. UA Business (I) award itinerary on EVA outbound and Asiana inbound.

The OZ partner PNR given on UA's site actually didn't work. Instead, I used the Amadeus PNR I got by plugging in the ticket numbers on EVA's site. Watch out for popup blockers in your browser. It took me several minutes to figure out that I wasn't seeing any response from the site because Chrome blocked the seat selection popup window.
Aha! This is very helpful. I didn't realize the BR confirmation number was an Amadeus number. Now the european OZ site worked for seat selection. One hint for people with long first and middle names: entering your honorific ("MR", "MISS", whatever) is probably not necessary. Otherwise Mabuk dan gila is correct that you have to enter the honorific right after the firstmiddle name.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:04 pm

Are you all selecting seats within the 72 hours as stated on the website, or doing it well in advance? I am getting an error pop-up, with all combinations of honorific, name, etc. Using the PNR from Eva, also tried using ticket number.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by transparent
Are you all selecting seats within the 72 hours as stated on the website, or doing it well in advance? I am getting an error pop-up, with all combinations of honorific, name, etc. Using the PNR from Eva, also tried using ticket number.
Perhaps try using the 8-digit locator number used by OZ?

Worked for me.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by transparent
Well before 72 hours.

Partner ticket numbers don't work with the OZ page, as far as I can tell.

The name(s) that should work are exactly the one(s) on the reservation with the original carrier. So, for instance, if it's a UA award ticket, and the name on the UA reservation is Mr. Joseph P Smith, then JOSEPHPMR should work on the OZ page. (If, somehow, the middle name got into the last name field, that might screw things up. Have your tried PSMITH or SMITHP in the last name field and JOSEPHMR in the first name field?)
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
THANKS !!! I actually got this to work!!!! On a UA issued award ticket no less.

Caveats. It only worked with my name in the following format....

If my name was Mabuk Dan Gila (not my real name), for family name / given name, I had to put GILA/MABUKDMR . Your name, middle name (or initial or lack thereof) and honorific appended to the end, may vary. In my case it ONLY worked with the middle initial and MR appended to the end of my first name.

The only "reservation number" that worked was the Amadeus booking reference. AKA the Asiana "6 character alphanumeric" booking reference. I also have the valid "Asiana 7 or 8 digit numerical" booking reference for this reservation but alas mine if of the 7 digit variety and this form requests the 8 digit variety so it didn't work with my 7 digit Asiana numerical booking reference.

The e-ticket is on United 016 ticket stock and the "Flight Ticket Number Inquiry" option did not work at all with any combination.

But it DID work on a UA Award ticket!!! With the Amadeus booking reference and my middle initial and MR appended to my First name.
Awesome. Worked for me. Thanks.

However, as stated above by Always Flyin:

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
OZ only assigns 2G and K in advance on the 77W. All other seats are airport check-in.
So didn't really help ME much, but I can confirm adding my FirstNameMiddleInitialMR worked to bring up the seating chart.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:54 am

Thanks for the tips everyone-- finally was able to get this to work. Had to call in and get the new OZ PNR (the one showing on UA was incorrect), and use the honorific. On a new reservation via US for Jan 2015, had to leave off the honorific and it worked.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by dehory

Link very helpful. ^^
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:15 am

Many Thanks

I can confirm that this method works for aeroplan reward tickets.

1- Make sure any pop-up killer is disabled.

2- In my case, worked for Chrome, worked for Explorer.

3- I was able to select seats for flights Feb 2015, so 10 months in advance.

4- only a few seats were available for booking in business class, maybe 6.

Thanks to all who cracked this nut.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I have a UA mileage ticket for ICN-LAX F and with no success trying any of the onliine techniques to get an advanced seat assignment, I finally called the Asiana LAX phone reservation number.

An agent (she had an American accent) was able to quickly look up my reservation and get my window seat assigned.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It worked.

Key is the figure out the correct format of names to input. That should be the EXACT format appears on your UA Award tickets.

On the UA etickets, mine the Given Name has the middle initial appended but no honorific. My husband's has both the middle initial and honorific appended. And that is exactly what is needed to pull up the OZ reservation to change seat assignment. Our initial upper deck seat assignments from calling OZ were reassigned to lower deck middle 3 seats section... I now changed them to the window/aisle side as upper deck looks very full.

Thanks a lot for those who have figured this out and shared the finding - both the link and the name format to use. ^
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The thing with the UA award ticket is that doesn't it ask you to also include your email when you are looking up your reservation?

I tried and tried the name combos (Even thought I don't have a middle name listed) but I figured since I didn't list an email on the OZ site when purchasing a ticket this was the reason I wasn't able to look it up.
However as said I was able to call the UA 1K line and in 2 min I got my OZ locator # and then called the USA OZ number and was politely given my window seat in F for JFK-ICN.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:06 am

Last month I flew JFK-ICN in F and then connected onto SQ. Through SQ's mobile app, I was able to select seats on my OZ flight with no problems. That being said, there were only two seats available for selection in F, one window seat and one aisle. I selected the window seat for my partner and I selected the aisle seat for myself, hoping to get a window seat using the online check-in system. The online check-in never released any other seats, so I figured that I was stuck and I even called OZ the day prior to the flight and the helpful agent said that all the other seats were blocked. When we got to the airport, we found out that we were the only two in F that day, and we had our choice of whatever seats we wanted. So just a reminder, that OZ keeps a lot of seats under airport control, so if there is a particular seat you do want, make sure to ask at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.