Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Sheraton in Phuket & Bankok ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

We are planning to stay at the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket and Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers in Bangkok at around the end of December, 2006 for our honeymoon.
Any advice on these hotels will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, we like to stay at Starwood properties, but will be open to other suggestions.

Thanks,
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:23 pm
Yub

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We stayed at the Marriott Phuket Beach Club and at the Sheraton Grande Laguna. Both were excellent. I did a short write-up on the Sheraton Grande Laguna Golf Villas here: Link

The golf villa was perfect for a family, and might be large for just the two of you, but you might enjoy the additional privacy of the villa.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:58 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by Asia
We are planning to stay at the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket and Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers in Bangkok at around the end of December, 2006 for our honeymoon.
Any advice on these hotels will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, we like to stay at Starwood properties, but will be open to other suggestions.

Thanks,
While the service at the Royal Orchid in Bangkok is good, the rooms are pretty worn and in need of refurbishing. I would strongly suggest either the Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien or the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, both Starwood properties, both very beautiful rooms, and both Starwood properties. Prices are similar to those at the Royal Orchid.
Congrats on your wedding!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 4:16 am

Congratulations!
The Royal Orchid is not in the best area (IMO). Stayed there once, and realized it was a little sketchy walking anywhere around the hotel.
We usually stay at the Westin Sukhumvit and have always received excellent service on the executive floor - and 9/10 times receive the Plat upgrade to a suite.

Sheraton Grande Laguna is wonderful...for two people I would suggest the two bedroom with the included breaky - it is fabulous! The golf villas are fairly large - however the private pool is wonderful. Great beach and lots of little restaurants to walk to.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dh01
While the service at the Royal Orchid in Bangkok is good, the rooms are pretty worn and in need of refurbishing. I would strongly suggest either the Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien or the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, both Starwood properties, both very beautiful rooms, and both Starwood properties. Prices are similar to those at the Royal Orchid.
Congrats on your wedding!

Thank you very much for your advice. I am going to cancel my reservation at the Royal Orchid and book at either the Royal Meridien or the Sheraton Grande. Between the the Royal Meridien and the Sheraton Grande, which hotel would you said is more conveniently located for shopping and dinning .

Thank you very much,
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Thank you very much for your advice. I am going to cancel my reservation at the Royal Orchid and book at either the Royal Meridien or the Sheraton Grande. Between the the Royal Meridien and the Sheraton Grande, which hotel would you said is more conveniently located for shopping and dinning .

Thank you very much,
I would recommend the Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien over the Grande. More luxurious hotel, same prices, super restaurant.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Platinum; HH Gold: Marriott; SPG Gold

Thanks,
Asia,

My Fiancee and I are staying as the SGS + GL-Phuket (amoung other stops) as part of our honeymoon - upcoming in the first 2 weeks of Nov 2006. Let me know if you need anything specific to be researched and I'll see what I can find out during our trip and post what I find out when I return.

C-N.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by dh01
I would recommend the Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien over the Grande. More luxurious hotel, same prices, super restaurant.
I would select the Sheraton Grande. It is located an easy walking distance to the Skytrain and Subway. That way you can avoid being trapped in traffic for hours. Remember rush hour traffic in Bangkok is 8AM to 11PM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:18 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
AT 3000 Starpoints weekends and 4000 Starpoints weekdays

Le Meridien Plaza Athenee is the best deal anywhere on SPG.com

Royal Orchid is great if you demand a view of a Brown smelly river and noisy Long Tail Taxi Boats. The new Elite Room are also quite nice, but the regular rooms are mediocre. However if you plan New Years Eve in Bangkok then of course the River is the place to be for Fireworks etc.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:20 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by glob99
Remember rush hour traffic in Bangkok is 8AM to 11PM.

That is a Total Lie !!!

Its actually 6AM to 11PM
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrsalesgirl
Congratulations!
The Royal Orchid is not in the best area (IMO). Stayed there once, and realized it was a little sketchy walking anywhere around the hotel.
We usually stay at the Westin Sukhumvit and have always received excellent service on the executive floor - and 9/10 times receive the Plat upgrade to a suite.

Sheraton Grande Laguna is wonderful...for two people I would suggest the two bedroom with the included breaky - it is fabulous! The golf villas are fairly large - however the private pool is wonderful. Great beach and lots of little restaurants to walk to.
Can you please advise if the Westin Sukhumvit is located near the airport? I have a catch an early flight from Bangkok to Phuket. Also, is there any good shopping area close by to the Westin?

Thanks,
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

One more question, in phuket, how does the Le Méridien Phuket Beach Resort compare to the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket? From the website, it seems like the Le Meridien has a much nicer (bigger) swimming pool and is also close by to shopping and restaurants.

Thanks,
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:02 pm

One more question, in phuket, how does the Le Méridien Phuket Beach Resort compare to the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket? From the website, it seems like the Le Meridien has a much nicer (bigger) swimming pool and is also close by to shopping and restaurants.

Thanks,
The LeMeridien is certainly closer to the nightlife areas of the island. But there are good shopping and many excellent restaurants just outside the Laguna Resorts complex where the Sheraton is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.