Reload this Page >

absolute BEST small hotels in Bangkok! - my list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

absolute BEST small hotels in Bangkok! - my list

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:17 pm

I'll chime in with another recommendation for the Old Bangkok Inn. My partner and I stayed here recently. Unfortunately I was laid up ill for a day while in BKK and was so glad to have a beautiful room to lounge in. It was also nice that the place has a great library of DVDs and each room comes with a DVD player. The owners of this place are great.

http://www.asiatravel.com/thailand/o...inn/photo.html
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:55 pm

Old Bangkok Inn

I´m posting now from the Old Bangkok Inn. I arrived last evening, sometime after midnight, was met by their
driver who whisked through an unmarked door to the parking garage where a vintage Mercedes waited to take me into the city. One of the owners (itś a mother and son) stayed up to welcome me. The room is lovely and well appointed. High speed internet is provided by a combo pc/tv/dvd. I asked for a breakfast of fresh fruit and was presented with a delicious selection the following morning. The co-owner (mom) apologized for the small variety of fruit and promised more for the next morning. I´m typing this before breakfast and will post again tomorrow. Last night, the son and a couple of his friends saw me waiting outside for a taxi to take me to dinner. There was some confusion as to where the restaurant was located. They swept me up, made a few phone calls, and deposited me at the place in a matter of minutes - on their way to dinner! The OBI is not a full-on hotel and will not appeal to those who need a boat load of services. It is a welcoming, gracious and interesting alternative. I highly recommend it.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Thai ROP Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chefdg1
I´m posting now from the Old Bangkok Inn. I arrived last evening, sometime after midnight, was met by their
driver who whisked through an unmarked door to the parking garage where a vintage Mercedes waited to take me into the city. One of the owners (itś a mother and son) stayed up to welcome me. The room is lovely and well appointed. High speed internet is provided by a combo pc/tv/dvd. I asked for a breakfast of fresh fruit and was presented with a delicious selection the following morning. The co-owner (mom) apologized for the small variety of fruit and promised more for the next morning. I´m typing this before breakfast and will post again tomorrow. Last night, the son and a couple of his friends saw me waiting outside for a taxi to take me to dinner. There was some confusion as to where the restaurant was located. They swept me up, made a few phone calls, and deposited me at the place in a matter of minutes - on their way to dinner! The OBI is not a full-on hotel and will not appeal to those who need a boat load of services. It is a welcoming, gracious and interesting alternative. I highly recommend it.
Now that's great service! Having lived in BKK for 4+ years (now relocated to HK) this entices me to give the OBI a try for sure on my next visit.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:56 pm

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chacker
Now that's great service! Having lived in BKK for 4+ years (now relocated to HK) this entices me to give the OBI a try for sure on my next visit.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments!
Ditto! It never occurred to me to try anything but the large hotels you can book through agents in Singapore.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:45 am
Original Poster

tripadvisor

The OBI has also gotten rave reviews on tripadvisor.com, infact they are # 1 on tripadvisor's list of inns/B&Bs in Bangkok!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:39 pm

siam society hotel

Has anyone ever heard of the siam society hotel? Some of the rooms supposedly have tuk tuk and boxing rinks converted into beds - just curious!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:06 am

looking for hotel in Chiang Mai

Since we're on this subject, does anybody know the name of a small hotel (I remember that it has no more than 5 rooms) that is operated by the former manager of the Oriental? I hear its a real beauty!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location wise... which is better for the typical tourist the Old Bangkok Inn or the Ibrik?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:02 pm

Ibrik Or Obi

Originally Posted by chexfan
Location wise... which is better for the typical tourist the Old Bangkok Inn or the Ibrik?
I've stayed at both places. They are equally wonderful. The Ibrik is on the Thonburi side within walking distance of Tha Wang Lang express boat. This is super convenient - except - the boats stop running as the evening gets later. You are then locked into a taxi or tuk-tuk. The OBI is easier access late at night. Otherwise you'll be happy at either.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL SM
Obi

Can the OBI accommodate infants? I'll be traveling with my wife and 11-month old in December, and was curious as to how much of a hassle it'll be to get a crib/crib equivalent.

Also, how is the transporation situation handled to and from the airport? We'll be leaving at 0600 on our day of departure.

Thanks much.

Last edited by The Truth Commission; Oct 12, 2006 at 5:30 pm
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: aa
We were looking at the Reflection hotel as someone else mentioned eariler, but now that I see OBI i cant decide. which would you choose?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always enjoyed my stay at the Swiss Lodge on Convent Road in the Silom area.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:33 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I stayed at the Atlanta for two miserable nights and will never stay there again. The place is run by pretentious, condescending folks who have rested on their laurels for way too long and now represents a horrible value. It may have been a wonderful place in the 50's, but the rooms today are in a sorry state of repair--dripping faucets and showerheads, dirty rooms full of scum, mildew, and mold, and "hot water" showers that--for some reason--fail to deliver any hot water at all.

Granted, the lobby is nice, but the rest of the place is a dump. I'm surprised it hasn't been torn down yet for a go-go bar to be built in its place!
The Atlanta is kinda a dump, but it is also kinda homey which is nice when you are on the road. And it costs less than twenty bucks a night. Also, it has one of the best restaurants in BKK (theoretically, you must be a guest to eat there, but, if you are nice and don't bring a bar girl along, you may be admitted). I usually mix up my stay with a few nights at the Atlanta and some at the JW Marriott, just up the street. If you stay at the Atlanta the JW makes a nice place to have breakfast in the coffee shop and read the English language press.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
A Second Recommendation for Silom Serene

Originally Posted by g_leyser
I would like to add another to your list:
The Silom-Serene: http://www.silom-serene.com/
I stayed there in May and it was really great value. Great location near all the action, but very peaceful once inside the hotel and out by the pool.
Very nice breakfast every morning as well.
I would highly recommend it!
On the strength of your recommendation, I stayed at Silom Serene in May 2006 when Thailand celebrated the 60th anniversary of the ascension of the king of Thailand to the throne.

The hotel is on a quiet block of Silom street in Bangkok's banking district and two blocks from an elevated transit train. In addition to Leyser's comments, I would add that the dinners are excellent as well. People reserving stays can chose from various packages of full or partial board and various other amenities at all all-inclusive price. Prices are VERY reasonable. Rooms are on the plain side decoration-wise, but are clean, big enough, and very comfortable with all the usual fixtures in good working order.

The staff are friendly, helpful, and efficient. The night when all of Bangkok was at the National Palace for the highpoint of the ascension celebration -- the king's address to his people, the hotel staff of couse stayed to work. When the time for the king's address came, the staff set up a TV in the upstairs business lobby, and they gathered all together with lit yellow candles for themselves and any guests hanging around. We all stood together to sing Thailand's national anthem. This experience was real and heartfelt, and taught me a lot of the depth of the Thai peoples' feelings for their king. It also speaks to how wonderful Silom Serene is as a hotel. It is real Thai hospitality, and my stay there I won't forget!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I've always enjoyed my stay at the Swiss Lodge on Convent Road in the Silom area.
I second that recommendation for the Swiss Lodge.
A very pleasant hotel if you need to stay in the Silom-Sathorn area of Bangkok.

-- Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.