Community
Wiki Posts
Search

smog in malaysia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

smog in malaysia?

should i be concerned? i've read conflicting reports...
we'll be in KL and Penang from 9/7-9/12
thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
It really depends on how many fires are still burning at that time, wind conditions, the amount of rain, etc. The haze has dissipated over much of KL now due to heavy rains, and is only affecting Penang slightly, but all that could change when the downpours end.

If the last haze emergency (in 1997) is of any guidance, the peak haze period would be September. By October, the monsoon winds change and the smoke blows in a different direction. But it does look like there's a concerted effort (and much furor from Malaysia) now to put out the fires in Sumatra before the haze worsens in the next month or so. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Actually it was the wind rather than the rain that pushed the haze towards the north over the last weekend, despite what was reported in the Malaysian press. The rain in KL came a day after the haze was gone.

Whether or not the haze will return depends very much on the Indonesian government, not mother nature. Blaming Malaysian companies operating in Indonesia is rubbing salt in the wound for those of us affected by the haze, especially when sattelite pictures indicated otherwise. The fact of the matter is that the open burning took place in Indonesia, and its up to the Indonesian government to act !!

Last edited by mario33; Aug 16, 2005 at 10:58 pm
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smog has always been an issue in that region of the continent. Don't think it's as bad as it is in Jakarta though.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Smog has always been an issue in that region of the continent. Don't think it's as bad as it is in Jakarta though.
You have an airport (SZB) and a port (Port Klang) forced to close, schools in an entire state forced to close, and 2 districts declared under a State of Emergency (everything closed except for essential services). Is that bad enough?

When I look out of my window, I cant even see the building across the street. You smell smoke everywhere, even in your own house if you leave a small gap in your window. Is that bad enough?

You have the API reading exceeding 500 which is the benchmark for hazardeous level, and numerous deaths from asthma, breathing difficulties etc Is that bad enough ?

Haze was never a problem prior to 1997, before the massive forest clearing and burning in Sumatra took place. And its not something that we should have to live with

Last edited by mario33; Aug 18, 2005 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I hope the situation improves for everyone affected.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Today's paper in Tokyo said rains yesterday improved the situation a lot. A typhoon is headed our way now, but I don't know if it will clip Indonesia or not.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
You have an airport (SZB) and a port (Port Klang) forced to close, schools in an entire state forced to close, and 2 districts declared under a State of Emergency (everything closed except for essential services). Is that bad enough?

When I look out of my window, I cant even see the building across the street. You smell smoke everywhere, even in your own house if you leave a small gap in your window. Is that bad enough?

You have the API reading exceeding 500 which is the benchmark for hazardeous level, and numerous deaths from asthma, breathing difficulties etc Is that bad enough ?

Haze was never a problem prior to 1997, before the massive forest clearing and burning in Sumatra took place. And its not something that we should have to live with
If you think smog in KUL is that horrendous then you would definately not want to go to CGK. KUL is paradise when compared to CGK in that department.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:31 am
Suspended

If you think smog in KUL is that horrendous then you would definately not want to go to CGK. KUL is paradise when compared to CGK in that department.
You obviously have not been watching the news on CNN or BBC !

The OP was making reference to reports on the recent haze in KL which breached the Air Pollution Index (API) of 500 three weeks ago.

If Jakarta was as badly affected by the haze as Kuala Lumpur 3 weeks ago, why is it that the media focused just on Kuala Lumpur and nothing was mentioned about Jakarta

Were you in Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta 3 weeks ago to qualify you to make comments that the situation was worse in Jakarta

The only fact that you got right is that I would definitely not want to go to CGK . I had a couple of layovers there but I never had the desire to venture into the city centre.

Last edited by mario33; Aug 24, 2005 at 11:39 am
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:12 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by blueDC
If the last haze emergency (in 1997) is of any guidance, the peak haze period would be September. By October, the monsoon winds change and the smoke blows in a different direction. But it does look like there's a concerted effort (and much furor from Malaysia) now to put out the fires in Sumatra before the haze worsens in the next month or so. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
I very well remember that year 1997. In September that year I stayed in SIN and travelled on to Langkawi. Haze was pretty thick in SIN and the Silkair flight was delayed by four hours due to the thick haze in LGK. When we arrived at the Datai, the resort was almost empty as most guests had fled due to the low visibility and smell. Nothing I would want to experience again. Definitely not good for a relaxing holiday.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Jakarta was as badly affected by the haze as Kuala Lumpur 3 weeks ago, why is it that the media focused just on Kuala Lumpur and nothing was mentioned about Jakarta
It's because CGK has always been worse than KUL in that department. It's nothing new in CGK so why does the media have to bother about it?

As a matter of fact only Bangkok and Mexico City have worse air pollution/smog than Jakarta among cities worldwide.

I'm only pointing out the fact that Jakarta overall is worse than KUL so why is it you have be irritated with the comparisons? Chill out!

Last edited by Rejuvenated; Aug 24, 2005 at 6:06 pm
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:52 pm
Suspended

I'm only pointing out the fact that Jakarta overall is worse than KUL so why is it you have be irritated with the comparisons? Chill out!
Irritated because you have no knowledge of how bad the haze was in KL 3 weeks ago but you kept insisting that it could not be as bad as Jakarta. Can you tell me the API in Jakarta 3 weeks ago ?

The media did not report on Jakarta 3 weeks ago because the API in Jakarta was no where near 500. Can you tell me how many days in a year do you have the API exceeding 500 in Jakarta ?

Irritated because you kept on naming other cities and make comments like you would definitely not want to go to ...... as if no one else have been there except you. Your friends may be impressed by your travels, but remember this is FT and no one here is likely to be impressed.

May I suggest you read carefully what the discussion here is about before making comments that is so OT. And yes ,please do grow up as its mandatory on FT
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Irritated because you have no knowledge of how bad the haze was in KL 3 weeks ago but you kept insisting that it could not be as bad as Jakarta. Can you tell me the API in Jakarta 3 weeks ago ?
I've only made comparisons between two cities and it's a proven fact that air pollution is worse in JKT. If you can't accept reality and continue to be irritated by reality, then you can always see a psychiatrist.
The media did not report on Jakarta 3 weeks ago because the API in Jakarta was no where near 500. Can you tell me how many days in a year do you have the API exceeding 500 in Jakarta ?
There is no need to prove any API in JKT. Only Bangkok and Mexico city has been labeled to have worse air pollution than JKT. You would have an argument if KUL was listed among BKK and MEX as cities worse off than JKT. But it's not there so you don't have one.
Irritated because you kept on naming other cities and make comments like you would definitely not want to go to ...... as if no one else have been there except you. Your friends may be impressed by your travels, but remember this is FT and no one here is likely to be impressed.
I only named one city (Jakarta) for the comparison to KUL so I have no idea where your crazy mind went in accusing me of naming other cities (plural) when I only named one (singular).
May I suggest you read carefully what the discussion here is about before making comments that is so OT. And yes ,please do grow up as its mandatory on FT
Only people like you who make false accusations and comments like that need to grow up. Wow I brought the comparison of air pollution/smog between JKT and KUL and it is soooooooo OT. Learn to discover what the definition of OT is before making such bold accusations.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:12 am
Suspended

Rejuvenated,

If you bother to read carefully, the discussion here is on the recent haze in KL 3 weeks ago since the OP was concerned about the conflicting reports he has read recently.

I gave an overview of the situation but you remarked that it could not have been worse than Jakarta. To correct you, I gave a detailed description of the situation here whereby I even mentioned that certain districts were under a "State of Emergency".

I would have thought that a person with a reasonable level of intelligence would by now have realised that it was no ordinary "city smog" we were talking about, but no you kept insisting that it cannot be worse than Jakarta and even implied how "less travelled" I have been to complain about the recent haze in KL.

Sometimes we assume the wrong facts (myself included) but when someone who is more familiar with a place or situation points it out to us, we take a step back and try to figure out whether we have got it wrong. If we realised that we have got the wrong facts, we accept it graciously and move on.

However in your case, you just cannot accept the fact that you had underestimated the situation in KL 3 weeks ago. Instead you went on the offensive and insisted that you were right from the begining, making a fool of yourself.

The OP has already got the feedback he was seeking on the situation, and I am not interested in having childish arguments with you. If you insist on making yourself appear even more foolish than what you have already done, go ahead. Flyertalkers are in general a bunch of very well informed and knowledgeable folks, who can easily distinguish who's telling the facts and who's not.

Good luck to you !
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have sent you a PM. Everything I want to respond to the above statements are in there. You can take it or leave it from there. I have certainly rest my case! If you have further disagreements or would like to respond to my PM, please send me a PM yourself rather than drag this thread further down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.