Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

so many countries so little time Thailand, Vietnam, Phillipines, Cambodja.., China...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

so many countries so little time Thailand, Vietnam, Phillipines, Cambodja.., China...

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by allisonflyer
We only went to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh (which we really enjoyed), but if we had more time, we would have spent a day or two in Kampot, not too far from Chau Doc.
allisonflyer beat me to it: I was also going to recommend Kampot and nearby Kep. I was down there a few weekends ago and, though it has changed quite a bit in the last few years, it remains my favorite provincial capital. Kep is also close by (20-30 minutes) and the lodging options there have improved immeasurably in the last couple of years. Both places have great (though different) scenery, decaying but beautiful architecture, fantastic seafood, and a very relaxed lifestyle. You can stay in either place and see the sights of the area -- or stay 1-2 nights in each place.

In addition to the Tales of Asia website (which is now a bit outdated), I would check out the advertiser-supported Canby Publications guide sections on Kampot and Kep, (especially good for their maps, transport info and general descriptions). Also, the NYT just ran an article on Kampot and Kep a few weeks ago (as well as one on Siem Reap).

Re: travel between Chau Doc and Kampot/Kep, I know that there are a number of independent tour guides and hotels/travel agencies that advertise transport directly from Kampot/Kep to Chau Doc -- and so I imagine that you can do it in the other direction. But you might want to contact one of the agencies / guides in advance, and arrange to be picked up. I don't know how much a car from Chau Doc to Kampot/Kep costs, but it should be in the neighborhood of $15-$25 o/w (for the whole car, not per person).

Please feel free to let me know if you'd like more information.

Happy travels,
Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.