Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Except for hotels, restaurants, golf, traffic, and the hajj terminal, there's nothing to see near Cengkareng.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I can only answer for the discos in the northern part of the city...they're nuts! Actually, the one I used to frequent - Stadium - was shut down last year, but to sum up that place, drugs, drugs and drugs.
I would have added "smoke, sex" between each drugs comment, myself. It's been a decade since I had been to Stadium, though. With all the swordplay, and the above problems, it just wasn't interesting to me.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Rare for me to ask as i'd normally answer

But jumping the new new Garuda flights, but a connection has left me 6-7 hours in CGK. Not heading into town to see the relatives (will see them on return) - it's during the day. So thinking of paid for lounges, day rooms or anywhere within 20-30 minutes taxi (no golf!) that I could stretch my legs to see. I normal get out at CGK so not used to transitting (but as a result can do immigration quick and know my way around the airport).

I don't that free lounge access - so best paid for in the airport? (Will be going GA Intl to GA Domestic). Or can I get a day room at Sheraton (presume rip off). The in-airport hotel gets terrible reviews, a friend has mentioned FM7, and I know other places (POP? Ibis?) have cropped up, wouldn't mind paying for a room, a pool, and a place I can get a bintang?

Thanks in advance!
I've never had to pay for a lounge, but I wouldn't think they were more than $25-35. I've also never been excited by the lounges, either. You won't be confusing them with The Pier or Wing.

I recall looking at the pricing for hotels. Other than the SPG property, 400/600k seemed the average. I'm not sure if they have a pool. I'd check on a hotel shuttle, as a taxi driver might not like the short ride.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've never had to pay for a lounge, but I wouldn't think they were more than $25-35. I've also never been excited by the lounges, either. You won't be confusing them with The Pier or Wing.

I recall looking at the pricing for hotels. Other than the SPG property, 400/600k seemed the average. I'm not sure if they have a pool. I'd check on a hotel shuttle, as a taxi driver might not like the short ride.
Thanks - i've been into quite a few lounges in DPS/LOP but never CGK. They are all dark and fairly depressing, so if I can get HI CGK cheaply (US$30 looks possible) which has a pool, bar and shuttle that looks preferable.

I have a secret love - the smell of Kretek at the airport when I get out - so rather not be stuck in air conditioned lounge in transit!

And thanks BMB - from the hundreds of drives to/from the airport I can't remember seeing anything worthy of stopping to see, wasn't sure of the other direction.

As an aside, is their any movement on the Jakarta Skytrains? Are the concrete structures still all over the place? I'm presuming not!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Or can I get a day room at Sheraton (presume rip off). The in-airport hotel gets terrible reviews, a friend has mentioned FM7, and I know other places (POP? Ibis?) have cropped up, wouldn't mind paying for a room, a pool, and a place I can get a bintang?
I've stayed at the FM7 "resort" a few times, and I've been perfectly happy with it as one-nighter. Transfers work well.

They offer day rates of $20 or so including transfer and use of their spa/pool: no idea if that includes a room for a couple of hours as well. If you keep your expectations at the $20 level you're unlikely to be disappointed
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've stayed at the FM7 "resort" a few times, and I've been perfectly happy with it as one-nighter. Transfers work well.

They offer day rates of $20 or so including transfer and use of their spa/pool: no idea if that includes a room for a couple of hours as well. If you keep your expectations at the $20 level you're unlikely to be disappointed
I'll drop them a line - sounds perfect.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:28 am

How much time is needed to traverse the airport? My flight, from Tokyo, lands at 4:35 pm. I am thinking of jumping on the Garuda plane at 6:30. Is tht enough time or should I take the 7:15 plane to be safe?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
How much time is needed to traverse the airport? My flight, from Tokyo, lands at 4:35 pm. I am thinking of jumping on the Garuda plane at 6:30. Is tht enough time or should I take the 7:15 plane to be safe?
Both of your flights involve the same terminal, even though they are in different sections of it.

That said, even if you're not checking bags, a 7:15pm flight would give me more peace-of mind (say, if your flight is late coming in, or if immigration queues are as clogged as usual). Waiting an extra 45 minutes isn't too bad.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:29 pm

I'll be in town on June 9th if anyone is interested in meeting up.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Can I get an update on the CGK airport hotel? heard it's closed indefinitely

As for the FM7 how are transit times around 7pm? I keep being told traffic is horrid but we arrive at 6pm, leave for Sorong 1:10am. That *should* be long enough for a shower, food and some rest is it not?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:48 pm

OK knowledgable peeps.

Any recommendations for 2 bed suites in CGK - reasonably central (closer to national monument the better). Don't mind if it's bland, or a chain (can be good for upgrades?) - reasonably prices (under US$100 a night?).

Any suggestions or clever ideas?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
OK knowledgable peeps.

Any recommendations for 2 bed suites in CGK - reasonably central (closer to national monument the better). Don't mind if it's bland, or a chain (can be good for upgrades?) - reasonably prices (under US$100 a night?).

Any suggestions or clever ideas?
There is Mercure Sabang which recently open. I think the rate is definitely under USD100/night and very close to national monument. Take a look.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:26 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting Aston at Kuningan Suites for about US$90 (flash sale) - reviews seem fine for what they offer.

I did have my eye on the Mercure Sabang, but would have needed to be 2 rooms.

Last edited by Sam Bee; Jun 3, 2015 at 3:37 am
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Garuda GFF Gold + Miles and More + QR Gold
Anybody knows if there is a fasttrack lane for voa/immigration when flying business with Garuda ?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by PVDM
Anybody knows if there is a fasttrack lane for voa/immigration when flying business with Garuda ?
If you're lucky, Garuda does your VOA for you on the plane on certain flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.