Search

Please Critique My Bali, Sulawesi, and Java Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: most of them
No, 5 nights Yogya (Java). The rest was in Bali. I went Bali-Yogya-Bali
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Glen. I think it will work out flying into Denpasar, and out of Surabaya. I'll plan on getting a ticket for about three weeks, and work out the details later. I'll post a detailed itinerary at a later date. Thanks again for all your help, and the great trip report.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold
My trip in August 2013 was 9 nights on Bali in 3 different locations then 7 nights on central Java. We flew DPS JOG for $50 Then we had a driving tour in the area for 5 days, 4 nights and spent the last 3 nights on Jogya at the Phoenix Hotel. I really enjoyed Java far more than Bali. We saw very few western tourists. What you will see are hordes of Chinese tourists, they are everywhere. After Jogya we took a short flight to Jakarta for our flights home on JL via Tokyo. We flew over on CX via HKG and these were award tix.

If you are interested I can give you the name of the 2 different drivers we had for each place. private tours are the way to go.

Susie
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you, susiesann. Yes, that would be great if you could supply the name of your drivers. Did you use an agency, or book direct?

Why did you prefer Java to Bali? Was it the fact that Bali had too many tourists? I agree with you about tour groups. Even the most polite of them are annoying--they block doorways, and make too much noise.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Sounds like a great trip.

Ubud is quite busy so if you want to stay there - try a hotel that is out of town a little - so its really peaceful for you.

Try one of the ridge walks - maybe the one that ends up at Sari Organic Restaurant - make sure you make a reservation - it can only be accessed by motor bike or walking.

I would suggest maybe the Sideman Valley - if you want rural peaceful Bali

As far as Surabaya - switch that to Yogyakarta - and visit both Borobodur and Prambanan - they can be done in a day.

Borobodur is one of the wonders of the world and if you are nearby this is a must visit.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: most of them
I think the problem with Bali is that it takes a long time to get between places due to the small roads and volume of traffic.

I liked Yogya a little better because I really enjoyed my driver who was a really nice kid. And getting from place to place was just a little easier I think.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by pho9187
Thank you, susiesann. Yes, that would be great if you could supply the name of your drivers. Did you use an agency, or book direct?

Why did you prefer Java to Bali? Was it the fact that Bali had too many tourists? I agree with you about tour groups. Even the most polite of them are annoying--they block doorways, and make too much noise.
This is the driver we used on bali for 9 days:
[email protected]

This is the company who put together our 7 day Java trip:
[email protected]

I found both drivers through recommendations on Fodors. Bali is very touristy although you can get away from the busy area if you like. Java was much more "real" Indonesia. Absolutely go to Borobudur.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Bali is different to the rest of Indonesia, culturally

Indonesia is the worlds most populated Islamic nation, YET the island of Bali is predominately Hindu, a different Hindu variation from Indian Hindu - what is known as Balinese Hindu.

So there is a very different way of life, attitude and culture.

Yes Bali attracts lots of tourists - but even when you get really off the tourist trail - the little roads are busy with locals on the motor bikes and in cars trucks etc going about their daily life

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.