Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Problems getting Myanmar visa with no hotel address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I am planning to do Yangon and Bagan over the course of a weekend.

I land in Yangon afternoon. See Shwedagon Pagoda. Night bus to Bagan.

Arrive in Bagan early morning. See the main temples in the day. Get the night bus back to Yangon the same night.

Arrive in Yangon early morning, then head to airport ready for afternoon flight back to Thailand.

So I am spending 2 nights in Myanmar only, and both nights will be on a bus. This saves on expensive accomodation. But will I get a VISA if I do not have a contact address in Myanmar for my stay?
Old May 10, 2015, 11:36 pm

Why not just make a refundable booking at a hotel and use that address for your visa??

Or not even make a booking just use any hotel's address!
Old May 12, 2015, 2:16 pm

Your itinerary is silly. You will not enjoy Bagan at all because you will be falling asleep all day. Also, judging on your dozens of previous threads over the years, you will probably not like how basic Bagan's facilities are and the transport options.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Your itinerary is silly.
^
Old May 13, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
G'day!
Long time lurker, first-time poster.
I have greatly enjoyed browsing flyertalk in my spare time and thought I'd give something back by contributing.
I visited Yangon in April this year.
I rang the Myanmar Embassy in Canberra before I submitted my tourist visa application.
I asked about not having a hotel name to put on my application form too, as I didn't have one booked at the time I submitted my visa app.
The Myanmar embassy said this would not be a problem, as it was not something they even really looked at.
Disclaimer: Could be different for different nationalities etc.

BTW, another poster has said that the OP is not the type to travel not-in-style?
Yes, Burma's facilities are basic. I personally really enjoyed it - it was like living in a different time. I fantasised about living in the time of the British empire as I strolled the dark streets dotted with candlelight (electricity outage and not everyone can afford a generator), admiring the colonial buildings. Then my fantasy was pierced as I slipped on a pothole, scraped my knee and searched in vain for a chemist with adequate supplies.

5-star hotels sometimes....aren't really.
Just because they have built a 5-star hotel in Yangon that doesn't mean the underlying infrastructure (plumbing, electricity etc) will match that of Singapore.
Be prepared for blackouts, sewer blockages, no hot water etc.
Basic toilet and eating facilities throughout, even on-site at major Tourist attractions and the immediate surrounds (Bangkok and Bali this is not).

About the overnight trip to Bagan - if you can sleep on the bus and/or suck it up during the day, you'll be able to sightsee in Bagan, why not.
If time is of the essence, I recommend you do some research on buses in Myanmar. Do they break down? Trains often do. They are literally 100-year-old remnants of the British Empire. The exact same trains and stations as those in India, if you have been there. However, the Indian government has renovated a percentage of the trains and stations. Burma's trains are true relics - wooden floors, no escalators 'n all.

Any queries, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by adventuroustraveller; May 13, 2015 at 1:58 am
Old May 19, 2015, 3:46 am

Someone's going to be smelly. I wouldn't want to be sitting next to you on the flight to Thailand...
Old May 19, 2015, 4:38 am

Book a cheap hotel and take a shower before leaving Yangon.
Plenty of USD$25 hotels there. In fact, just ask if you can pay to use the shower for USD$10 or something.
Old May 19, 2015, 5:55 pm

I don't think they check the hotel names out.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just applied for a VOA. Put in the hotel where I am staying. Received the approval in about 2 hours. Point being that I doubt they check the hotel.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:16 am

BTW, not sure about VOA (it's a very new thing) but they do have an online visa application procedure too.
Problem is, the webpage didn't work. Internet in Myanmar is a hit-and-miss thing, so if the website is based there, could be why.
I got my tourist visa the old-fashioned way - paper form and post.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Put any name hotel, no proof of accommodation booking required.
Pick one of the main Yangon hotels eg Shangri-la (ex-Traders), Strand, Park Royal etc.

Many years of visa experience for Myanmar - hotel name has never been an issue.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Put any name hotel, no proof of accommodation booking required.
Pick one of the main Yangon hotels eg Shangri-la (ex-Traders), Strand, Park Royal etc.

Many years of visa experience for Myanmar - hotel name has never been an issue.
I applied for an e-Visa and informed the hotel I planned to stay, though I have not booked it so far, as I want to book a prepaid stay and could not commit without an approved visa.

Visa was granted the next day.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Hi A380Flyer,

You could apply online at the evisa.moip.gov.mm website. It is the official website for online visa application. You could use visafoto to make your Myanmar 38x46mm visa photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.