Wiki Posts
Search

Pakistan Visa for US citizens of Indian origin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Pakistan Visa for US citizens of Indian origin

I may have to go to Pakistan next year for work. Does anyone know how easy (or hard) it is to get a Pakistan visa if you are a Indian born naturalized US citizen? Would it be easier to get a business visa rather than a tourist visa?

Tried to do some research on the web but most of the discussions are Pakistan born or parented citizens of xyz country applying for an Indian visa.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm not sure to what extent religious bigotry is a factor in Pakistan's granting visas to US citizens, but I do know that many US citizens who were born in India have managed to get Pakistani visas in their US passports (to which most of the Indian-born US citizens are entitled to as naturalized citizens of the US but some others entitled to as natural-born US citizens with India listed as the birthplace).

I presume that if the birthplace is listed as a place in India that it may delay things a bit more (at least) than it does for those who were born in the US, but that's just a presumption made on the basis of a very small sample set since most of the people sent in their passports at different times, to different places or with a different history from one another (in terms of whether or not having a previous visa).
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I don't know specifically what the situation is for US citizens of Indian origin but very many UK citizens born in India get a Pakistani visa very easily. The Pakistani High commission in London takes about 2 hours to issue a visa if you arrive early enough.

The procedure is a lot more lengthy for Indian citizens (though a lot cheaper).
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully someone in the US can comment about their experiences.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
One thing I forgot to add is that many Pakistanis or those of Pakistini origin were born in India. Not so much the other way round.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Two of my Indian-born coworkers got visa to Pakistan earlier this year... no questions asked. Just standard visa application.

India is the one that tends to give Pakistan-born Americans (and I'm sure other passport holders) a lot of problems. Especially since the Mumbai attack. Justified or not, they have made it very difficult.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I know a number of US citizens or permanent residents of Indian heritage who have applied for visas to visit Pakistan (Business and Visit visas). None of them have had a problem securing a visa, although curiously, like the OP they all expected problems.

OP has probably reviewed the relevant information posted on the Pakistan Embassy website ( here).
OP should not apply for a Visitor visa if he is going to do any type of work in Pakistan. A Business visa will be required. Also, be sure to ask that they stamp "Police Registration NOT Required" on your passport.

Pakistan does not impose the type of restrictions on Indian citizens or citizens of other countries with Indian backgrounds that India imposes on Pakistani citizens and US citizens of Pakistani background. As another poster pointed out, a large number of Pakistani citizens were either born in India or have strong family connections in India. Also, contrary to popular misconception, most Pakistani's don't have any beef (forgive me) with India and in fact are rather hospitable to visitors of Indian background.

Finally, OP if you do experience any problems with your visa application, please PM me - I will be happy to assist in whatever way I can.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input and offer for help. Will keep in mind if and when I need to apply.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:38 pm

Still waiting

Applied a couple weeks ago. Gone to Islamabad for further screening. Seems pretty black box at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.