Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by roberta_h
hi, quick question about paying for a transfer from EZE into the city -- best to pay with credit card or withdraw just enough pesos from an airport ATM at the official rate? both basically the same?

i'm an american living in/traveling from europe so planning to use xoom or exchange euros closer to blue rate once i get into the city but not sure what's best upon arrival...
I guess it depends on the fees charged by your bank. I know in the UK some banks charge a £1 "non-Sterling fee" every time you withdraw money from a cashpoint in countries that don't have the pound as official currency (i.e. 99% of this planet), while such fee doesn't exist when using your credit card.

I'd first ask for the exchange rate at the transfer company desk. Perhaps it's better than the one offered by the banks through the cashpoint or cards.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
thanks, will double check exchange rates but probably just use my amex then (no foreign exchange fees)
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by roberta_h
hi, quick question about paying for a transfer from EZE into the city -- best to pay with credit card or withdraw just enough pesos from an airport ATM at the official rate? both basically the same?

i'm an american living in/traveling from europe so planning to use xoom or exchange euros closer to blue rate once i get into the city but not sure what's best upon arrival...
The best option is to pay the driver with US dollars. Check the blue rate a day before your departure and offer the driver max. 5% over it!
Stay clear of any official companies and deal with individual yellow taxi drivers only. Downside: low comfort cars and sometimes problematic AC. Absolutely safe though! On Feb. 2nd. 2015 I paid $ 25 including the tolls. It took me 2 cigarettes time and friendly and relaxed bargaining with 3 different drivers who approached me! Same guy drove me back to the airport a week later for $ 20 only.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:52 pm

Quick question.... Does Argentina offer a single jab Measles shot or only a MMR shot? and if a single jab Measles shot is offered, where can one go to get in while in Buenos Aires?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by JamesQ
Quick question.... Does Argentina offer a single jab Measles shot or only a MMR shot? and if a single jab Measles shot is offered, where can one go to get in while in Buenos Aires?
Now that's an unexpected question!

I'm far from being a physician myself, but I suggest you contact Stamboulian. They are the best people for vaccines in Buenos Aires: http://www.stamboulian.com.ar
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Am going to BA in August and have never traveled to South America before or anywhere else really that has anything like the "Blue Rate" that Argentina does. Although I don't expect anyone to have a crystal ball, what are the odds that the Blue Rate exchange will be similar at the end of August as it is now? Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gspurr
Am going to BA in August and have never traveled to South America before or anywhere else really that has anything like the "Blue Rate" that Argentina does. Although I don't expect anyone to have a crystal ball, what are the odds that the Blue Rate exchange will be similar at the end of August as it is now? Thanks
No one has a ball, let alone a crystal one, on this issue. It has fallen by about 2.5 since its peak, and it isn't because the peso is inherently stronger.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Marambio
Now that's an unexpected question!

I'm far from being a physician myself, but I suggest you contact Stamboulian. They are the best people for vaccines in Buenos Aires: http://www.stamboulian.com.ar
Thanks for the link, I see the MMR shot but not one for just M. :/
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gspurr
In my view, the only way the Blue rate will be significantly lower than current levels would have to be associated with Argentina floating the Peso. Chances of that are not impossible, but quite slim. Please remember that the quoted rates are SELL rates for the Dollar.... read up on the various threads on this forum with plenty of very useful information on what your options are for exchanging $$$.

In any event, perhaps the most important thing for you to remember is to not book a pre paid rate for your hotel..... get a post paid rate and make sure you can pay the bill in Pesos cash when you check out.

Safe travels !!!

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
After initially considering Retire and Palermo, I think that Recoleta might work best for me to stay for the first time in Buenos Aires.
Hotels that I have been looking at have the following rates for my dates (prepaid, non-refundable, tax not included) :

Buenos Aires Grand hotel, Deluxe Studio: $186/night
CasaSur Art, Superior: $199/night
Etoile, Executive Suite: $115/night
Loi Suites, Executive Studio: $160/night
Park Hyatt, Park King: $125/night + 40,000 points
Urban Suites, Suite with View: $138/night

In most cases I have chosen a room one step up from the basic option.
Most of these properties provide free, in-room wifi, except Loi Suites.
The Grand and PH do not provide free breakfast.

Any other properties I should be considering?
In the end, I stayed at Hotel Etoile for 4 night. Asked for and received a room facing the cemetery at the 10th floor. Very spacious room with queen bed and sofa. Exactly what I like. The only minor thing was that everything was rather dated and the bathroom could use a refurbishment. But in the end I liked the location and price I paid.

Definitely would like to visit BA again and hangout with my new friend I made. Maybe I'll try a condo in Palermo next time
Old May 1, 2015, 11:35 am

In the end, I stayed at Hotel Etoile for 4 night. Asked for and received a room facing the cemetery at the 10th floor. Very spacious room with queen bed and sofa. Exactly what I like. The only minor thing was that everything was rather dated and the bathroom could use a refurbishment. But in the end I liked the location and price I paid.

Definitely would like to visit BA again and hangout with my new friend I made. Maybe I'll try a condo in Palermo next time
On your next trip try to book a room or condo without prepaying it. You will save substantially by paying in pesos. For example the rate at the Etoile is about $119 with a 24 hr cancellation policy. Changing your dollars in the blue market and paying in pesos it would end up costing about $85/night.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
On your next trip try to book a room or condo without prepaying it. You will save substantially by paying in pesos. For example the rate at the Etoile is about $119 with a 24 hr cancellation policy. Changing your dollars in the blue market and paying in pesos it would end up costing about $85/night.
Yes, but don't forget I booked via Expedia and they gave me $200 off coupon for 4 nights. It ended up at $87.21/night.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:47 pm

Yes, but don't forget I booked via Expedia and they gave me $200 off coupon for 4 nights. It ended up at $87.21/night.
Now he tells us...
Old May 2, 2015, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Now he tells us...
What?
Old May 6, 2015, 9:00 pm

Another quick question,

Anyone recommend a place or places to see about selling an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 plus in BA? I am under the impression that they are highly desirable and was wondering if they are as easy to sell for USD as I have been told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.