Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
On my first day in Buenos Aires, I was "sprayed" by someone in one of those incidents in which the goal is apparently either to distract and engage in theft, or possibly to earn a gratuity by assisting in cleanup. This occurred in the park area overlooking the English Statue not too far from Retiro station. (this apparently happens all over the place, not just in Argentina, but this is the first time it's ever happened to me).

When a couple pointed out the sprayed material on my cloth bag (containing camera and maps) and clothes, I nonchalantly said "oh, that's OK" and walked off quickly with big, bold strides....much to their apparent dismay.
I am sooooo glad I read this before coming to Buenos Aires. Happened to me a couple days ago where some lady came up to be wanting to clean something off me. Since I knew about it before hand, I quickly said 'No' and kept walking (a little faster of course). Then some guy tried to get my attention by calling out at me in broken English. I ignored him and went on my way.

At first I didn't think they got me with anything, but looking afterwards when I got to my destination, I saw that they had tagged me with some kind of lotion that got on my bag and my pants. arg... so frustrating.

It was on Av. Florida at 7:30am Friday morning.

I have to give a big thanks to the FT community for helping me to be aware of this beforehand ^
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by justmeagain
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
On my first day in Buenos Aires, I was "sprayed" by someone in one of those incidents in which the goal is apparently either to distract and engage in theft, or possibly to earn a gratuity by assisting in cleanup. This occurred in the park area overlooking the English Statue not too far from Retiro station. (this apparently happens all over the place, not just in Argentina, but this is the first time it's ever happened to me).

When a couple pointed out the sprayed material on my cloth bag (containing camera and maps) and clothes, I nonchalantly said "oh, that's OK" and walked off quickly with big, bold strides....much to their apparent dismay.
I am sooooo glad I read this before coming to Buenos Aires. Happened to me a couple days ago where some lady came up to be wanting to clean something off me. Since I knew about it before hand, I quickly said 'No' and kept walking (a little faster of course). Then some guy tried to get my attention by calling out at me in broken English. I ignored him and went on my way.

At first I didn't think they got me with anything, but looking afterwards when I got to my destination, I saw that they had tagged me with some kind of lotion that got on my bag and my pants. arg... so frustrating.

It was on Av. Florida at 7:30am Friday morning.

I have to give a big thanks to the FT community for helping me to be aware of this beforehand ^
Glad you escaped the ambush...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Glad you escaped the ambush...
Gaucho, please constantly bump this topic on this thread. Didn't tell you but Hans and I had the lotion spray experience day before we left about a block up Arroyo (right by the church) from the Sofitel. We just turned around, told them to get away from us and that we were going back to our hotel to report this. The perpetrators took off....

We were lucky we could clean it off with just soap and water.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dedehans
Gaucho, please constantly bump this topic on this thread. Didn't tell you but Hans and I had the lotion spray experience day before we left about a block up Arroyo (right by the church) from the Sofitel. We just turned around, told them to get away from us and that we were going back to our hotel to report this. The perpetrators took off....

We were lucky we could clean it off with just soap and water.
Wow... another near miss... again, very glad to hear you guys managed to catch this. I will make sure to remind folks about this... ^
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:12 pm

Travel from EZE to AEP airport

Anyone know how much time I've got to give myself to get through customs, and grab a taxi from EZE to AEP airport? I am flying in at 11 a.m. or so and trying to get to Mendoza. Does anyone have a better option than switching airports. thank you.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by travler88
Anyone know how much time I've got to give myself to get through customs, and grab a taxi from EZE to AEP airport? I am flying in at 11 a.m. or so and trying to get to Mendoza. Does anyone have a better option than switching airports. thank you.
I would say at least 3 hours to play it safe. To fly to MDZ there is no alternative to AEP Im afraid.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, *wood Gold, Marriott
Glu Hotel

Hi Guys,

I mainly just read on the site, but I have a question. I'm trying to figure out if the Glu Hotel is in the middle of things in the Palermo SOHO barrio. Anyone?

Also I know this is the wrong forum, but since most ppl from BA go to Punta del Este, I figure this might be a good spot for a question. Idea of food costs - are we talking 20, 30, 40 dollars for a great meal?

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Do you have a website for the Hotel...?

Is it this one....?

www.thegluhotel.com
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Location is reasonable... its seems like a brand new opening. Have you checked over on Trip Advisor...??
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, *wood Gold, Marriott
Trip has them rated very high and says the neighborhood is great, but every top hotel they say is in a great neighborhood. With that said I'm a New Yorker, I wouldn't say 78th and 5th is in the thick of things, but 78th and 3rd is.

For Soho, what are some solid blocks? Excited to go and I truly admire you for going out of your way to help ppl enjoy BA. Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Remember that 2 Avenues distance in NY is like 5-6 blocks in Buenos Aires.... so even if the hotels block is not 'wow' - you will be well within range of the action.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:24 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As Gaucho100K has stated there is no "moderator" on this forum.
Correction...

...there is no moderator dedicated to the Argentina forum, which is actually currently under the purview of the Senior Moderators.

The Senior Moderators are here if you need us or our services.

Now, let us all please return to the topic, as this thread is the ultimate question and answer thread for anything related to Buenos Aires.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Please Remain On-Topic!

Well, I did my share of shortening this lengthy thread by removing 13 mileposts from it.

The purpose of this thread is simple: it is an ongoing ultimate general thread of questions and answers pertaining to Buenos Aires.

If there is a specific topic you would like discussed, please launch a new thread.

Now we can return to the main purpose and topic of this thread: asking questions and answers regarding Buenos Aires.

I try to be as fair and understanding as possible, but any FlyerTalk member who chooses to ignore this message and continue to post off-topic content is subject to possible disciplinary action.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:47 am

Buenos Aires

We stayed at Rooneysboutique hotel first and then rented a fully furnished apartment from www.myspaceba.com Buenos Aires is definatly the best city i have ever visited.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:01 pm

River Plate Game

I'm going to Argentina in November. I'm trying to figure out if River Plate has a home game on November 22nd, and is it worth going to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.